X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temples of Kerala

Sabarimala - where millions converge
    Temples of Kerala

Sabarimala is one of the most popular pilgrimage destinations in South India during the festival season in the months of November, December and January. A pilgrimage to Sabarimala involves severe austerities, and a trek through the Western Ghats. Sabarimala enshrines Sastha or Aiyappan - Hariharaputran - the son of Shiva and Vishnu-maya.

Sastha is a popular deity in Kerala, and is enshrined in several of its temples. Five temples dedicated to Sastha are of great importance. Kulathuppuzha enshrines Sastha as a child, Aryankaavu enshrines him as a young lad, Achan Koyil enshrines him with as a householder with his consorts Poorna and Pushkala, Sabarimala enshrines him as his Vanaprasthasramam, and Ponnambala-medu enshrines him as the highest yogi. These five shrines represent the five stages of life as described by the scriptures. Ponnambalam is a spot on a hill where the Makara Jyoti (light) is seen on the day of Makara Sankranti.

Legend: Sastha or Aiyappan is revered as the son of Shiva and Mohini - Vishnu-maya. Legend has it that this divine child was discovered on the banks of the river Pampa by the ruler of the kingdom of Pandalam. The childless king brought up this child Manikandan as his own. A plot hatched by the vile queen sent the valiant Manikandan in search of leapord's milk, as the only suitable cure for the queen's feigned illness. The valiant prince killed the demon Mahishi in the jungle and relieved its inhabitants of untold suffering and returned to the kingdom with a herd of tigers. The divinity of the child revealed, he requested the king to build a temple on the hill Neelimala, where the saint Sabari was engaged in penance.

The temple: Eighteen steps are seen leading to the sanctum, and these steps are considered to be very sacred. Only those who have observed the 41 day penance (see below) are allowed to climb these steps. The pathinettu padi shrine is also seen at the Azhagar Koyil temple near Madurai, which has a subsidiary shrine to the guardian deity Karuppannasami.

Millions undertake the (once)arduous pilgrimage to Sabarimala with 41 days of penance. Much of the route used to be accessible only on foot through rocky jungle paths.* Much of the route now is on motorable road. *

Re: Temples of Kerala

Ii thank all the. Members who viidwed my psts on temples opf Kerala though none have expressed. Their. views. I am now closing that topic as I have covered all. Important and famoustemples of. Kerala.

Comment

Swamin, Thanks for the postings. You have mentioned very details including reason of significance of those temples.
      Still some famous temples are situated i.e Thiruvallam Parasuramar Temple, Attugal Bhagavathi Temple, Kottarakara
      Ganapathi, Srikanteswaram Mahadevar, Amabalapuzha Krishnan, Kodungallur Bhagavathi, etc. If possible, kindly post
      some more temples so that it will be useful for the Pilgrimage planned members. Once again I submit my thanks.
      pranamams, ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Dear Iyer,
        Tiruvallam Parasuramar Temple has benn described well and posted by me on 25-8-2013.
        Type Tiruvallam in the search box in our site and you will see it.
        Hope u will like it.
        Varadarajan
        P.S.And on 20-8-2012, Sri.Brahmanyan Sir posted about Kodungallur Baghavathy.
        Please read and tell us your opinion.
        Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 28-05-15, 16:44.

Comment

dear sir

Your posts on kerala temples are most useful and will be a guide for the visits. No comments means we have not appreciated it.

Kindly post your guides

With respects
          HRK

Comment

many thanks to .mrs.varadarahjan.ggmiyer..ramakrianaiyer for your apt replies. Kindly bear with me till 8 6 15 .

Comment

Swamin, Thank you for the guidance. I will definitely read the thread & express my comments.
              with pranamams, ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Working...
              X