Evil eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil eye

The evil eye is a curse believed to be cast by a malevolent glare, usually given to a person when they are unaware. Many cultures believe that receiving the evil eye will cause misfortune or injury.[1] Talismans created to protect against the evil eye are also frequently called "evil eyes".[2][3]
    The idea expressed by the term causes many different cultures to pursue protective measures against it. The concept and its significance vary widely among differentcultures, primarily in West Asia.
    In India

In North India, the evil eye is called Buri Nazar. A charm bracelet, tattoo or other object (Nazar battu), or a slogan (Chashme Baddoor (slogan)), may be used to ward-off the evil eye. Some truck owners write the slogan to ward off the evil eye: "buri nazar wale tera muh kala" ("O evil-eyed one, may your face turn black").
    In South India (Andhra Pradesh), people call it as 'Disti' or 'Drusti'. To remove Disti people follow several methods based on their culture/area. Items used to remove Disti either Rock salt or Red chilies or Oiled cloth. Taking one of this item, people remove Disti by rotating their hand with one of the item above around the person who affected by Disti and they will burn the item.[18]

If we accidentally cut someone off in traffic, we may get a scowl or menacing glare in return. For most of us it is soon shrugged off, but in many places the evil eye is taken very seriously.
    The evil eye is a human look believed to cause harm to someone or something else. The supernatural harm may come in the form of anything from a minor misfortune to disease, injury or even death. Folklorist Alan Dundes, in his edited volume "The Evil Eye: A Casebook," notes that "the victim's good fortune, good health, or good looks — or unguarded comments about them — invite or provoke an attack by someone with the evil eye. If the object attacked is animate, it may fall ill. ... Symptoms of illness caused by the evil eye include loss of appetite, excessive yawning, hiccups, vomiting, and fever. If the object attacked is a cow, its milk may dry up; if a plant or fruit tree, it may suddenly wither and die."
    It can even affect objects and buildings: The evil eye cast upon a vehicle may cause it to break down irreparably, while a house so cursed may soon develop a leaky roof or an insect infestation. Just about anything that goes wrong (for any reason, or no reason at all) may be blamed on the power of the evil eye.

Protective Measures against the First Gaze of a Person with Evil Eyes

It is believed that sometimes, first gaze of the person casting evil eyes can create harmful vibes. Various protective methods have been adopted in Hinduism to counter these distressing energies. Some of the common practices in India to ward off effects of evil eyes are:
    • Hang seven chilies and a lemon at the top of the front door.
    • Hang Masks of demon face or a conch or a piece of turmeric, or piece of rock salt or a combination of all of them on top of the front door.
    • Keeping an aquarium in the hall of the house.
    • Keep a coconut inside a black colored bag and hang it at the front door.
    • Placing a black spot on the face of a baby
    • Protective Measures for a Person Affected by Evil Eyes

There are certain common practices, also known as Totkas, performed in Indian households, even today, to prevent ill effects on people under evil eyes. A few of them are:
      • Take a few red chilies in your palm and rotate it around the head of the affected child. Throw the chilies into fire. It will remove ill-effects from the child.
      • Take a large sized bucket/vessel, and fill it with plain water up to 60% to cover your ankles, when the feet are immersed in the bucket, add 5 tablespoon of rock salt, Pray to God with faith to remove the demonic/black magic effects from you. Also pray specifically for destroying the unholy effects of the negative energies.
      • On a Saturday or a Sunday, in the night take half Kg of milk in a bowl or if possible in a mud container. Move with it anticlockwise 51 times around the person affected by evil eye. Now serve this milk to any street dog or any other dog you may find near your house. It will remove evil eye and you would feel energetic and fresh.
      • Protective Shield of Yantras

There are certain devices known as the Yantras, through which divine powers can be sought to remove bad vibrations and bring in positive changes. They are good for removing evil energies and keeping enemies at bay. A few of them are:
        • Keeping a Matsya Yantra with an impression of a fish representing Lord Vishnu can bring rewarding changes to one’s career and personal life.
        • Keeping Mrityunjaya Yantra one can invoke the blessings of Lord Shiva for curing any health ailments.
        • Keeping Pratyangira Devi Yantra can invite good spirits and open the doors to happiness.

Re: Evil eye

A nice article on the Drishti. Yes I do believe in it as I had a bitter experience once when a guy commented on my promotion,coupled with a gift of a watch from my company for continuous service and for the new dress I was wearing. The guy's 'Drishti' was so bad,that,within a few hours I had a serious accident in one of our cold chambers in the factory while testing equipments under -60 deg C,(Yes under -60 deg C). I had to be hospitalized,had abour 20 stitches in my forearm!!
    So Drishti factor exists. Don't take it lightly.
    Thanks Sir for a detailed explanation.
    BURI NAZAR WALE TERE MOOH KAALA!!
    VARADARAJAN

Comment

Working...
    X