Article: Gokulashtami Vs Sri Jayanthi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Gokulashtami Vs Sri Jayanthi

I have pasted (not posted) that article here itself.

Gokulashtami Vs Sri Jayanthi

This year (Kara Year - 2011) The Gokulashtami and Sri Jayanthi Festivals are to be celebrated on dates given for different Sampradyas.
    1. Gokulashtami for Smarthas: 21-08-2011 - Sunday.
    2. Sri Jayanthi for Vaishnavas belongs to Vaikanasa & Munithraya : 22-08-2011 Monday.
    3. Sri Jayanthi for Vaishnavas belongs to Pancharatra : 23-08-2011 Tuesday.
    Krishna Janmashtami (Devanagari कृष्ण जन्माष्टमी kṛṣṇa janmāṣṭami), also known as Krishnashtami, Saatam Aatham,Gokulashtami, Ashtami Rohini, Srikrishna Jayanti, Sree Jayanthior sometimes merely as Janmashtami, is a Hindu festivalcelebrating the birth of Krishna, an Avatar of the Hindu deityVishnu.[1]

Krishna Janmashtami is observed on the Ashtamitithi, the eighth day of the dark half or Krishna Paksha of the month of Bhadrapadain the Hindu calendar, when the RohiniNakshatra is ascendant. The festival always falls within mid-August to mid-September in theGregorian calendar. In 2010, for example, the festival was celebrated on 2nd September, while in 2011, the festival will be celebrated on 22nd August.
    Rasa lila, dramatic enactments of the life of Krishna, are a special feature in regions of Mathura and Vrindavan, and regions followingVaishnavism in Manipur. While the Rasa lila re-creates the flirtatious aspects of Krishna's youthful days, the Dahi Handicelebrate God's playful and mischievous side, where teams of young men form human pyramids to reach a high-hanging pot of butter and break it. This tradition, also known as uriadi, is a major event in Tamil Nadu on Gokulashtami.

A twenty-four hour fast is observed on Sri Krishna Jayanti and this is broken at midnight. The most important mantra recited on the day is ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.’ How to celebrate or perform rituals on Sri Krishna Jayanti can be found here.

Temples and Hindu spiritual organizations conduct special bhjans and kirtan sessions. Processions with children dressed as Sri Krishna, Radha and Gopis are held on the occasion. Stories of Krishna are enacted on the day. In a twenty-four hour time span, we remember Sri Krishna superficially and quite often forget his true teachings.

The significance of Sri Krishna is that he used his life to explain to us the great teachings in Upanishads. In true sense, he is the Upanishad man. He lived in the moment. He was not an escapist from life. He accepted life in its entirety. He made life a celebration. He was the ever smiling god and that smile continues to conquer millions of hearts. Throughout, his life there was music and just before getting killed by the hunter’s bow he was playing the flute. Music and that immortal smile were present in his death.

But what have we done to Lord Krishna. We are unable to accept him in entirety, so we have compartmentalized Krishna. Some worship and like the young Sri Krishna, some like the Krishna with Radha, some like the Krishna who is delivering the Bhagavad Gita. This is because we are not used to a God who plays prank, dances, plays flute and solves the mysteries of life.

For many god is a commander, one who grants boons, one who automatically solves problems in life but Sri Krishna will never automatically solve your problems. This he demonstrated in the Kurukshetra while delivering the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna never took up arms but instead gave the right direction to Arjuna. In Kurukshetra, Sri Krishna was trying to make us understand the foolishness in expecting someone above (god) to deliver the goods. We have to perform the actions and each action will have a fruit.

Sri Jayanthi

A twenty-four hour fast is observed on Sri Krishna Jayanti and this is broken at midnight. The most important mantra recited on the day is ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.’ How to celebrate or perform rituals on Sri Krishna Jayanti can be found here.

Temples and Hindu spiritual organizations conduct special bhjans and kirtan sessions. Processions with children dressed as Sri Krishna, Radha and Gopis are held on the occasion. Stories of Krishna are enacted on the day. In a twenty-four hour time span, we remember Sri Krishna superficially and quite often forget his true teachings.

The significance of Sri Krishna is that he used his life to explain to us the great teachings in Upanishads. In true sense, he is the Upanishad man. He lived in the moment. He was not an escapist from life. He accepted life in its entirety. He made life a celebration. He was the ever smiling god and that smile continues to conquer millions of hearts. Throughout, his life there was music and just before getting killed by the hunter’s bow he was playing the flute. Music and that immortal smile were present in his death.

But what have we done to Lord Krishna. We are unable to accept him in entirety, so we have compartmentalized Krishna. Some worship and like the young Sri Krishna, some like the Krishna with Radha, some like the Krishna who is delivering the Bhagavad Gita. This is because we are not used to a God who plays prank, dances, plays flute and solves the mysteries of life.

For many god is a commander, one who grants boons, one who automatically solves problems in life but Sri Krishna will never automatically solve your problems. This he demonstrated in the Kurukshetra while delivering the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna never took up arms but instead gave the right direction to Arjuna. In Kurukshetra, Sri Krishna was trying to make us understand the foolishness in expecting someone above (god) to deliver the goods. We have to perform the actions and each action will have a fruit.

Sri Krishna is full of life. He showed us the way to live in the modern society. He showed us the concept of Brahman – that life is a continuity. He taught us to remain detached and neutral. Live in the moment and life will be a celebration.
    Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 14-11-12, 16:58.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Re: Article: Gokulashtami Vs Sri Jayanthi

Sir. When i have tried to view the page i have received a v bulletin message that i have no access could you please guide me how to view

Comment

Originally posted by soundararajan50@gmai View Post
      Sir. When i have tried to view the page i have received a v bulletin message that i have no access could you please guide me how to view
      Sri:
      That is not a true message.
      After log in your session might have expired,
      so, try again by logging out and logging in again whenever you are getting this message.
      nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Sorry Sir i have followed your advice still i couldnot

Comment

Originally posted by soundararajan50@gmai View Post
          Sorry Sir i have followed your advice still i couldnot
          I have pasted (not posted) that article here itself.

Dr.NVS

Comment

Working...
          X