Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thaipusam-Karthikeya-stuti

Dear All,

Greetings. Thaipusam (Makara Pushya) falls on Feb 7, 2012. Thaipusam is an important festival especially in the South and Lord Kartikeya is worshipped on that day, although Thai Pusam is equally attributed to Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu in different contexts.

In this connection, I am happy to attach a very rare Stotra on Lord Kartikeya from Shiva Mahapuranam, Rudra Samhita, Kumara Khanda, Chapter 6. The stuti, though the meter is a bit tough, is very beautiful and given the tone of the stuti, one may chant this for the fulfillment of one's wishes.

In my previous postings, I had given a few important tid bits relating to Lord Kartikeya and therefore will not repeat the same here. But I would like to add another tid bit I did not mention before.

As per some Purans, Sage Sanatkumara was born as Lord Kartikeya to Lord Shiva as per latter's request. But it is also given that Lord Kartikeya is Lord Shiva Himself and there is no difference between the two. Interestingly, Sage Sanatkumara is also one of the originators of one of the four Sampradayas within Vaishnavism (Kumara Sampradaya originated by Lord Brahma and his sons including Sage Sanatkumara and was later propagated by Sri Nimbarkacharya).

Needless to mention that this underlines the non-duality of Brahman and non-subscription to any sectarian views by original Vedic/Puranic scripts.

This is corroborated by Varaha Purana (Kama Vrata, Chapter 61) where it is prescribed that Lord Vishnu should be worshipped in the form of Shad Vaktra (six-faced) on Shashti day in order to get the fulfillment of one's wishes. It is also prescribed that Lord Vishnu should be worshipped using the following names viz. ShaD vaktra, kArtikeya, senAnI, kumAra, and skanda! (As Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita - senAnInAM ahaM skandaH.)

May Lord Kartikeya bless us all!

Thanks & Regards,
    K. Muralidharan (Murali)

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS
Working...
X