• Show
Clear All

• COPPER METAL VESSELS ITS USES EARLIER DAYS INTERESTING NARRATION

Dear members

The following mail is very interesting one. I am posting this mail contents
    from my mail Inbox which is well narrated by one of my friend
    who used to send mail like this.I hope all of our Forum Readers
    will get relax.

Recently I read from mails about the copper content in the water of Tamraparni river
    in Tirunelveli district and its naming so for the added copper content. My memories
    were drawn back to olden days of copper use in day-to-day life while I was leading
    a student life in Kerala. Most of the references are as such to Kerala. I am 68 years now.

The bigger one left out was Chembu boiler. This fellow was mostly a friend of teashops.
    Always water will be getting heated in the boiler and as required, tea, coffee or milk water
    is prepared. One employ used to be permanent in all teashops. But in central Kerala
    use of boiler in houses was uncommon in bathrooms.

In temples the use of copper was much. Normally sreekovil and Mandapam used
    to have copper tops. The kodimaram of the medium temples were having only
    chembu ura. Now copper with gold plating is done in most temples.

Coming to youngsters of the family we were having chembu vali.
    This was also some times called Mookku. Normally Rasam, Sambar etc
    were taken in these valis and served. There was a nose through which proper quantity
    could be served for rasam. For sambar etc appai or thavi was used to serve.

Like chembu there was also chombu. Chombu was invariable item for all poojas.
    This was considered devine. Normally for smaller poojas chombu is used for Kalasam.
    Normal size of the chombu is about 4 inches by 4 inches like a ball.
    Chombu as I said was never for Keeping on Agni. Chombu is still surviving
    for all poojas for Kalasam including Tharpanam for keeping water.
    Chombu is used to be of made of pure quality copper. Chombu never used to be tinned.
    It was never used for drinking water from it.

Chombu had many miniature brothers. Among them VIP was Kasi chombu,
    since these chombs were collected after visit of Kasi filling ganga water and closed
    with lid and sealed. Normally every week or month they were specially washed
    and kept back. The ganga water is served by all close to the person taking leave
    to other worlds. Cleaning used to be done after bath and all sanctity. In all houses
    there used to be one or two Kasi chombu. When once used the chombu is discarded.

Tharpana muttai and Thambalam are another two items. As the very name indicate
    Tharpanamuttai is used for such functions only. Thambalam is used on all occasions
    like Devine, samskaras and others. Normally in temples flower is offered during pooja
    keeping on Thambalam. Praasadam is offered from Copper thambalam in temples.
    Thambalam is used to keep misc items, during poojas . Dakshina with betel and
    fruit is offered in Thambalam. In kanyadan Thambalam is used to receive the holy water.
    However his 1st cousine Pithalai Thambalam has over took him in many samskaras.

Another young brother is Kinnams. They are also used for annual ceremonies.
    Normally the Kinnams used to be kept cleaned after a ceremony and never
    touched occasionally. For next ceremony only they were taken.

Though today we have copper glass and used for water therapy, I have not seen
    copper glasses used for coffee or tea or water. As I remarked earlier the 1st cousine
    Pithalai glass was used for those occasions.

Yes- now my Panchapathram and Uddirini. These are used on all occasions and
    well survive today. Even copper Thambalam is replaced with Pithalai Thambalam.
    Pancha pathram and Uddirini of copper is used for daily Sandhya, Tharpanam and
    annual ceremonies. However during samskaras he is mostly replaced with
    silver metal made thamballams, Pancha pathram and uddirini. Some use for
    sandhya also brass made or silver made Panchapathrams.

I have seen on display gold Thambalams, Panchapathram and Uddirini in GRT Chennai.
    I am not aware any body use them during Upanayanam, Vivaham, seemantham or
    such occasions.

Pancha pathram normally appear the size of 3 inches diameter circular by 4 inches in height .
    Uddirini will take 3 or 4 drops of water from Pancha pathram . Actually the item got the name
    from the following legend. There used to have five small vessels for different Arghyams, Prokshanm,
    and Achamanm etc.earlier. There was total confusion using five vessels.
    Hence it was codified to use one vessel for all ( I am not sure about the codifier either
    Vaisampaya, Yanjavalkya or Bodhayana?)

In addition to these copper was used for many other items. My listing is the most common
    I saw in my early days. Other members can add to it.

I hope you are enjoyed to read it. You can post your experience so that the younger
    generation can know history about these type of vessels or something used in earlier days and its uses.
    COPPER VESSELS
    7.14%
    PANCHAPATRAM
    0.00%
    CHEMBU
    7.14%
    COMBU
    7.14%
    TAMBALAM
    0.00%
    KINNAM
    7.14%
    BOILER
    21.43%
    MOOKU VAALI
    21.43%
    APPAI
    21.43%
    CHEMBU KALASAM
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

Re: COPPER METAL VESSELS ITS USES EARLIER DAYS INTERESTING NARRATION

Except the four items (checked) Boiler, mookkuvalll,appai,chembu kalasam others are in regular use by grihasthaas for performing monthly tharpanam, pooja,harathi and for many other family use. Please dont discard the other vessels for god's sake.Let us use those vessels used by our forefathers during their days. It is our duty to preserve all those good things shown and taught to us by them.Do you know in those days each and every family prepared some rasam, kuzambu,koottu,venthayakuzambu etc., only using KALJATTI in different sizes. Even today my wife is proud of keeping those KALJATTIS with her. Mr.Moorthy iyer please tell your womenfolk not to discard the abovesaid vessels and partcularly KALJATTI .

Comment

Working...
    X