Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narayaneeyam

Narayaneeyam Dasakam: 61 Blessing given to wives of Brahmins

Sri Krishna accompanied by Balarama and the cowherd boys went far away from Brindavan. Some of the boys became hungry and approached Sri Krishna and said, "Hunger is oppressing us. Kindly find out some means to appease it." Sri Krishna said, "O friends! The Brahmins, versed in the Vedas, are performing a great sacrifice called Angirasa for the purpose of attaining Heaven in a place which is at a short distance from here. Go to their sacrificial hall. Take our names and ask them for food."

The boys went to the sacrificial hall and asked for food from the Brahmins. The Brahmins turned a deaf ear to them. They looked upon Sri Krishna as an ordinary mortal and ignored His request. Yajna was all in all for them, but they disregarded the Lord of the Yajnas.When the Brahmins said neither 'yes' nor 'no', the cowherd boys lost hope, returned disappointed, and reported the facts to Sri Krishna.

Krishna laughed and said, "Friends! Go to the wives of the Brahmins this time." They did. The ladies hastened to Krishna with dishes full of eatables of all sorts despite the protests of their husbands, brothers and sons. Sri Krishna said, "O blessed ladies! Welcome to you all. Please take your seats. Tell me what I should do for you. You have come only to see Me. I am Atman and therefore the most beloved. Those who care for Atman have unconditional and unswerving devotion towards Me.
    What can there be more dear than Atman? Now you have seen Me. They havetoperform the sacrifices withyourhelp."Gobacktoyourhusbands. The wives of the Brahmins said, "O Lord! We have sought your feet only. We have abandoned our relatives. Our husbands, parents, sons, brothers and relations will not accept us. We will be discarded by everyone else in the world. We have no other support. We have laid ourselves at your feet. Be gracious to extend your protection to us. Let us be Thy servants."

Sri Krishna said, "O blessed ladies! Go back to your homes. Your husbands, sons, parents, etc., will not be displeased with you. By my command, all people, even the Devas, will approve of your conduct. You have been accepted by Me. Therefore the whole world will honour you. Mere physical nearness to Me or direct contact with Me is not necessary for love or devotion. Think of Me with all your heart. You will soonattainMe."

The wives of those Brahmins returned to the sacrificial hall. The Brahmins did not find fault with their behaviour. When the Brahmins came to know that Sri Krishna was God Himself, they repented very much for their conduct. The Brahmins realize the superiority of devotion over rituals.
Working...
X