Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do We Recite Astothram or Saharanamam

Why Do We Recite Astothram or Saharanamam

According to the greatest Siddha our objective should be to realize our Godhood. For that we have to understand that in front of God, we are less than nothing. For that rather than keep saying that we are nothing, we should praise the lord. Slowly by this praise we realize that only God is supreme. That only God is the truth and that we are nothing but his creation that he makes to play games. That is the reason of praising God in Hinduism.
    Praising God in many names or describing various attributes/functions of God by reciting Astotham or Shahasranamam not necessarily a sign of ignorance; it indicates an intimate knowledge of God.

For example, Eskimos have forty-eight different names for snow in their language because they know snow intimately in its different variations, not because they are ignorant of the fact that all snow is only one.

Effect of Praising God
    Praising God makes every circumstance of our lives complete, essential, and eminently worthwhile.
    God deserves to be praised and He is worthy to receive our praise.
    By praising God, we are reminded of the Greatness of God!! His Power and presence in our lives is reinforced in our understanding.
    Praise discharges strength in faith which causes God to move on our behalf.
    Praising God also transforms the spiritual environment around us.
    God inhibits in the atmosphere of praise.
    Christians too believe in praising God:
    ‘Let everything that has breathe Praise the Lord” psalm150:6

We can give glory and praise to our God with the use of our physical bodies, with our hearts and mind, and with our deeds. There are many ways to praise our God and one of them is reciting Astothram or Saharanamam.
    No matter how we praise our God and Worship Him, it should result in awe of God

Prayers are answered in most cases by the released will-power of the worshippers–power they have no idea is really theirs. Some prayers are answered by God or those he has designated to foster humanity in this way.

Reciting Astothram or Saharanamam is a form of Hindu Prayer

From ancient times, many Hindus in learned families daily recited the Sahasranama, or a similar set of prayer Shlokas of their chosen deity. (Such a collection of Shlokas which are used for recital purposes is generally called a Stotra.
    In Sanskrit, sahasra means "a thousand" and nāma (nominative, the stem is nāman-) means "name". The compound is of the Bahuvrihi type and may be translated as "having a thousand names". In modern Hindi pronunciation, nāma is pronounced [na:m]. It is also pronounced sahasranāmam
    Bhisma says that mankind will be free from all sorrows by chanting the Vishnu sahasranāma' which are the thousand names of the all-pervading Supreme Being Vishnu, who is the master of all the worlds, the supreme light, the essence of the universe and who is Brahman. All matter animate and inanimate resides in him and he in turn resides within all matter
    Merits
    Believers in the recitation of the Sahasranama claim that it brings unwavering calm of mind, complete freedom from stress and brings eternal knowledge.
    One who reads this hymn every day with devotion and attention attains to peace of mind, patience, prosperity, mental stability, memory and reputation
    Chanting mantras or reciting astothrams is one of the ways to stop the thought flow. We also imprint our needs in the subconscious mind when we recite. When we recite, the energy becomes concentrated and is focused in a particular mantra/ astothra. This focused energy is what becomes the bright deity and brings faith our needs.

Re: Why Do We Recite Astothram or Saharanamam

Sir Your posts are very informative and impressive I fear i may miss your posts if i don't open the net one day can you guide me sir as to how to see your earlier posts

Comment

Sri:
      If you wish to see all the posts (including past) of a particular member(s) do the following:
      You can test it with your name also; See the left side picture which is called postbit info or Member Information of a particular post,
      This will be find same every where showing the current / latest statistics of that member.
      If you click on the name (User Name) of that member, a new window will open and give you the complete list of posts made by that member.

Also, you can subscribe to a particular thread by clicking on the "Thread Tool" menu found at the top of every thread and then "Subscribe to this thread" - sub menu.
      You will get all the messages completely, immediately through email.
      Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 01-11-12, 19:11.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Dear Sri soundararajan Sir
        Thanks for your compliments about my postings.
        I am aged 73, do not want to keep my mind idle, always search for useful matter in the web, and whatever interests me, i post it here and also elsewhere where my friends are.
        I also spend time with my grand children , play some chess on line, just to keep me engaged. i am nowsiting my daughter who is in UK.i will move to US , next February2013.
        I come to Chennai for a couple of months whenever i need to do medical check ups etc; still i have no idea when i will be going to Chennai as of now.
        My daughter/ son in law both are doctors, and my son and daughter in law both are in soft ware line; they live in US.
        Me and my wife are holding green card that makes us a sort of permanent residency in US.
        My wife never worked, i retired from services long back
        I am a Sai Devotee( putparuthi) and for some time i was a convener in one Sai Bajana Mandal.
        I have seen miracles happen before my eyes, like Viboothi / Kungumam coming out of Baba's Padam, Pictures and also from other Pictures kept in the Puja hall.
        I have seen even Honey oozing out out of Baba's picture

This Desam is a Puniya Bhoomi, we are all fortunate to live here when Periyava, SathySai Baba, Mother Teresa and many more noble souls living her.
        I will write about some great souls whenever i can, if God permits.

May god bless you and your family always.

Comment

Dear Sir,
          Today I' ve followed your instructions and found that it would be of much help to me in future. Thank you very much

Comment

Working...
          X