Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payments made on Friday

Sir

A question I would like to ask and know the reason behind the following custom -

Most people prefer not to make any payments to third persons
    on Friday.

And there are some who do not make any payment on other days
    after evening hours.

Any specific reason for this?

S. Padmanabhan

Re: Payments made on Friday

Originally posted by Soundaram Padmanabhan View Post
    Sir
    A question I would like to ask and know the reason behind the following custom -
    Most people prefer not to make any payments to third persons on Friday.

And there are some who do not make any payment on other days
    after evening hours.

Any specific reason for this?

S. Padmanabhan
    Sri:
    They believe the Friday is the day for Goddess Lakshmi the god of wealth.
    So, they also believe by giving money on Friday and in night times may Lakshmi will go out with that money.
    But there is no evidence for this.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Sir
      I do have strong beliefs in shashtras. However, some of the beliefs may not be strictly according to Shashtras. I believe most of the practices have been followed with respect to the situation prevailing at that time. There was no electricity in those days and they might not have been able to give the correct amount or whatever after dark. So they might have postponed the payments to the next day morning. Also Fridays are considered very auspicious and most of the people performed various poojas on that day and so they might have been engaged in doing poojas and worshipping during day time. As already explained the evenings will be darker. However, I follow this procedure till now, making exceptions when I can not postpone a particular to the next day.

Comment

I also do not see any scientific reason for this. Of course the reason as mentioned by "arenness" is what I too think a reason for such an accepted norm. So as far as possible we can follow it, but if any urgency is there we need not follow it or having followed we should not have any feeling of guilt.

Comment

Working...
        X