Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEARS OF LORD SHIVA

Tears of Lord Shiva:

There is a holy pond in Pakistan along with hindu temple complex in Katas raj. This ancient Hindu Temple complex is situated 40 Kms from Chakwal city in the District of same name in Punjab, Pakistan. The locals call the complex as “Qila Katas Hindhu mandir".The main temple is a dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is said that the temple has been in existance prior to the days of Mahabharata and the Pandavas have spent substantial part of their period of exile at this holy place. It is also believed that this is the pond where the famous dialogue between the Yaksha and King Yuthishitra known as "Yakshaprasnam" had taken place.

As per the mythological account origin of this temple and tank is related to Sathi devi's death. It is believed that after the death of his beloved consort, lord Shiva shed tears so much and so long that the tears from one eye of the Lord is said to have created the holy pond at Katas, ( Keta-aksha in Sanskrit means 'weeping eye',). And tears from the other eye has created the holy tank at Pushkar, near Ajmer, Rajastan.

According to historians, during Gandhara age, scholars from many parts of the world have visited Katas raj to study in the famous University established here.This is the place where the famous Persian Scholar Al Bairuni, who had written " Kitab- Al-Hind",after exploring the religious faith practiced in India had spent some period of stay at Katas raj to learn Sanskrit in the linguistic University, established there. Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang said to have visited this place around 630 AD and mentions about Katas in his writings. According to one account most of these temples were built by Hind-shahi kings (650-950 AD) driven from Afghanistan by their ethinic cousin Mahmud of Ghazni they fled the region and set a base in Katas.

Prior to partition in 1947 , this Temple complex has attracted tens and thousands of Hindu pilgrims from the sub-continent, and other parts of the world, through out the year. However after the partition the flow subsided and virtually came to an end after 1965 war. In 2005, at the invitation of General Musharraf then President of Pakistan, Shri L.K.Advani visited Katas Raj to launth the renovation program of Katas Raj Temple complex initiated by the Government of Pakistan. And the Indian government was quick to dispatch an Archaeological Survey of India team to survey Katas Raj and facilitate a whistle stop tour of Indian temples for Pakistani archaeologists. Accordingly the Pakistani delegation led by the Punjab Archaelogy Director General Oriya Jan Maqbool was on a 10 day trip to study Hindu architecture and customs, and visited several important Temples in India. The first three year phase of renovation was the complex at the cost of Rs 60.3 million was completed in 2007. A "Siva Linga" was installed and consecrated on February 16, 2007.

Brahmanyan,
    Bangalore.

Last edited by Brahmanyan; 31-05-15, 11:50.

Re: TEARS OF LORD SHIVA

Dear Sir ,
    Thank you very much for sharing this excellent information,

Comment

Thank you Sri.Brahmanyan Sir. Hope the temple exists even now. For the sake of viewers I post two photographs of the temple from the web below.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	katas_raj_pond_20070305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	33976

Name:	Katas_Raj_Temple.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	33977
      varadarajan
      Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 01-06-15, 05:07.

Comment

பழங்காலக் கோட்டை கோவில் போல் தோற்றமளிக்கிறது.நிச்சயமாக இது டூரிஸ்டுகளைக்கவர்ந்து இழுக்கும் என்பதில் ஐயமில்லை

Comment

Originally posted by R.Varadarajan View Post
          Thank you Sri.Brahmanyan Sir. Hope the temple exists even now. For the sake of viewers I post two photographs of the temple from the web below.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1727[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1728[/ATTACH]
          varadarajan
          Dear Sri Varadarajan,

Thank you for uploading the Photographs. In fact I tried to upload the same photos but failed.
          Apart from Hindu pilgrims on "Sivarathri",this place attracts tourists all round the year as well.

I repeat the following rejoinder that I have posted in another forum on my interest in the subject.

"It is my strong belief, the land of present day Pakistan must be holding valuable information on our ancient heritage.
          It was the entrance for the Aryans who brought (or composed) our sacred Vedic knowledge . I have been searching for information in this regard from various sources. There are quite a number of good people in that Country who believe in the same way. Nations and people may change due to historical compulsions, but heritage will not change.

The land of Pakistan has a treasure trove of our ancient heritage like Moenjodaro, Harappa of Indus valley Civilization. This was the land which attracted the great from Macedonian king Alexander in 326 B.C., with whom the Greek culture came to Bharatavarsha. It was here Buddhism adopted as the state religion flourished for 1000 years, from 2nd century B.C.,to 10th century A.D. During this period Taxila (Takshasila), Swat and Charsaddah ( Pushkalavati) became three important centres for culture, trade and learning. "Hundreds of monasteries and stupas were built together with Greek and Kushan towns such as Sirkap and Sirsukh both in Taxila". There are many Hindu and Sikh dynasties ruled this part of the sub-continent and left quite number of heritage sites.

Islam entered in this part of the world only in 712 A.D from the west with the Arab General Muhammad bin Qasim and during the 10th century A.D from the north with the Turkish Sultan Mahmud of Ghaznah ( known as Mahmud Ghaznavi).
          I appreciate the interest shown by you and I intend sharing the information collected by me in this regard with other members of this forum in due course."

Regards,
          Brahmanyan,
          Bangalore.

Comment

Thank you,Sir for your kind words. When I see a post, and if I see something connected with it,like a snapshot I try to add to the post.
            Yes you are right. Why Pakistan?,even Afghanistan is connected to our epics. The city of Kandahar,(where our aircraft was hijacked over 20 years ago) is nothing but our "Ghandhaaram. A famous sakthi peetam is till in Pakistan,( Hinglaj or Hingula,in southern Baluchistan a few hours North-east of Gawadar and about 125 km towards North-west from Karachi )
            Eager to see your posts here regarding the treasure troves you mentioned. If I can contribute anything,just tell me .I will do my best to help you gather material.
            With best wishes,
            Varadarajan

P.S. Re uploading the photos. May be you are trying to upload directly from the website. Instead,download it onto your p.c. or laptop,using 'save image as' in a folder and then upload from it to our site. It gets loaded fast and easily.
            R.V.
            Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 02-06-15, 05:52.

Comment

Dear Swamin,

Very Good research, I am in mind of knowing our ancient culture,temples,
              etc. In this connection 'wikipedia' elaborating the Indo-China religious
              connections as well as Hinduism in China.

Some examples of influence by Hinduism on ancient Chinese religion
              included the belief of "six schools" or "six doctrines" as well as use of Yoga,
              stupas (later became pagoda in East Asia). However, in China,
              Hinduism has never gained much popularity, unlike the beliefs of Buddhism
              and Confucianism. There were exceptions, such as in parts of Tibet.

There was a small Hindu community in China, mostly situated in
              southeastern China. A late thirteenth-century bilingual Tamil and
              Chinese-language inscription has been found associated with the remains
              of a Siva temple of Quanzhou. This was one of possibly two south Indian-
              style Hindu temples that must have been built in the southeastern
              sector of the old port, where the foreign traders' enclave was formerly located.

The Four Heavenly Kings originated from the Lokapālas. Hanuman is believed
              by some scholars to be a source for the Chinese mythological character Sun Wukong.

The Yaksha originally from Hindu history, are a class of nature ghosts
              or demons. Belief in the Yaksha made its way to China through the Lotus Sutra,
              which was originally translated into Chinese by Dharmaraksa around 290 CE,
              before being superseded by a translation in seven fascicles by Kumārajīva in 406 CE.

Many legends and stories in Chinese folk religion, such as Nezha (deity),
              have been traced to Hindu mythology, such as through the 10th century
              translations of Tianxizai. During this influence and synthesis of ideas,
              some terms were mapped into pre-existing concepts - raksasas as luocha,
              others terms were introduced - pisacas in Hinduism as pishezuo in Chinese.
              Ports of China in Guangdong and Quanzhou provinces, mainly by South Indian
              Hindu traders who had been welcomed by Chinese and who had established
              residencies (diaspora communities) and built Hindu temples while they facilitated
              and served the needs of Sino-Indian trade in a wide range of goods;
              Kamrup route (now Manipur and Assam) through Myanmar into south Chinese
              province of Yunnan as well as other southwestern regions of modern China.
              This is attested by the discovery of linga and yoni (Shiva deity icons)
              in Jianchuan caves (Shizhongshan) and Hindu idols and temple parts found
              during excavation of Dali temple in Yunnan.
              Tsung-Ling route (now through Kashmir) was the route that helped monks
              and travelers from China bring Buddhism into China; along with Buddhist texts,
              many ancient Hindu texts and ideas were also carried into China.
              The archaeological evidence of Hinduism's presence in ancient China comes
              from Lopnor and Kizil Caves in Xinjiang province, where carvings of deity Ganesha,
              another mural of a scene from Ramayana epic with Hanuman, and frescoes of other
              Hindu deities. These have been dated to be from 4th to 6th century AD.
              This route is also credited with the spread of some Hindu ideas and arts in
              north-central China by 5th century AD, into provinces as far as Shanxi,
              as evidenced by caves 7 through 9 of Yungang Grottoes in Datong, dedicated
              to various Hindu deities such as Vishnu and Shiva.

Name:	220px-Carving_of_Shiva_from_a_Hindu_Temple_at_Quanzhou.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	33978

Name:	220px-Fujian_in_China_(+all_claims_hatched).svg.png
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	33979
              Kindly distribute your thoughts on researched informations.

Thanks a lot.

ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

Thank you,Sir for your kind words. When I see a post, and if I see something connected with it,like a snapshot I try to add to the post.
                Yes you are right. Why Pakistan?,even Afghanistan is connected to our epics. The city of Kandahar,(where our aircraft was hijacked over 20 years ago) is nothing but our "Ghandhaaram. A famous sakthi peetam is till in Pakistan,( Hinglaj or Hingula,in southern Baluchistan a few hours North-east of Gawadar and about 125 km towards North-west from Karachi )
                Eager to see your posts here regarding the treasure troves you mentioned. If I can contribute anything,just tell me .I will do my best to help you gather material.
                With best wishes,
                Varadarajan

P.S. Re uploading the photos. May be you are trying to upload directly from the website. Instead,download it onto your p.c. or laptop,using 'save image as' in a folder and then upload from it to our site. It gets loaded fast and easily.
                R.V.
                Dear Sri Varadarajan,

Oh yes. The spread of Vedic Religion is far and wide. In fact Princess Gandhari wife of King Dritarashtra was from the Kingdom of Gandaara ( the Modern Kandhahar). Regarding the Sakti peeta in Baluchistan I have written an account of the same in our forum on 03.08.2014 under the caption ஹிங்லாஜ் சக்திபீடம்: http://www.brahminsnet.com/forums/sh...AE%B3%E0%AF%8D

As at present I am concentrating on materials relating to our ancient heritage in the present day Pakistan. Any information about the same will be valuable for me.
                Regards,
                Brahmanyan,
                Bangalore.

PS: I try to upload photos saved in my Computer only. But some how I could not succeed.

Comment

Dear Sri Moorthy Iyer,

Very happy to read your well researched post on spread of Hinduism in China. I am also interested in the History of Hinduism
                  in south east Asia. But unfortunately we could get very few books of authentic Historical accounts on spread of Hinduism in SE Asia written by
                  experts on the subject (except by K.A.Neelaknata Satry and Dr R C Majumdar). At present due to my age and restricted mobility in the
                  traffic ridden City I could search for information only in Computer.

Warm Regards,
                  Brahmanyan,
                  Bangalore.

Comment

Dear Swamin,

Thanks. I am much fond of reading historical places, existing population on Hindu
                    religion, faiths & beliefs, events, etc.

Regarding Southeast Asia, existing Hindu religion & population were researched
                    by educational academic society through conducting survey on all aspects.
                    The releavant research papers are available in the internet. The url.are at the bottom.

Throughout Southeast Asia, large numbers of Hindus continue to practice their faith.
                    According to survey, conducted by educational academic society ,

" InIndonesia, as many as 20 million believers can be found, with numbers particularly
                    concentrated in Bali, Central Java, East Java, and Lampung provinces.
                    In Malaysia andSingapore, Hinduism remains the principal religion of ethnic
                    Indian minorities, whichconstitute 6.3 percent and 4 percent of the total
                    local populations respectively. In Thailand,the number of believers is estimated
                    to be in the hundreds of thousands. An equally large or perhaps larger number
                    can also be found in Myanmar, with official estimates at around900,000. Indeed,
                    small but significant Hindu communities are tallied in every country in theregion:
                    Vietnam has some 50,000, the Philippines 175,000, Timor 5,000 and Brunei some272."

Please refer the following url. for further details.

http://www.academia.edu/2539802/_Cul...on_South_Asia_
                    and_the_construction_of_the_Modern_Thai_Identities_

http://www.academia.edu/4185602/Hind...Southeast_Asia

with warm regards,

ggmoorthyiyer

Comment

R.V.
                      Sri:
                      Given, Suitable and timely suggestion!
                      I too suggest the same.
                      nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
                      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
                      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
                      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
                      Dr.NVS

Comment

Working...
                      X