No announcement yet.

HEALTH BENEFITS OF OKRA- (வெண்டைக்காய்)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEALTH BENEFITS OF OKRA- (வெண்டைக்காய்)

Dear members,
    All of us have been told that OKRA, (வெண்டைக்காய்) is good for health, improves memory etc., from childhood.
    Let us see the benefits of OKRA.
    Varadarajan

Health Benefits of Okra

Also referred to as lady’s finger and gumbo, Okra is a nutritional powerhouse used throughout history for both medicinal and culinary purposes. Okra contains vitamins, minerals and the antioxidants epicatechin, catechin, rutin, procyanidin B1 and B2 and quercetin. These antioxidants are capable of preventing damage to cells caused by environmental factors and stress.

Okra's physiological effects are credited to the carbohydrates that it contains.

Anti-diabetic effect - the fiber in okra is able to slow down sugar absorption to the blood.
    Lipid-control effect - The soluble fibers of okra, called pectin, are able to lower blood cholesterol by 10%.
    Brain-function-improvement effect - Eat okra for the purpose of improving brain functions.

Health benefits of Okra

The pods are among the very low calorie vegetables. They provide just 30 calories per 100 g besides containing no saturated fats or cholesterol. Nonetheless, they are rich sources of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins; often recommended by nutritionists in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
    The rich fiber and mucilaginous content in okra pods help in smooth peristalsis of digested food particles and relieve constipation condition.
    The pods contain healthy amounts of vitamin A, and flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta carotenes, xanthin and lutein. It is one of the green vegetables with highest levels of these anti-oxidants. These compounds are known to have antioxidant properties and are essential for vision. Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural vegetables and fruits rich in flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
    Fresh pods are the good source of folates; provide about 22% of RDA per 100 g. Consumption of foods rich in folates, especially during the pre-conception period helps decrease the incidence of neural tube defects in the offspring.
    The gumbo pods are also an excellent source of anti-oxidant vitamin, vitamin-C, providing about 36% of daily-recommended levels. Research suggests that consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop immunity against infectious agents, reduce episodes of cold and cough and protect the body from harmful free radicals.
    The veggies are rich in B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid. The pods also contain good amounts of vitamin K. Vitamin K is a co-factor for blood clotting enzymes and is required for strengthening of bones.
    The pods are an also good source of many important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
    Okra Promotes a Healthy Pregnancy - An extremely important B vitamin for producing and maintaining new cells, folate is an essential compound for optimal pregnancy. The vitamin helps prevent birth defects like spina bifida and helps the baby to grow sufficiently. Vitamin C is also essential for fetal development. Okra is rich in both folate and vitamin C.
    Could Help with Respiratory Issues like Asthma - Okra contains vitamin C, which has been shown to help with respiratory issues like asthma.
    Promotes Healthy Skin - Vitamin C helps keep the skin looking young and vibrant. The vitamin aids in the growth and repair of bodily tissues, which affects collagen formation and skin pigmentation, and helps to rejuvenate damaged skin. Okra is full of vitamin C. Topical tip: Boil a handful of okra until soft. After letting it cool, mash it, and apply it to your face. After 5 minutes, your skin should feel smooth and rejuvenated.

Re: HEALTH BENEFITS OF OKRA- (வெண்டைக்காய்)

Dear Sir .
    Very effective and useful post.valuable health tip.Eager to see more such posts

Comment

Dear Sri.Vardarajan Swamin,
      Kindly forgive me for this request! But consider for some lazy persons like me!
      I hope, you will post your messages only after reading it thoroughly?!
      So, if possible can you add a summary (in few lines) about all long messages or
      at least for messages about health benefits.
      dasan,
      nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Dear NVS Sir,
        Of course I read the articles and then only post. But this OKRA article, I feel is not long and each paragraph(though some are a couple of lines only) contain different information and I did not want to leave out any.
        A summary I felt will make it longer.
        May be important ones can be highlighted.
        Will try a gist of the article next time.
        Hope it was informative.
        Varadarajan

Comment

Working...
        X