X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shradham-Iyer-Iyengar-sama-yajur difference

Sri:

Your Questions:
    1. Which is better? to perform shraadham with a saama iyer bruhaspathy (assuming he knows the vaishnava prayogams) or to perform shraadham with non-saama (yajur or rig) sri vaishnava bruhaspathy? This is valid only if a saama sri vaishnava bruhaspathy is not available.
    2. What will be the difference between saama sharadhya prayogam between smaartha and vaishanvas?
    3. In case if the answer to the first question is "both are not appropriate", is it advisable to postpone the shradham to next available date as per saasthra allowed procedure?

My opinion:
    There is only little change in Sampradayam between Iyer & Iyengar but there is major change between Sama prayogam and Other Sutras
    So, engage a bruhaspathy who knows well Sama Prayagams either Iyer or Iyengar.

Important: Find out a person in your family circle who is fit to train for Vaideeka Prayogams. There are only about 25 to 30 Samams are there in Shradha prayogam
    which includes Punyahavachanam. So, any one of your family should try to learn the samams and prayogams.

Many swamins (bhokthas) are well trained to act as bruhaspathy but they are unable to utter the manthras fluently, I mean you can use swamins to teach you the Tantras
    if you know the mantras.

Even it is very easier for Samam than yajur because there is no Swara knowledge is required to utter prayoga mantras. Swara knowledge is required only for Sama Ganam.
    But most of the mantras used in Yajur are taken out from Veda hence it requires lot of Swara Knowledge.

Most Important: Never think of postponing shradham which is not allowed by shastras for these type of reasons.

ignore it if you are not convinced with my opinion.
    regs,
    nvs

Adiyen's daasa vignyabanams.
    Adiyen belongs to Saama veda shaakai. Every year my grand parent's annual shraadham is being performed at our house by my aged parents. My grandmother's thithi usually falls on a peak muhurtham day. Due to which it becomes heavily difficult to fix bruhaspathy and paricharagar. Adiyen has another trouble with bruhaspathy as our traditional bruhaspathy is a smarthar (iyer). This practice happened since time unknown even for my grandfather as their generation are our family bruhaspathy. The present sowthrigal is very knowledgeable and performs karmas as per sri vaishnava practices and even knows Sri matam practices as well. But due to present day constraints (time, distance and his age), our family bruhaspathy does not come and instead fixes some other Sri Vaishnava saama bruhaspathy through their link network.
    Due to this reason, especially during the muhurtham days, we will not be aware anything about (who is coming and when) bruhaspathy until 8am of the shraadha day. This puts enormous strain in arranging and making the paricharagar to cook and other swamigals as they do not know when to come and be ready. Some time it becomes very difficult, due to which bruhaspathy swamy will claim to be saama vedin, but will not chant even one saama during shraada prayogam. Though adiyen doesn't know the difference in saama and other veda shraada prayogam, at least adiyen can say for sure saama gaanam is not recited. Some times, some other samartha (iyer) bruhaspathy swamy comes who without the awarness of variations of prayogam between vaishnava and smartha will start sankalpam as "mamopartha, samastha..." and we have to correct it with our version. Understandably, all these happen due to high demand of bruhaspathy swamis on that busy muhurtham day.
    For so long, we were adjusting just because we do not want to miss our duty of not performing the shradham. But last time, it was a very difficult situation where the paricharagar, the other two swamis starting correcting and dictating terms on the prayogam like what to do when and how. At least we would have been happy if there was only one opinion, but alas there was three with paricharagar says one, the other two swamis say other which (it was smaartha) bruhaspathy insisted on what he says was correct. We had a tough time to bring the order and continue the rest of the shradham. Because of this event, I had a doubt as follows:
    Questions:
    1. Which is better? to perform shraadham with a saama iyer bruhaspathy (assuming he knows the vaishnava prayogams) or to perform shraadham with non-saama (yajur or rig) sri vaishnava bruhaspathy? This is valid only if a saama sri vaishnava bruhaspathy is not available.
    2. What will be the difference between saama sharadhya prayogam between smaartha and vaishanvas?
    3. In case if the answer to the first question is "both are not appropriate", is it advisable to postpone the shradham to next available date as per saasthra allowed procedure?
    I request learnt baghavathals to respond their opinions, suggestion and answers quoting the question number please.
    Thanks,
    Dasan, Narayanan

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS
Working...
X