Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIVANANDA YOGA FAQ ~

Pranams to all.

Know, and then live the divine life, the Upanishadic life of Brahmic consciousness.

- Sri Swami Sivananda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SIVANANDA YOGA FAQ ~~~ Frequently Asked Questions
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q 1: What are the marks of spiritual progress?
    A: Peace, cheerfulness, contentment, dispassion, fearlessness and an unperturbed
    state of mind under all conditions indicate that you are advancing in the
    spiritual path. Spiritual progress is not measured by Siddhis or powers, but
    only by the depth of your bliss in meditation.

These are sure tests of your spiritual progress:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Is your interest in inner spiritual activity and outer Sadhana increasing day
    after day?

Does spiritual life mean to your consciousness a matter of great delight, a
    delight far transcending the happiness that the world of vital pleasures affords
    you or offers you?

Has your personal awareness come to a possession of a sense of peace and
    strength which men who are not aspirants do not find in their everyday
    lives?

Do you feel certain that your power of discrimination and light of thought have
    been steadily growing?

Is your life being gradually led to such experiences which reveal to you the
    operation of a will and intelligence other than your own, the will and
    intelligence of the Omnipotent Lord?

Has there come into the conscious activities of your everyday life, the active
    function of a new delightful angle of vision, a new perspective, a strong sense
    of self-possession, a steadily growing conviction of your dependence upon and
    intimate relation with the all-pervading Divinity?

If your answers to all these questions or to any one of them are in the
    affirmative, be absolutely sure that you are progressing, and progressing
    speedily, in the spiritual path.

Q 2: Why do Sadhaks fail to realize God quickly nowadays?

A: After attaining a certain stage of development, they begin to dissipate their
    energies in preaching, in making disciples, in publishing books. They become the
    slaves of name and fame. That is the reason why they fail to reach the highest
    goal of life, viz., Brahma Sakshatkar.

Q 3: Is there harm in not believing in God's existence?

A: If we have no faith in God, we will be born again in this world and will
    undergo considerable miseries. The ignorant, faithless doubting self goes to
    destruction. He cannot enjoy the least happiness. Neither this world nor that
    beyond is there for the doubting self. Those who have no faith in God do not
    know what is right and what is wrong. They have lost the power of discrimination.
    They are untruthful, proud and egoistic. They are given to excessive greed,
    wrath and lust. They hoard up money by unlawful means. They become men of
    demoniacal nature. They commit various sorts of atrocious crimes. They have no
    ideals for their lives. They are thrown into demoniacal wombs. They sink into
    the lowest depths, deluded birth after birth. Some one hundred and fifty years
    ago there lived a very famous Yogi-Jnani (a self-realized saint) by name
    Sadasiva Brahmendra Sarasvati in Nerur, near Karur, in the district of
    Tiruchirapalli in South India. He is the author of Brahma Sutra Vritti and Atma
    Vidya Vilasa and various other books. He has done innumerable miracles. Once
    when he was absorbed in Samadhi (superconscious state)Ashram on the banks of the
    Cauvery, he was carried away by the flood and thrown somewhere else. He was
    deeply buried underneath the sand. Labourers went to plough the fields. They hit
    against the head of the Yogi and some blood oozed out. They dug out, and to
    their astonishment, they found a Yogi seated in Samadhi. On another occasion, as
    an Avadhuta, Sadasiva Brahmendra entered the Zenana (tent) of a Mohammedan chief
    naked. The chief was quite enraged at the sage. He cut off one of the arms of
    the Mahatma (saint). Sadasiva Brahman walked away without uttering a word and
    without showing any sign of pain. The chief was greatly astonished at this
    strange condition of the sage. He thought that this man must be a Mahatma, a
    superhuman being. He repented much and followed the sage to apologize. Sadasiva
    never knew that his arm was cut off. When the chief narrated to the sage what
    had happened in the camp, Sadasiva excused the chief and simply touched his
    maimed arm. Sadasiva Brahman had a fresh arm. It is the life of this sage that
    made a very deep impression in my mind. I came to a very definite conclusion
    that there is a sublime divine life independent of objects and the play of the
    mind and the sense. The sage was quite unconscious of the world. He did not feel
    a bit when his arm was cut off. He ought to have been absorbed in the Divine
    Consciousness, he ought to have been one with the Divine. Ordinary people yell
    out when there is even a pin-prick in their bodies. When I heard of the
    marvelous incident in the life of Sage Sadasiva from Apta (realized) persons and
    when I read in the book, it gave me a very strong conviction about the Divine
    Existence and a divine eternal life where all sorrows melt, where all desires
    are satisfied and one gets supreme bliss, supreme peace and supreme knowledge

Re: SIVANANDA YOGA FAQ ~

Dear Soundararajan Sir,

Really very many thanks for the article. I came to know more about Sadasiva Brhamendral today. When I was five years old i was learning Bhanjan songs from One Mr. Vedam Iyyer in Nellikuppam in South Arcot District. He has taught me so many songs and krithis by Saint Thiyagarajar, Badrachala Ramadasar, Sadasiva Bramendral, Sridhara Iyyaval etc. He used to narate me the life history of all of them. After a very long period today i have got some more information.

Really very nice and once again Thanks for the same.

Expecting more such articles.

With Best Regards

S. Sankara Narayanan
    RADHE KRISHNA

Comment

Working...
    X