PDA

View Full Version : Payments made on Friday

Soundaram Padmanabhan
26-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Sir

A question I would like to ask and know the reason behind the following custom -

Most people prefer not to make any payments to third persons
on Friday.

And there are some who do not make any payment on other days
after evening hours.

Any specific reason for this?

S. Padmanabhan

bmbcAdmin
26-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Sir
A question I would like to ask and know the reason behind the following custom -
Most people prefer not to make any payments to third persons on Friday.

And there are some who do not make any payment on other days
after evening hours.

Any specific reason for this?

S. Padmanabhan
Sri:
They believe the Friday is the day for Goddess Lakshmi the god of wealth.
So, they also believe by giving money on Friday and in night times may Lakshmi will go out with that money.
But there is no evidence for this.

arenness
13-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Sir
I do have strong beliefs in shashtras. However, some of the beliefs may not be strictly according to Shashtras. I believe most of the practices have been followed with respect to the situation prevailing at that time. There was no electricity in those days and they might not have been able to give the correct amount or whatever after dark. So they might have postponed the payments to the next day morning. Also Fridays are considered very auspicious and most of the people performed various poojas on that day and so they might have been engaged in doing poojas and worshipping during day time. As already explained the evenings will be darker. However, I follow this procedure till now, making exceptions when I can not postpone a particular to the next day.

jaggus
28-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I also do not see any scientific reason for this. Of course the reason as mentioned by "arenness" is what I too think a reason for such an accepted norm. So as far as possible we can follow it, but if any urgency is there we need not follow it or having followed we should not have any feeling of guilt.