No announcement yet.

Douhitran has a duty to perform the pithrukarma for his maternal grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douhitran has a duty to perform the pithrukarma for his maternal grandfather

Dear Mama,
    I request you to please let me know if the douhitran has a duty to perform the pithrukarma for his maternal grandfather who died leaving behind only 3 daughters and no son.
    Facts:
    My brother's sambhandi passed away about a month back. He left behind only 3 daughters one of whom is also a widow. His wife predeceased him. My nephew is the second son-in-law.
    Somehow he had to do the first day and the second day funeral rites for his father-in-law due to circumstances and compulsions.
    Now the first years ceremonies have be done on the prescribed dates and thereafter the annual sraddhams every year.
    My nephew has only a son and no other issue. As the son has his parents alive, it was felt he should not do rites regarding cremation, etc. on the death of his maternal grandfather.
    He did not therefore do that and his father had to do it for the father-in-law.
    Now the question is raised by a vadhyar of my nephew's family that the douhitran, viz. my nephew's son incurred sin for not performing
    a duty and that he should start doing the other first year's ceremonies. My nephew seeks my advice and I seek your guidance.
    Kind Regards,
    Padmanabhan
    Note: As I am not sure if this is a question to come up in the group's discussions, I have copied it to you personally also, so that you can decide to put it up or not in the group's mails.

Re: Douhitran has a duty to perform the pithrukarma for his maternal grandfather

Still more educated are following logic-less arguments and sentiments in funerals.
    Still many have lot fear in doing such karmas.

I wish to say the apara karmas not properly handled are like Kanni Vedis grounded in our family.
    That should be removed and completely destroyed by somebody who is in the next order of preference in the list of Karthas.
    Otherwise it will show its work at times and we will get confused without knowing the reason for our regular tragedies.

There is no logic of refusing to do a karma while having parents. Please think, however one (father or mother) will be alive
    when he starts to do the karma.
    What will happen to one by doing a punya karma? By doing a kainkaryam or shradham one is going to feed a soul in which
    what is there to getting fear?

So, it is better to do the karma with interest as our duty to eliminate dhoshams and phapams.

I had given the order of Kartha in other post for reference and also a write up given by yourself about shradhdham.
    regs,
    nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Re: Douhitran has a duty to perform the pithrukarma for his maternal grandfather

Dear Moderator Mama,
      My doubt is cleared. Thank you very much. With your blessings and good wishes, we are doing well.
      Hope you are keeping good health and is as active as ever.
      With kind regards
      Dasan, Padmanabhan
      1) Regarding Shraddham, I am of the view that Pithru Devathaigal are worshipped on that day in the names of Vasu, Rudra and Aditya Swaroopangal. Although we utter father's name, grand father's name and great grand father's name, they are synonymous with the Pithru Devathigal. Just like various devas (muppathi mukkodi - 33 crores - devargal are there as per our belief) are worshipped in various karmas, pithu devathas are worshipped in pithru karmas and our offerings go to such devas. Those devas will get pleased by our offerings and protect our forefathers who may be in any sareera at that time. Even if they had attained moksham, the atmas, being eternal are in the service of God in Sri Vaikuntam or such other place as God may assign to the liberated souls for rendering service as the Almighty may desire them to do, without being affected by karma palans if they have to be born in this mortal world, as karmas would no longer bind them (They had already been released from all
      karmas after attaining moksham), the respective liberated souls who were our forefathers get pleased by our offerings through the Pithu Devas, as they have absolute Knowledge like the God Himself. Further such ceremonies are ordained to be performed by the bonded souls like us in this world as per Vedas and Sastras which we are obliged to follow and adhere to. What is ordained, if not performed, would land us in papam. For these reasons, we perform the shraddham and the same logic holds good for Tharpanam.
      I read somewhere that the Kanchi Paramacharya had said that if money order is sent from a remote village in India to someone in India or even abroad, it goes to him, but what we remit here does not go, but something equivalent will go in our name and they will receive it there. The same analogy that if we offer Thila Tharpanam and Pinda dhanam, and other rice and bakshanam offerings in fire for pithru devathas, the same goes in some indirect equivalent form to those to whom they are intended with the blessings of the pithru devathas.
      Therefore, to me, Pithru devathas appear to be the medium to ensure that our offerings reach the forefathers in one or other form as they might deem to bless the concerned. As is our usual practice, even shraddham is supposed to be done by God for God's sake and for God's pleasure and He would be doing it only through us (Refer Sattvika thyagam in each karma).
      Thanks and Regards.

2) Re Sudarsana Homam, I would like to physically participate if it is done this year also on Margazhi Koodaravalli Day which is on January 11, 2006 as that day in 1943 was I born. But on 18/12/05, there is another religious function in my daughter's house which I have a duty to attend. Please let me know if you are considering any change in dates. For my sake, do change in date is required and I seek God's blessings only on whichever day the homam is performed by you at the specified location.

Thanks and Regards,
      Padmanabhan

Comment

Working...
      X