• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THRIKKARIYOOR MAHADEVA TEMPLE

Courtesy:Sri.R.Gopalakrishnan

THRIKKARIYOOR MAHADEVA TEMPLE

Dear friends

Last Monday I have been to Thrikkariyoor Mahadeva Temple, near Kothamangalam, Kerala. The temple has been recently renovated and gives a very pleasing appearance. This temple is Kuladeivam temple of my daughter after marriage. My third sister in law too belongs to Trikkariyur.

It is a calm temple and well maintained. We have taken the route from Ernakulam- Alwaye and direct to Trikkariyur to reach the temple. It is my third visit to the temple in the recent time.

During 1964's I was a teacher in the Devaswam Board High school there for a short period before joining the Post and Telegraphs Department.

There is a Devi temple opposite to Siva temple. Devi is vanadurga. Top of the roofing before deity is open. Though the temple is small, a few small trees are there inside the temple now too. Devi is also facing east similar to Lord Siva – a specialty here. We can have a close look at Siva Linga from the entrance to Sanctum while worshipping.

Trikkariyur was/is having an agraharam on the way to the temple. Now most houses are either not occupied or occupied by others. There is ample parking space opposite to agraharam line where we parked our traveller's car. I recently read it is the last temple installed by sage Parasurama- the chiranjeevi.

The temple is large. Neatly maintained, and not at all crowded. Dhara is the main offering in the temple. It can be performed using milk, water, tender coconut water etc. There is a large pond before the temple and well maintained. A few Nampoothri illams are there on the North side of Pond. One Vishnu Nampoothri from an illam there was my co teacher while teaching there, and my nostalgic memories of taking meals from his illam came to me while looking that side.

1. Introduction

Thrikkariyoor Mahadeva Temple, Kothamangalam. It is declared as one of the 11 holy temples in Kerala. Thrikkariyur is believed to be the capital of ancient Chera Kingdom. It is near to the Ekachakra gramam (Kothamangalam) which was famous from time immemorial. It is believed that Aryan Brahmins were settled here in Kothamnagalam even in the 1st century AD. There existed tremendous commercial trade between Pandyan Kingdom and Muzris in the ancient times and it was through the royal route of Madura -Alwaye which passes through Kothamangalam.

Due to the Pandian attack on this place, the population fled to adjacent places and Kothamangalam and the suburbs were left uninhabited for 2 centuries in the 8th and 9th centuries AD.

***Thrikakariyur temple and Kothamangalam Cheria palli is connected by a strong belief of the people in the vicinity. The church festivities would not commence until the "para and lantern" from Thrikkariyoor temple reach the church.

My note- ***the above is a quite new information to me.

The river flowing adjacent to the temple is connecting Karur village in Kothamangalam which is having a direct link to Thrikkaroor historically. Karur is believed to be the capital of 1st Chera Kingdom (the location is doubtful among various historians of Kerala). Historians like Prof. Joseph Mundassery and V.Kanakasabha favour Thrikkariyur as the capital of early Chera Kingdom.

However, the mysterious history is to be unfolded by archaeological division and it will enhance the historical importance of this holy temple.

2. Brahmin settlement

Thrikariyur is a vital location in the history of Kerala. It was here that the Brahmans established one of their early settlements. There are popular as well as historical comments that the Brahmans organised a long sit-in to expel the Buddhists from this ancient holy shrine. (Ref: - V V K Valath, Keralathile Sthalanama Charithrangal: Ernakulam Jilla, Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Thrissur, 1992). There are also local legends among the people that this was an ancient Buddhist temple. Parasurama signifies the iconic figure of Aryan invasion. This legend seems to be correct as the structure and site date back to the early centuries of the millenium. According to current historical scholarship the Brahmans began to migrate into Kerala only after the fourth or fifth century. So the temple is older than their southward migration, and is pre-Hindu/Brahmanic at any respect.

3 Shiva Temple

The Thrikkariyoor Shiva Temple is considered to be the last pratishta of Lord Parasurama. It is the last among the 108 Shivalayas consecrated by Parasurama. Legend goes that, Lord Parasurama (sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu) created the land between Gokarna and Kanyakumari. After many years of penance Parasurama invoked Lord Varuna (Lord of the Oceans) to absolve Himself of His sins. Parasurama wanted to donate some land to the Brahmins and asked for this boon from Lord Varuna. Varuna gave Parasurama an axe and asked him to throw it as far as possible. The distance the axe covers from Gokarna will be given to him. The axe thrown from Gokarna landed in Kanyakumari, there by creating the land (Kerala) for Brahmins. After this, Parasurama set about establishing 64 villages and consequently 108 Shiva temples in that stretch. Apparently Thrikkariyoor is where Parasurama attained Salvation.
    It is also believed that THIS TEMPLE CONTAINS THE SPIRITS OF LORD SHIVA AND LORD KRISHNA. But there isn't much info behind the reason for this belief. Another significance of Thrikkariyoor is that it is believed to be Capital of the Chera Dynasty. Some historians even claim that Thrikkariyoor is the modern Karur, although there is not much support for this theory.

4 Bhagvathy Temple

It is a small temple with medieval architecture. There is calmness about the temple that will put your mind at peace - The quietness and solitude of this holy place makes you feel a lot closer to God. Jaggery pudding (Sarkara payasam) is the main offering in the temple. This temple too is renovated with excellent tiles provided around the sanctum for pradikshnam now.

5 Upadevatas

Here, in all offerings & anushtana's Siva and Vishnu will be praised. Ganapathy, Vanadurga, Saptamatrukkal, Ayyappan, Yakshi etc are Upadevas.

6 Rituals and rites

The rites and rituals are based on those of the Arya Dravida traditions. It is also believed to be the Capital of Chera Dynasty.

This is considered as that last pratistha of Parasurama. Here, the deity is Sankaranarayana as Vishnu's presence is also there. At the beginning of Sanghakkali offered by Chathira's, first they will pray to Thrikkariyoorappan. The temple is considered as the last pratistha of Parasurama. This temple deserves a special mention, as it is believed to have the spirits of Lord Krishna and Lord Shiva.

7. outside Prakarams

There is a big anakottil and well laid thalakkal for sreebali. The temple premises are large. The road to Trikkariyur ends before the western nata of the temple. Through the southern side and northern side streets we can go to Eastern side. They are also motarable.
Working...
X