Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durguna Angry harmful to us as well as others

Angry - Durguna Angry - harmful to us as well as others

The feelings generated within us which comes out as a negative reaction, which is harmful to us as well as others. This feeling of insult, belittled, helplessness, failure or whatever you call it generates an instantaneous reaction in us which has negative effect. This annoyance is called Anger or Angry. This is the second durguna amongst the six durgunas called Kama, Krodha, Lobha, Moha, Matha & Matsarya.

While angry, you get heat traveling through your nerves and feel blood boiling. You lose your calm posture and shout at the peak of your voice and show quick, brisk and rough body languages. Your eyes become red and you become trembling some times. The words you speak get broken or you stammer. You repeat a word or sentence many times to stress your point. Your intellectual faculty gets crumbled and you lose your faculty of discrimination. Your mental stability is lost and physically you are affected.

It is a negative guna because it is causing all sorts of disorders in you and even makes you mad temporarily, particularly in the eyes of onlookers. We have seen that generation of heat at physical, mental and intellectual levels, loss of discrimination/wisdom, feeling of enmity to others, character degeneration are the characteristics of Angry. Angry has no permanent existence, nor has it any source. It is only the effect of our own misunderstanding or non-understanding the real situation or event and a feeling of insecurity for ourselves. It is, thus, a negative current at mental level as it is associated with thoughts and thoughts are the products of mind, which is nothing but a continuous flow of thoughts leaving some imprints in our intellect.

We know that it is not healthy to entertain anger. But still, we become slave to it many a times in our life. If allowed to overcome us, we will become a mad person at the end, since it has the power to cripple your intellectual power and overpower your mind and make you an animal-man. It will slowly eat your health by making you a man of blood pressure, diabetic, heart ailment, nervous disorders, impatient in nature and un-natural in behaviour and finally unaccepted by society. These are the after-effects if you allow the anger to overpower you. Therefore, what is the remedy? Avoid becoming angry at any cost and at any situation. How is it possible and what is the way to avoid Angry?

Analyse each situation and try to correctly understand the reality of the situation. Avoid misunderstanding. Guard against ill feelings against others and yourselves. Never allow feeling of insecurity to conquer you. Have faith in a power higher than you for which you must learn the scriptural proclamations, which are true. Practice daily discipline through some sadhana or yoga at physical and mental levels, prescribed by our scriptures. Develop a discipline for your own life-style to be followed daily. Make it your ritual and do it at any cost. Learn to calm the mind (or make it take rest) by giving it a direction as a daily routine like keeping silence at physical, mental and intellectual levels (I mean concentration, meditation, contemplation on higher ideals etc.). The Mind is the cause of all thoughts and feelings and it is better to go to the root and solve the problem. Once you discipline the mind, have a high ideal in life and have a firm determination to follow your own discipline as stated above, the mind is well regulated and will not entertain negative thoughts and will discard such thoughts when they arise. The above is a generalized tonic, having the strength of a ‘preventive medicine’. It helps you, in course of time by practice, to overcome anger permanently and have a peaceful life.

Concentrate on a role model, a picture of your liking, a God’s image or chant a Mantra by counting the number of repetitions, thus forcing your mind to concentrate on the new objective. This is what is prescribed by our ritualistic practices and is called Mantra Chanting, Contemplation on an objective exclusive of all other things, Meditation, Concentration, etc. etc. But, please beware. This is only temporary. Once the anger goes, the mind will wander again and entertain angry and other feelings again and again. You will have to follow this practice every time you become angry. This is a curative mechanism.

You have to choose the best method suited to your nature and character. One thing is certain, you will have to guard against this negative feeling of Angry and win over it for ever to lead a peaceful and long life.

In conclusion, let me expand the alphabets in this word as follows:

Anti-Natural Guna Revenge You = Angry

Now it is for you to conclude whether you should entertain and nourish Angry or win over it – temporarily or permanently. I do not want to condemn Angry. It is for each of you to own it or disown it. May you have the wisdom to choose the right course of action as far as Angry is concerned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Durguna Angry harmful to us as well as others

Thank you Sir, for a nice and useful post. Even calm people occasionally,"blow their tops" . As you said practicing a sadhana like yoga can help us concentrate and control the mind.
    Good one,.Hope to read more from you,Sir.
    varadarajan

Comment

Thank you much, Sri Varadarajan Sir, Like this boosting comments, I am getting more enthusiasm to present further
      useful postings. our path towards future will always be straight & correct way to reach the distinction. Experienced
      elders should always guide younger generation,thus, to reach the goal successfully. warm regards. ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Originally posted by R.Varadarajan View Post
        Thank you Sir, for a nice and useful post. Even calm people occasionally,"blow their tops" . As you said practicing a sadhana like yoga can help us concentrate and control the mind.
        Good one,.Hope to read more from you,Sir.
        varadarajan

Dear Mr.Varadarajan,
        Your reply to Mr Iyer may be very nice to read. But you have completely forgotten the golden words of Poet Bharathiyar "Rowthiram pazagu" which means learn to be angry. Anything is fine if it is within the limit.So is anger. It is a good source of success and growth. Many social revolutions are outcome of anger. But one should not let it go out of his control. If one remember this for ever it is ok. Whenever you got insulted by someone without any reasoning you should not keep your anger inside and you have to unleash energy but exactly a controlled anger. This is what Sri Bharathiyar said in his poem. As Mr. Iyer said "You have to choose the best method suited to your nature and character. One thing is certain, you will have to guard against this negative feeling of Angry and win over it for ever to lead a peaceful and long life." Dont misunderstand that I am encouraging anger in oneself.
        Narayana,Narayana,narayana....PSN

Comment

Sri.PSN,
          I don't write for it to be :Nice to read" In my reply you have probably not seen the phrase, Even calm people occasionally,"blow their tops". That takes care of occasionally" ரௌத்ரம் பழகு". They say ,"try anything once" Many such sayings are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Like "learn to steal also and forget> Should we steal to practice?
          My letter was just to appreciate a post from a new member.
          That was all.
          Varadarajan

Comment

Sri:
            Dear Sri.Varadarajan Sir,
            Respected GG Moorthy Iyer is not a new member and he is one of the oldest member of this forum.
            Some how his previous membership details are missing (may be due to db crash / corruption) hence rejoined as new member.
            Recently some 15 days back he came to Chennai, luckily I got a chance to have his appointment and bhagyam to do namaskaram at his feet at Triplicane.
            I requested him to post at our forum from his knowledge bank.
            I don't want to reveal his identity without his permission.
            He saved me once when I was in a 'death sentence' by God.
            Sorry for interfering in your wonderful discussion.
            dasan,
            nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
            please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
            Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
            Best Wishes and Best Regards,
            Dr.NVS

Comment

Swamin,
              You as administrator can intervene whenever you need to. I welcome it. But seeing in his profile as admitted in 5 Feb this year, I presumed that Sri GG Murthy Iyer is a new member. Eager to see more of his posts
              Is Sri.Soundarrajan out of station? Quite some time we miss his posts/comments.
              with best wishes,
              varadarajan

Comment

Sri:
                yes sir,
                Sri.Soundarajan swamin came to my home 10 days back and told
                that he is going for some outside work / not in station so he will not continue to attend our forum for another three months or so.
                He is seeking alliance for his son (36), will be helpful if suggested a good girl for his son.
                He is not particular about anything any brahmin sect is acceptable.
                dasan,
                nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
                please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
                Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
                Best Wishes and Best Regards,
                Dr.NVS

Comment

Originally posted by R.Varadarajan View Post
                  Sri.PSN,
                  I don't write for it to be :Nice to read" In my reply you have probably not seen the phrase, Even calm people occasionally,"blow their tops". That takes care of occasionally" ரௌத்ரம் பழகு". They say ,"try anything once" Many such sayings are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Like "learn to steal also and forget> Should we steal to practice?
                  My letter was just to appreciate a post from a new member.
                  That was all.
                  Varadarajan

Dear Sri Varadarajan Sir,
                  Thank you very much for your above reply. I am very sorry now adays you find a lot of flaws in my postings and replies and I do not know how to get rid of such shortcomings. i shall be much grateful if you kindly guide me in this regard. As a tamil saying goes "பழையன கழிதலும் புதியன புகுதலும் நல்லதே".I think it will do a lot of good for me if I keep quite without either posting a thread or replying to posts. Members may also welcome this my decision. No more to add. With all respects...PSN

Comment

Respected Sir,
                    Your posts are many and are very useful and informative. But I took to this only 8/9 years after retirement. I did not mean to hurt you. And I am to small and a beginner to guide you. Please do not quit posting ,but continue to do .
                    Looking forward to your posts,
                    varadarajan

Comment

Working...
                    X