अत्याशनादतीपानात् यच्च उग्रात् प्रतिग्रहात्।
    तन्मे वरुणो राजा पाणिना ह्यवमर्शतु॥५९॥
    सोऽहमप्यपापो विरजो निर्मुक्तो मुक्तकिल्बिषः

नाकस्य पृष्टमारुह्य गच्छेत्ब्रह्मसलोकतां॥६०॥
    यश्चप्सु वरुणः पुनात्वघमर्षणः॥६१॥
    इमम् मे गङ्गे यमुने सरस्वती शतुद्रि स्तोमग्ँ सचता परुष्णिया
    असिक्निया मरुद्दृधे वितस्तयार्जीकीये शृणुह्या सुषोमया॥६२॥
    तैत्तरीयारण्यके महानारायणोपनिषत्सु प्रथमभागः
    hiraNyashR^i~NgaM varuNam prapadye tiirthaM me dehi yaachitaH.
    yanmayaa bhuktamasaadhuunaam paapebhyashcha pratigrahaH..55..
    yanme manasaa vaachaa karmaNaa vaa duSkR^itam kR^itaM
    tanna indro varuNo bR^ihaspatiH savitaa ch punantu punaH punaH..56..
    namo.agnaye.apsumate nama indraaya namo varuNaaya namo vaaruNyai namo.adbhyaH..57..
    yadapaaM kruuram yadamedhyaM yadashaantaM tadapagachchhataaM..58..
    atyaashanaadatiipaanaat yachcha ugraat pratigrahaat.
    tanme varuNo raajaa paaNinaa hyavamarshatu..59..
    so.ahamapyapaapo virajo nirmukto muktakilbiSaH
    naakasya pR^iSTamaaruhya gachched brahmasalokataaM..60..
    yashchapsu varuNaH sa purtwghamarSanaH..61..
    imam me ga~Nge yamune saraswatii shatudri stomag.N sachataa paruSNiyaa>
    asikniyaa maruddR^idhe vitastayaarjiikiiye shR^iNuhyaa suSomayaa ..62..
    taittariiyaaraNyake mahaanaaraayaNopaniSatsu prathamabhaagaH

Our ancestors believed that the ultimate relief from sins can be delivered to us only by water.. They praised the various deities presiding over water and its sources and also the great rivers found in India at that time with a request the all their sins should be washed off,
    This is aghamarshana mantram.

"I take refuge in Varuna who is having the golden hue and who adorns a golden diadem.
    O Varuna, having been entreated by me please grant me the tiitham (saving grace in the shape of holy waters)
    Let the waters purify me of the sin of enjoying the belongings of bad people and acceptance of gifts from sinners.
    May Indra, Varuna, Brihaspati and Savita completely destroy whatever sin my people or I have committed in thought word and action.
    My respectful salutation to the Badvaanala (The fire submerged in water), my salutations to Indra, my salutations to Varuna, my salutations to Vaaruni, the consort of Varuna, and my salutations to all the deities of waters.
    May, as a result of my this prayer and the power of this mantra, all that is injurious, impure and troublesome in water be destroyed.
    May the king Varuna efface by his benevolent and strong hand whatever sins I have incurred by unlawful and limitless eating, unlawful drinking and accepting gift from one who is not eligible to grant a gift, or which gift is given to me impelling me to perform an unlawful act.
    Thus being sinless,spotless,unbound from evil and bondage, may I become eligible to ascend the path of heaven and gain equal status with Brahman.
    May Varuna the effacer of sins who dwells in all sources of water like ocean, rivers, tanks and wells purify us.
    O Ganga, O Yamuna, O Saraswati, O Sutudri, O Marudhwrudhaa, O Arjikiya, all of you mother rivers, come together to listen to this hymn of mine along with Parushni, Asikni, Vitasta and Sushoma.."

Re: Aghamarshana mantram for bath

Dear Soundararajan Sir,

What is the meaning for the word "Aghamarshana". Is it that we should recite this mantra daily before Snanam or only while taking holy dip in Holi rivers, Ocean and in some theerthas like Brahma sarovar in Kurukshtra or in Pushkar etc.

With Best Regards

S. Sankara Narayanan
    RADHE KRISHNA

Comment

Dear Gowriputran,
      Here is what you wanted. I hope you are now clear.
      Varadarajan

The word agha means sin, Dirt etc and the word marshana means removing or expiating the same and so the compound put together means’ removal of sins and doshas accrued to the individual both externally and internally.
      This sukta is employed for recitation at the time of bath or in a place in contact with water in want for cleansing and sanctification of one’s own self. This sukta is also called as Varuna Sukta, a hymn addressed to Lord Varuna the guardian of Night and the king of waters. HERE EVEN THE FOLLOWERS OF Varunas are also included.(varunai namah)This sukta is highly magical and atharvanic because of the expressions and prayers contained in the sukta

For more clarity,a more detailed discussion on the sloka is given below.
      R.V.

varunopa aghamarshanah

sa paninahyavamarsatu!!

Aghamarshana sukta is found in the Taittiriya Aranyaka of KrishnaYajurveda. It is a part of the Mahanarayana Upanishad which is one of the most important Upanishads. The Sukta is also called malapakarshana sukta meaning a hymn to remove the sin, dirt, and different doshas from us. Its recitation has a magical effect. Its upasana is a gain and comfort. The word agha means sin, Dirt etc and the word marshana means removing or expiating the same and so the compound put together means’ removal of sins and doshas accrued to the individual both externally and internally.

This sukta is employed for recitation at the time of bath or in a place in contact with water in want for cleansing and sanctification of one’s own self. This sukta is also called as Varuna Sukta, a hymn addressed to Lord Varuna the guardian of Night and the king of waters. HERE EVEN THE FOLLOWERS OF Varunas are also included.(varunai namah)This sukta is highly magical and atharvanic because of the expressions and prayers contained in the sukta. There are some typical verbs and utterences requesting Varuna and his associates like Indra, Agni to remove sin and make the body physically pure. The expression.’ panina avamarsatu(may he wipe out doshas with his hand) Here there is the atharvanic sense and the water is the tool of varuna with which he contacts and touches us. The meaning is that’ may he remove the dirt with his hand’. Such several atharvanic expressions in this sukta and relevant other suktas of Veda shall help to this effect. We might recite the whole sukta or mantras to our convenience while at bath right in the morning.

The main deity remembered and prayers submitted are the Lord Varuna. He is the king of Waters. He is the guardian of night (sins and other doshas of beings). He stays in waters and gives room for purity and sanctity. He is a doshapaharakah. He is a practical deity interested in helping the people devoted to him. He is associated with other deities and they are friendly and supporting. A good coordination and cooperative functioning is excuted by the deity for the promotion of the world and social orders. He is prme deity to whom prayers are submitted while wanting cleansing of the body and attain the spirituality needed for the use of the body.

Here under the text and discussion are represented.

Now the Text and paraphrase of the sukta:

1 Hiranya srungam varunam prapadye tirtham me dehi yacitah.

yanmaya bhuktam asadhunam papebhyasca pratigrahah.

(I seek shelter in Varuna. Oh Varuna! Please give me sanctity as I implore for the water I use for bath and make it a sacred healing and medicinal water). Please remove all my sins (dirt) and such of those (infectious substances on my person). I enjoyed which are not admissible (asadhu) to the health of my person. Also that’ you count into the count and destroy the sin and turn me pure.)

2 Yanme manasa vacaa karmanaa va dushkrutam krutam

tanna indro varunao brihaspath savitaaca punantu punah punah,

Namognaye apsumate nama indraya namo varunaya

namo varunyai namodbhyah.Yadapam kruram

yada amedhyam yadasantam tadapa gacchatat

Salutations to Agni, the child of Waters (apam garbhah), Indra, Varuna,Varunis.and Waters. Whatever inauspicious, alarming, infectious, may all that get away from me. Also the deities Indra, Varuna,Bruhaspati,Savita, remove my duscarita, bad conduct committed either by speech or through action and behavior. These deities are requested to cleanse and remove all contaminations visibly and invisibly contained in the water kept for use of bath or other purposes of cleansing.this mantra could be purificatory mantras.

atyasanadatipanat yacca ugrat pratigrahat
      anno varuno raja paninahyavamarsatu

May Varuna the king relieve me with his hand all that sin accrued owing to over drinking, overeating and from receiving gifts, not permitted for being accepted

5 soham apaapo virajo nirmukto mukta kilbishah

nakasya prishtham aruhya gacchet brahma salokatam

That I thus got cleansed, I would become free from sin and dust (fallies) and unpopularity. May I after climbing the heights of the heaven, reach the brahmaloka and be a resident there at. Here the terms virajah, nirmukta and mukta kilbishah draw our special attention. Viraja means free from mistakes and misshapes.Also those sins sticking to body from the level of outer skin and going upto the bone level of the body. Nirmukta means wholly relieved of the sins residue less and the word’ mukta kilbishah ‘refers to the removal of impediments and obstructions to grow famous in right manner. Actually kilbisha as the Veda commentator Mahidhara says it is a kirtibhedakam papam.

6 .Yacapsu sa varunah sa punatv aghamarahanah.

(That Varuna seated within the waters and be remover of my sins in order to sanctify mephysically both internally and externally.Then comes the mantra

Prayer to Rivers, Divine.

7. Imam me gange yamune sarasvati sutudristomagum sacata

parushniya asakniyama rud vrdhe vitastayarjikiye srunuhya sushomaya.

(May the rivers by names Ganga, Yamuna, Sarasvati, Sutudri and Parukshni protect and santify me. May they grant us prosperity and enviable growth and luck. May they make me comfortable to us.)
      (Taittriyaranyaka Narayanopanishad First part)
      Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 03-04-15, 06:36.

Comment

ஸ்வாமின் மிக அருமையான தெளிவான விளக்கம் மிக மிக நன்றி

Comment

Dear Varadarajan Sir,

Thanks a Ton. Very nicely explained. My purpose of asking was, to practice reciting this. Thanks for clarifying the doubt.

I Thank God for having made me known about his group ( Sath sangh) through which I am learning a lot about religious duties and trying to perform the duties.

With Best Regards

S. Sankara Narayanan
          RADHE KRISHNA

Comment

Working...
          X