THE ART OF GIVING-PART 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE ART OF GIVING-PART 1

Giving deserving and needy person any help is emphasised in our Upanishads. How is the aid to be given is also told specifically. Give without expecting any returns/publicity is the basic rule.We will see what the Upanishads say about the ART OF GIVING, in the article below.It may be in 2 or 3 parts as otherwise it may be too long.
    Varadarajan

THE ART OF GIVING-PART-I

The world is full of philonthrophists. Many of the tall temple towers,sprawling hospitals,educational institutions etc., owe their existance to noble,generous souls,who wanted their money to be put to good use. Everyday,we come across appeals for some generous worthy cause or the other. We wonder whether all of them succeed in getting support. To our surprise we find that most of them are able to garner the funds they need,sooner or later.
    This strengthens our belief in humanity-despite the numerous factors working against them,charity and generosity are still very much alive.To give,without expecting any return,is indeed a great trait.
    In this write up we should know about some of the great givers,and the way giving should be done.
    The Taittreeyopanishad Sikshaavalli is full of sound instructions.Guidelines on "How to Give"
    are found there.

"SHRADDHAYA DEYAM", ASHRADDHAYAA DEYAM, SHRIYAA DEYAM, HRIYAA DEYAM, BHIYAA DEYAM, SAMVIDAA DEYAM," says the Upanishad,enumerating the characteristics of charity.

SHRADDHAYAA DEYAM
    All charity is to be done with sincerity and good intention,the underlying motive being an urge to be of help of the receiver.Thus giving, with the aim of receiving something in return is NOT charity.
    Giving is also to be done with grace,and in a way that is not embarrassing or insulting to the receiver. The giver should not flaunt his wealth nor should he remind the recipient of his poverty. Usually,the act of giving puts the giver's hand uppermost and the receiver's on a lower plane. However, it is said that Karna,( the unacknowledged elder brother to the Pandavas), to save the receiver the ignominy of stretching his hand lower,held his palms joined together,and requested the recipient to take the gold coins their in,thus ceding the upper position to the receiver.
    .....To be continued
    Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 15-12-14, 09:19.

Re: THE ART OF GIVING-PART 1

தலைப்பே அசத்தல் தொடக்கம் மிகச்சிறப்பு தொடர்ச்சி காணத்துடிக்கும் விருப்புடன் காத்திருக்கும் கா.சீ.சௌ.ராஜன்

Comment

Re: THE ART OF GIVING-PART 1

Thank you Dear Sounderrajan.
      I was away in Mumbai with only a small tablet for use.
      Hope i will strive to post many more as I am in Secunderabad, with my laptop.
      I had suggested a meet with Sri.NVS Sir in my post on his getting his doctorate.
      Kindly explore whether we can make it.
      I am yet to get get his co-ordinates (address,contact number etc.,) as they say in Russia.
      Thanks for the positive feedback.
      Varadarajan
      Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 15-12-14, 17:23.

Comment

Working...
      X