Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRI RUDRAM-STOTRA ON LORD SIVA- PART-1

Dear members,
    Seeking divine blessings, I am starting a series on one of the famous stotra on Lord Siva, Rudram-Namakam and Chamakam which is a very powerful stotram.I start with a brief on the Vedas AND an introduction on the meanings of RUDRA.
    This has been translated by one of the great authority,Sri.P.R.Ramachander.
    I sought his blessings and kind permission for posting his works in our forum and he has graciously given me explicit permission to post for the benefit of our Brahmin Community.
    With the meanings known,the chanting and study of slokas create an awakening in us to learn more about our vedas.
    I am sure this will be liked by all,who log-in to our forum.
    I thank Sri.Ramachander from the bottom of my heart and wish the Lord blesses him with long life and good health so that we all get benefited by his works.

OM NAMAH SIVAAYA!

Varadarajan

SRI RUDRAM- AN INTRODUCTION.

Among the oldest books ever composed by Man are the Vedas-the sacred books of Hindus. The word Hindu is the modern term coined by those from foreign land, to denote the followers of Vedas, who preferred to term themselves as those following Sanathana Dharma (literally the birth less and deathless perennial dharmic(just) thought process).

Vedas are believed to be birth less and the term originates from the word “vid” meaning knowledge. Initially, the Vedas were not written down and the composers simply taught them to their disciples along with pronunciation. This was necessary because the language in which it was composed relied upon compound words, which, if pronounced or split differently gave rise to different meanings. The great Veda Vyasa is supposed to have edited this storehouse of inherited knowledge, which was composed by very many rishis in various poetic styles and in prose. He divided it in to four books viz., Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda and Atharva Veda. Each Veda is further sub divided in to Samhithas and Brahmanas. The appendices to Brahmanas are Aranyakas and the appendices to Aranyakas are Upanishads. Each of these has several sookthas (loosely translated verses but many of them were written in prose). The Yajur Veda was rewritten once more and there are two Yajur Vedas - Krishna Yajur Veda and Shukla Yajur Veda. Samhitaas are mainly poems written about various Gods, Brahmanas are mainly information about fire sacrifices with stories interspersed. There are about one hundred thousand verses in the four Vedas.

Though most of the Vedic Gods can be identified with Gods mentioned in the Puranas, the importance ascribed to them differed very much in Vedas and Puranas .For example the first Veda viz. Rig Veda mentions Vishnu in five places and Rudra just in one place. The gods whom Veda considered as very important were Indra, Varuna, Agni, Mithra and Maruth who became minor gods later in the Puranas.

The Sri Rudram occurs in Krishna Yajur Veda in the Samhitha (Book?) of Taithireeya in the fourth and seventh chapters. This mellifluous prayer to Rudra has two parts-the Namakam (verses ending with Nama) and the Chamakam (Verses ending with Cha May).

“There are Several meanings to the word Rudra.

“Rtam (dam) Samsaara dukham draava yat iti Rudrah”.

He destroys the sorrows of the world i.e. (Rudra).

“Rodati Sarvamantakala” The one who makes one to suffer.

“Rtou Naadaante dravati – draavayateeti Rudrah. The end note of the musical sound i.e. (Rudra).

“Rtya – Vedarupaya, dharmadinava-loka yati praayateeti vaa Rudrah”. In the form of Veda Dharma is promoted i.e. (Rudra).

“Rtya-vaagrupaya, vaakyam, prapayateeti Rudrah”. In the form of Speech, brings out the importance of the meaning of words i.e. (Rudra).

Rtya-Pranava rupaya svatmanam prayateeti Rudrah”. In the name of pranava (OM) He makes one to realize him.

“Rudroroutiti satye rorupamaano dravati pravashati martyaaniti Rudrah”. In the form truth he enters humans.

“Rtam Sabdam Vedaatmaanam Brahmane dadati Kalpaadaaviti Rudrah”. Rudra presented Vedas to Brahma at the Commencement of kalpa. Rudras also means the persons created by Rudra as Sadrusha.

“Rtim Raati is responsible for the sound. He is praana Svarupa. Granter of praana (life).

Rudram is i.e. light Teja and Ruth who binds and attracts.

“Taam bhakte draavayati). He is even capable of driving away hat Shakti (energy).”*

..........To be continued
    Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 02-05-15, 10:30.

Re: SRI RUDRAM-STOTRA ON LORD SIVA- PART-1

wonderful start. Thanks to you for starting this series. seek blessings.
    ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Thank you,Sir for your kind words. I am not so much older than you to bless you. My best wishes are always there for the seniors and people of our community. Working in a defence undertaking something like over 12 hrs a day, I literally had no time for these sort of activities.
      On retirement and after around 8 years of pilgrimages to various kshetras,i joined this forum and started writing about my visits and about temples, health related queries,stotras etc.,
      Comments like yours will keep me motivated to continue to contribute my mite for our forum.
      HARA HARA SANKARA,JAYA JAYA SANKARA
      Varadarajan

Comment

Dear Sri.Varadarajanji. There is no doubt that you are senior to me. Elders wishes - blessings and advises, will always
        fetch good for all. Beneficially, Your pilgrimage has got more enough Asirvatha Bhalam and your blessings will definitely give goodness for all. With more respect, I am once again seeking your blessings. Thanks.
        ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Working...
        X