THE SECRET OF SURRENDER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE SECRET OF SURRENDER

I must have read this message at least ten times and more. It should capture your mind as it did mine.

The Secret Of Surrender
    Seeing The Illusion
    by Madisyn Taylor

Surrender should be seen as a great strength and comes when we let go of trying to attain the impossible.

Most of us were raised and live in a culture that emphasizes the ideals of independence and control. The general idea is that we are on our own and we don’t need any help from anyone else, and if we are really successful it’s because we are in complete control. However, true lasting success comes only with surrender, which is the opposite of control. We cannot accomplish anything truly great on our own, without any help, and the idea that we can is an illusion that causes most of us a great deal of suffering. Surrender comes when we see that illusion and let go of trying to attain the impossible. Surrender can then be seen as a great strength rather than a weakness.

Even small moments of surrender are powerful indicators of how different our lives could be if we would only let go. We’ve all had the experience of extending huge amounts of effort and energy to reach a particular goal only to realize that we can’t make it happen after all. At the moment of letting go, realizing that we need to ask for help or simply release our agenda entirely, a profound feeling of relief may rush over us. This warm, open sensation is the essence of surrender, and if we didn’t feel that we didn’t really let go. But it is never too late to let go, even of things in the past that didn’t work out the way we wanted them to, because surrender is always an option in every moment of our lives.

When we finally do surrender, our goals actually become possible, because the act of surrender is, in essence, asking for the help we need. This help may come in the form of other human beings or unseen helpers such as angels or inner guides. It may also come in the form of shifting circumstances, the small miracles that we call grace.

PC RAMABADRAN

Re: THE SECRET OF SURRENDER

Some how I do not understand and agree with the article posted. I wrote an article on Surrender, which I have pasted below:

Surrender – SaranAgathi

The word surrender in English as per Britanica Encyclopedia dictionary “the action of yielding one’s person or giving up the possession of something especially into the power of another”.

In general terms it is mainly referred to the ‘physical phenomenon’ such as ‘physical liberty, or physical arms and ammunition etc..

But in spiritual terms when we say ‘Surrender to the Lord’ there are many opinions and confusions that arise primarily on ‘what’ to surrender. Some of the questions that arise are:

- Are we to surrender and give up our physical possessions such as food, cloth, comfort of the house, or the family?
    - Are we to surrender and give up the ‘physical actions’ that has negative outcomes such as anger, jealousy, envy, gluttony etc..?
    - Are we to surrender all our physical actions?
    - Are we to surrender all our mental and emotional ‘actions’?
    - Are we to surrender our choices, thinking and free will?

Here, we lack a clear concept. Even a thief is clear when he says he is surrendering to the Police, that he perceives Police as the designated authority, he sees himself as an offender of the authority, he is clear about what he is surrendering namely his physical freedom. He is clear he is not surrendering his mind, his ideas, his ideologies and has the option and choice to get legal help

In our case, we are not clear. We need to go back to the basics and root-cause analysis and start questioning and getting the right answers. This can happen if we approach our Gurus and ask them and the True Gurus have the answers.

If we start questioning, all the questions invariably leads to the concept “I”. It is the ‘I’ that generates all the actions, all thinking, all choices, even the free will is generated from the ‘I’. It is the same ‘I’ that is the answer for the question ‘who wants to surrender?’. Then also comes the question does this ‘I’ different from the Lord as a substratum. At that point it becomes clear to us that because the ‘I’ started to think that it is different apart from the Lord, all these questions, confusions and the whole lot have come about.

To clear all this we need to surrender the ‘I’ back to the Lord where truly it belongs. Surrender our ‘Self’. This is the only course and only aim.

Is anything else there to surrender once we have surrendered the ‘I’?

This is true SaranAgathi

-- Sriram S L

Comment

Surrendering to God has six requirements according to the RamanujaSchool:
      1. The determination to do only that which is favorable to the Lord and pleasing to Him.
      2. The avoidance of everything that is unfavorable or displeasing to the Lord.
      3. The conviction that 'He will protect me under all circumstances'.
      4. Adoption of the Lord as the only Protector.
      5. Laying of one's entire self at the disposal of the Lord.
      6. The feeling of total triviality and nothingness vis-à-vis the Lord

Comment

Sri:
        Here is the Sanskrit Sloka for that:

अनुकूल्यस्य सङ्कल्पः प्रातिकूलस्य वर्जनम्।
        रक्षिष्यतीति विश्वासो गोप्तुत्व वरणं तथा।।
        आत्म निक्षेप कार्पण्ये षडविधा शरणागतिः।

ஆநுகூல்யஸ்ய ஸங்கல்ப: ப்ராதிகூல்யஸ்ய வர்ஜநம்
        ரக்ஷஸ்யதீதி விச்வாஸ: கோப்த்ருத்வ வரணம் ததா
        ஆத்ம நிக்ஷேப கார்பண்யே ஷட்விதா சரணாகதி:

இதன் பொருளையே ஆண்டாள் தன் திருப்பாவையில் இரண்டாம் பாசுரத்தில் குறிப்பிடுகிறாள்:

வையத்து வாழ்வீர்காள் நாமும் நம்பாவைக்குச் செய்யும் கிரிசைகள் கேளீரோ?
        பரமனடிபாடி ... சரணாகதி குறித்து
        நெய்யுண்ணோம் .... செய்யாதன செய்யோம் .....
        விரும்பியவற்றைச் செய்வோம்
        விரும்பாதவற்றைச் செய்யோம்

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
        please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
        Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
        Best Wishes and Best Regards,
        Dr.NVS

Comment

Working...
        X