Purusha Suktam - A Hymn to Lord Rudra
    Courtesy: http://hara-hara-mahadev.blogspot.in...udra-also.html

Continues
    15)
    saptāsyāsan paridhayastriḥ sapta samidhaḥ kṛtāḥ |
    devāyad yajñaṃ tanvānā abadhnan puruṣaṃ paśum ||

asya - For this sacrifice
    sapta - seven were
    paridaya: - the sheathing logs, the fences.
    tri:sapta - Thrice-seven, that is twenty one
    samidhaḥ - the samit-wood firebrands
    kṛtāḥ - made,
    yad yajñaṃ - for the sacrifice for which
    devā - the gods as
    tanvānā - as performers of the sacrifice
    abadhnan - bound
    puruṣaṃ - the purusha
    paśum - as the beast of sacrifice.

Meaning:
    "Seven fencing-sticks had he, thrice seven layers of fuel were prepared,
    When the Gods, offering sacrifice, bound, as their victim, Puruṣa."

Commentary:

sāyaṇācharya says "`aiśṭikasyāvāhavanīyasya traya: paridaya: uttaravedikāstraya: ādityaSca saptama: paridhi pratinidhi rūpa:'' i.e., Three fences are in the uttaravedi part, three in the āvāhanīya and Aditya is the seventh sheath, or fence.

So, the material creation has a framework. What is the framework ? Here it says "saptāsyāsan paridhaya" i.e., Seven were the fences. What are they ? The following are the seven things which act as a framework of creation.

1) Akasha (Space)
    2) Vayu (Air)
    3) Agni (Fire)
    4) Apah (Water)
    5) Prithivi (Earth)
    6) Surya (Sun) i.e., surya signifies Bhuddi or intellect.
    7) Chandra (Moon) i.e., chandra signifies Manas or mind.

Veda Purusha Rudra is the indweller of these seven fences of creation. He himself acts as 'Soul' and enters within this sevenfold framework as living beings. The vedik scriptues explains this as Ashtamurthy form of Lord Shiva. The above mentioned are the seven forms of lord shiva. The 'Atma' (Soul) and the above mentioned seven forms put together called 'Ashtamurthy'. Bhava, Sarva, Ugra, Bhima, Rudra, Pashupati, Mahadeva are the seven names of Lord Shiva associated with the above mentioned sevenfold framework. The eighth one isIshana. He is called Ishana because he is the indweller of Living beings. Ishana is the soul of all beings.

Agni became such like because of Lord Rudra:
    tamabravīdrudro 'sīti | tadyadasya tannāmākarodagnistadrūpamabhavadagniva rudro yadarodīttasmādrudraḥ ( Sathapatha Brahmana VI-1-3-10 )
    'Thou art Rudra And because he gave him that name, Agni became such like (or, that form), for Rudra is Agni . ( Sathapatha Brahmana VI-1-3-10 )

Waters became such like because of Lord Rudra:
    tamabravītsarvo 'sīti | tadyadasya tannāmākarodāpastadrūpamabhavannāpo vai sarvo
    'dbhyo hīdaṃ sarvaṃ jāyate ( Sathapatha Brahmana VI-1-3-11)

" 'Thou art Sarva.' And because he gave him that name, the waters became suchlike, for Sarva is the waters, in as much as from the water everything (sarva) here is produced."

Vayu became such like because of Lord Rudra:
    sa.vai.tvam.ity.abravīt.paśu.patir.eva.iti yat.paśu.patir.vāyus.tena ( Kaushitaki Brahmana 6-2-25 )
    Prajapati said 'Thou art Pasupati,' ; for Pasupati is Vayu (the Wind).

Plants and trees are also Lord Rudra:
    sa.vai.tvam.ity.abravīd.ugra.eva.deva.iti yad.ugro.deva.oṣadhayo.vanaspatayas.tena ( Kaushitaki Brahmana 6-2-37)
    'Thou art Ugradeva (the fierce god),' Prajapati answered; for Ugradeva is plants and trees.

Lord Shiva himself manifests as Aditya(Sun) :
    sa.vai.tvam.ity.abravīn.mahān.eva.deva.iti yan.mahān.deva.ādityas.tena (Kaushitaki Brahmana 6-3-6)
    i.e., Prajapati said,'Thou art Mahadeva (the great god)'; for Mahadeva is Aditya (the Sun).

Lord Shiva himself is Prajapati and Chandrama(Moon):
    tannāmākaroccandramāstadrūpamabhavatprajāpatirvai candramāḥ prajāpatirvai
    mahāndevaḥ ( Sathapatha brahmana 6-1-3-16)

i.e., "He said to him, 'Thou art MahaDeva(the Great God).' And because of that , the moon became suchlike, for the moon is Prajapati, and Prajapati is the mahadeva."

Lord Rudra himself is Indra:
    sa.vai.tvam.ity.abravīd.aśanir.eva.iti yad.aśanir.indras.tena ( Kaushitaki Brahmana 6-3-41)
    i.e., Prajapathi said to Rudra 'Thou art Asani' ; for Asani is Indra.

Lord Rudra is sarvadeva swaroopa :
    All Gods are various forms and potencies of Lord Shiva only. All gods forms the body of Lord Rudra. Regarding this Sathapatha Brahmana (IX-1-1-1) says :

"athātaḥ śatarudriyaṃ juhoti | atraiṣa sarvo 'gniḥ saṃskṛtaḥ sa eṣo 'tra rudro devatā tasmindevā etadamṛtaṃ rūpamuttamamadadhuḥ sa eṣo 'tra dīpyamāno 'tiṣṭhadannamicamānastasmāddevā abibhayuryadvai no 'yaṃ na hiṃsyāditi "
    "Now offer an oblation with the 'Satarudriya'. Here this universal fire has been prepared; and here this Rudra is the deity. In him the gods placed this most excellent immortal form. Here he rose up flaming, desiring food. The gods were afraid of him, 'lest' (they thought) 'he should destroy us'."

SriRudram of Yajurveda says that Lord Rudra is the sparkling heart of all Devas.

devana hridayebhyo namah (Yaurveda iv.5.9.p) i.e., Homage to Rudra who is the sparkling hearts of the gods. (Yaurveda iv.5.9.p)

Yo rudro agnau yo apsu ya oshhadhishhu
    Yo rudro vishva bhuvanaaavivesha tasmai rudraya namo astu (YajurVeda 5:5:9-i )

MEANING: The Rudra in the fire, in the waters, in the plants, the Rudra that hath entered all beings, to that Rudra be homage.

Now we understand that the creation has a framework. So, what will be offered within this sevenfold framework ? The sukta says twentyone (trisapta) are the 'samidhaḥ' i.e., the samit-wood firebrands which are offered in the sevenfold framework. So, what are those twenty-one ?

The twenty-one are :

"Pañca Tanmātrās" - or five objects (color, sound, smell, taste, touch)
    "Pañca jñāna indriyas" - or five sense organs (eyes, ears, nose, tongue and body)
    "Pañca karma indriyas" - or five organs of action - The organs of action are hands, legs, vocal apparatus, urino-genital organ and anus.
    "Pañca mahābhūtas" or five great substances - earth, water, fire, air and ether.
    "Antahkarana" - which is 'manobuddhiahamkara'

so, 5+5+5+5+1 = 21.

panchamahabhutas act as both framework as well as ingredient.

16)
    yajñena yajñamayajanta devāstāni dharmāṇi prathamānyāsan |
    te ha nākaṃ mahimānaḥ sacanta yatra pūrve sādhyāḥsanti devāḥ ||

yajñena - By sacrifice
    devā - did the Gods
    ayajanta - sacrifice
    yajñam - to sacrifice.
    tāni - The
    dharmāṇi - associated dharmas
    āsan - became
    prathamāni - the first.
    te mahimānaḥ - By the glory of these very dharmas
    sacante - will the great ones achieve
    yatra nākaṃ - that heaven where
    poorve - the ones who were, before,
    devāḥ - the Gods
    sādhyāḥ - the achievers,
    santi - are.

Meaning:
    Gods, sacrificing, sacrificed the victim these were the earliest holy ordinances.
    The Mighty Ones attained the height of heaven, there where the Sādhyas, Gods of old, are dwelling.
Working...
X