Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KEDARNATH BEFORE THE HIMALAYAN TSUNAMI

Dear friends,
    With the blessings of God, I had the opportunity to visit Kedar and Badri twice,the last time being in 2009.
    The temple of Kedar had two other Sivaling shrines on the sides of the main Temple. It had a big bell at the entrance, the sound of which as so nice. Luckily I recorded the chiming of the bell,"Ghantaravam" as they call in Telugu.
    Also a little behind to the right of the Temple was the Samadhi of Adi Sankara with a huge linga and his statue. Unfortunately the entire samadhi has been washed away,. Not a trace remains,nor the compound wall of Kedar Temple. The floods washed away the sub-shrines adjacent to main Temple too.
    For those who have not visited Kedar, and those who have, but yearning to see the missing shrines,I am posting the photographs taken by me.
    May God bless you all in this New Year!
    Varadarajan

Click image for larger version

Name:	kedar3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	35492

Name:	kedar5.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	35493

Name:	kedar6.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	35494

Name:	kedar7.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	35495

Name:	kedar then1.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	35496

Name:	kedar then3.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	35497

Name:	kedar then2.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	35498

Name:	kedar then4.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	35499

Name:	kedar.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	35500

This last pic is of Kedarnath now!!!
    What a pity. HOPE THE DESTROYED SHRINES ARE REBUILT BY SOME CORPORATES AND DEVOTEES!!!!
    Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 06-01-14, 18:11. Reason: Text Color Changed from red to blue

Re: KEDARNATH BEFORE THE HIMALAYAN TSUNAMI

The beautiful lingams shown in picture 5 & 6 are really washed away by the floods? Sir.

Comment

Re: KEDARNATH BEFORE THE HIMALAYAN TSUNAMI

Yes Sir,
      The Samadhi was about 200 yards or less behind the Temple to a bit on the left as you look at the Temple. The entire structure of Samadhi is washed away,no trace remains now.Kedar Temple compound wall including the steps you see in my photos ,is all washed away. Only the basic Temple with the front hall with triangular roof remains.
      It is really a pity that Sri Shankarachary's Samadhi exists no more as you may see from the last picture.
      Hope as I desired it is rebuilt in all its glory.
      HARA HARA SANKARA,JAYA JAYA SANKARA.
      VARADARAJAN
      P.S. Advance Pongal Greetings to all!!

Comment

Working...
      X