X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slokas for every activity we do

Courtesy:http://anymomscorner.blogspot.in/201...fic-sloka.html

Activity specific sloka
    Slokas for our kids - categorised based on activity.

Every activity in one's life is viewed as a result of the powers above. Hence each activity is revered and a prayer chanted to execute the task on hand more out of sincerity and devotion rather than out of "i know everything" attitude.

It is said that:
    Two things define your success in life:
    1) The way you manage when you have nothing
    2) The way you behave when you have everything

These slokas help not only keep one grounded but also reduce greatly the haste involved.

Recalling the sloka and chanting it, by itself and unknowingly induces a pause before the start of the activity which helps free flow of thoughts and a cooler approach to activity on hand...

1) Before the start of any activity
    Suklam baratharam vishnum sasivarnam sathurbujam
    Prasanna vadanam dyayeth sarva vignoba santhaye

one who wears a white garment, all pervading one who has a brilliant complexion (like the full moon) one who has four hands, one who has an ever smiling face I meditate upon thee for the removal of all obstacles.

A quick mind teaser: Any idea which god is invoked in this sloka?! Well, this as all our elders have taught us, is indeed a ganesha sloka but the name never figures and so the confusion. Well, the clue to the God is here:
    a) "sasi varnam" - Vishnu is gen. megha varnam but here it is mentioned sasi varnam.
    b) "sarva vignoba santhaye" - Ganesha is the only god called upon to remove obstacles and as maha periyava puts it he is the only vigna nashaka and hence this sloka refers to Ganesha.
    c) "Visnum" - Lord Ganesha is actually called upon to protect and hence the word "visnum" or "the one who protects"

2) Prarthana
    Twameva mata cha pita twameva
    Twameva bandhushcha sakha twameva
    Twameva vidya dravinam twameva
    Twameva sarvam mama deva deva

You are my mother and my father You are my relative and friend You are my knowledge and my wealth You are my all O Lord of Lords.

3) EARLY MORNING PRAYERS (No idols, God is in our own self)
    The first thing when we get up in the morning before we see anyone or anything we must look at our open palms joint together and recite this mantra

Karaagre vasate lakshmi
    karamadhye saraswati
    karamooleh tu govinda
    prabhaate karadarshanam

The front part of the hands (the finger tips) are ascribed to Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth, the middle part (the palm proper) to Goddess Saraswati - the Goddess of learning and the root (the part of of hand near the wrist) to Govinda (God). Therefore, every morning, one should have a respectful look at one's hand which symbolizes honest labor.

4) BEFORE GETTING DOWN FROM THE BED
    Samudravasane devi
    parvatastana mandale
    vishnupatni namastubhyam
    paada sparsham kshamasva me

O! Mother Earth, who has the ocean as clothes and mountains and forests on her body, who is the wife of Lord Vishnu, I bow to you. Please forgive me for touching you with my feet.

5) WHILE TAKING A BATH
    Gange cha Yamune chaiva
    Godaavari Saraswati,
    Narmadhe Sindhu Kaveri
    Jale asmin sannidhim kuru

In this water, I invoke the presence of holy waters from the rivers Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Saraswati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri

6) BEFORE EATING
    Brahmaarpanam brahma havih
    brahmaagnau braahmanaa hutam
    brahmaiva tena gantavyam
    brahma karma samaadhinaa

A process of offering is Brahman, the oblation is Brahman, the instrument of offering is Brahman, the fire to which the offering is made is also Brahman. For such a one who abides in Brahman, by him alone Brahman is reached

7) AFTER EATING
    अगस्त्यम कुम्भकर्णं च शनिंच बडवानलं
    आहार परिपाकार्थ स्मरेद भीमं च पंचमं
    Agastyam kumbhakarnam cha shanim cha badavaanalam
    Aahaara paripaakaartham smared bhimam cha panchakam

Chant this mantra while caressing your stomach with your left hand in the anti clock wise direction after having your meal. It helps in quick digestion.

8) a) WHILE LIGHTING A LAMP
    Shubham karoti kalyaanam
    aarogyam dhana sampadaa
    shatrubuddhi vinaashaaya
    deepajyoti namostute

I salute the One who is the lamplight, that brings auspiciousness, prosperity, good health, abundance of wealth, and the destruction of the intellect's enemy

b) WHILE LIGHTING THE LAMPS DURING KARTHIGAI FESTIVAL
    Keetaha PatangAha MashakAha cha vrukhshAha
    JalE sthalE ye nivasanti JeevAha
    DruShTvA pradeepam na cha janma bhAjAha
    SukhinAha Bhavantu svapachAha hi viprAha

Keetaha - insects; PatangAha - fireflies; MashakAha - mosquitoes; cha - and vrukhshAha - trees;
    ye JeevAha - those living beings nivasanti - whose abode is; JalE - water; sthalE - land;
    DruShTvA pradeepam - see this kartigai deepam; na cha janma bhAjAha - may they attain the end of the cycle of samsaram
    SukhinAha Bhavantu - may they all be happy; svapachAha hi viprAha - be they chandalas or highly revered vedic pandits.

Learned people say that just by seeing the brightly lit kartigai deepam, insects, birds, reptiles, trees and all living things residing in water and land can be permanently liberated from bondages and cycle of rebirth and stay happy, be it chandalas or revered pandits.

9) MANTRA FOR REMOVING ANY OBSTACLES
    1) Vakra Thunda Maha Kaya,
    Koti Soorya Sama prabha,
    Nirvignam Kuru me Deva,
    sarva karyesshu sarvadha

God who has an immense body, God who has a broken tusk, God who shines like millions of Suns, Remove all my problems, From all that I do and at all times.

2) Sanjeeva parvathoddhara mama dukham nivaraya
    ghoran upadravan sarvan nasha yakshasuranthaka
    markatesha mahothsaha sarva shoka vinashaka
    shatrun samhara mama raksha shriyam dhathwa cha mambhara

10) Guru slokas
    1) Gurur brahmaa gurur vishnuh
    gurur devo maheshvarah
    gurur saakshaat parabrahma
    tasmai shree gurave namah.

Know the Guru to be Brahma himself. He is Vishnu. He is also Shiva. Know Him to be the Supreme Brahman, and offer thy adorations unto that peerless Guru

2) Gnanananda Mayam Devam
    Nirmala Spatika Kruthim
    Aadharam Sarva Vidyanam
    Hayagrivam Upasmahe

I promise myself before the Goddess who is the personification of knowledge and Happiness, who is very pure, and who is the basis of all learning

3) Namaste Shaarade-Devi
    Kaashmiira-pura Vaasini
    Tvaam-Aham Praartthaye Devi
    Vidyaa-Buddhimcha Dehi Meh

I bow to Goddess Shaarada, resident of the regions of Kashmir, I pray to you to give us the gift of education and knowledge.

4) Saraswathi Namasthubyam,
    Varadey Kaamarupinee
    Vidhyarambham Karishyami
    Sidhir bhavathu mey sada

Oh Goddess, Saraswathi, my humble salutations to you, who are the fulfiller of all my wishes. I start my studies with the request that thou will bestow Thy blessings on me

11) Seeking forgiveness for any errors in pronounciation or utterance
    yadakshara pada-bhrashTam mAtra hInantu yad bhavet
    tatsarvam kshyamyatAm deva nArAyaNa namostute
    visarga bindu mAtrANi pada pAdAksharANi cha
    nyUnAni chAtirikdhAni kshamasva purushottamah

12) BEDTIME PRAYER
    Karacharanam kritam vaa kaayajam karmajam vaa
    shravananayanajam vaa maanasam vaaparaadham
    vihitamavihitam vaa sarvametatkshamasva
    jaya jaya karunaabdhe shriimahaadeva shambho

Oh Lord kindly forgive my wrong actions done knowingly or unknowingly, either through my organs of action (hand, feet, speech) or through my organs of perception (eyes, ears) or by my mind. Glory unto Thee who is the ocean of kindness.

13) SEEKING GOOD HEALTH: Maha Mrutunjaya Mantra (for long and healthy life)
    Om Trayambakam Yajamahe
    Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
    Urvarukamiva Bandhanat
    Mrityormukshiya Mamritat

Om-We worship the three eyed-one (Lord Shiva) who is fragrant and who nourishes well all beings; may He liberate us from death for the sake of Immortality even as a cucumber is severed from its bondage(to the creeper)

14) For healing your body from any afflictions while taking medicine
    1) Om namo bhagavathe Vaasudevaya
    Dhanvanthreye amruta kalasa hasthaya
    Sarva aamaya naashanaya thrailoka naathaya
    sOm shri Mahavishnave namah.

2) Sharire jarjari bhute
    vyadhi graste kalevare
    oushadham jaanhavi toyam
    vaidhyo naraayano Harihi

15) SEEKING VICTORY (in all our activities)
    Jaya cha Vijaya Chaiva
    Jayanthi Saparajitha
    Kupchika Kalika Sasthri
    Veena Pusthaka Daarini

16) SEEKING WEALTH
    Maha Lakshmi Maha Kali
    Maha Kanya Saraswati
    Bhoga Vaibhava Santhathri
    Bhakta anugraha Karini

17) On receiving all goodness, to retain sanity lest it goes to the head
    Na Punyam Na Paapam Na Soukhyam Na Dukham,
    Na Manthro Na Theertham Na Veda Na Yagna,
    Aham Bhojanam Naiva Bhojyam Na Bhoktha,
    Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham

Never do I have good deeds or sins or pleasure or sorrow, Neither do I have holy chants or holy water or holy books or fire sacrifice, I am neither food or the consumer who consumes food, I am Shiva, I am Shiva, of nature knowledge and bliss.

18) To ward off bad dreams
    Rama Skanda hanumantam
    vainateyam vrukodaram
    Shayana yah smaren nityam
    duhswapnah tasya nasyati

19) To ward off enemies and poison
    Ananthou vaasuki shesho
    Padmanabhascha kambalaha
    Shanka padou darta rashtrou
    Takshakaha kaliya sootha
    Yethani nava naamani
    Naagaa naamcha mahatmanaam
    Saayam kaale pate nithyam
    Pratha kaale visheshaha
    Tasmay visha bhayam naasti
    Sarvatra vijayee bhaveth

20) To regain lost items
    Karthaveeryaarjuno naama raaja baahu sahasra bruth
    Tasya smarana maathrena Hrutham Nashtam cha Labyathi

21) SLOKA TO RECITE BEFORE OUR JOURNEY
    Vanamali Gadi Sharangee
    Changee chakreecha Nandaki
    Sriman NarayanoVishnur
    Vasudevobi Rakshatu

Lord Narayana who also took the form of Krishna! Who holds the bow,sudharshana wheel to protect us from dangers. Please protect us from any danger and make our journey smooth.

22) Praying for long life and good health and cleansing of sins:
    Akala Mrityu haranam
    Sarvavyadhinivaranam
    Sarva papa kshayakaram
    Vishnupadodakam shubham

23) Sloka to wish someone on their birthday (or for any occasion - sort of blessings)
    Swastya Stute kushala mastu
    Chirayurastu Vidhya Viveka
    Krithi Koushala Siddirastu
    Aishwaryamastu Bhalamastu
    Sadaa Jayostu
    Vamshasya Daiva Bhavatahee
    Sudeepya Thu Asthu

24) Sloka to bless someone
    SathamAnam bhavathy SathAyu:
    Purusha syathendriyaha
    Ayush yEvendhriyah
    Prathithishtathi

Life for 100 years with faculties and functions in tact is invoked here, as one looks at the Lord at the center of Soorya MaNDalam

25) TULASI SLOKA
    1) namah tulasi kalyaaNi namo vishnu priye shubhe
    namo moksha pradaayike devi namaH sampatpradaayike

Salutations to the benevolent Thulasi, Salutations to the holy darling of Vishnu Salutations to goddess giving salvation, Salutations to her who grants wealth.

2) Yanmule sarva thirthani yanmadye sarva devatha
    yadagre sarva vedashcha Tulasi thvam namam mayham

I bow to the Tulasi at whose base (Yanmule) are all the holy places (Sarva thirthani), at whose middle (yanmadye) are all deities (sarva devatha) and on whose top (yadagre) reside all Vedas (sarva vedashcha) . We see Tulasi as the embodiment of everything.

26) Slokas from Upanishads
    1) Om Sahana Bhavatu, Sahanao Bhunaktu
    Sahaveeryam Karvaa vahai
    Tejaswee Naava Dheeta Mastu
    Ma Vidvishaa vahai
    Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

May He protect both of us. May He nourish both of us. May we both acquire the capacity (to study and understand the scriptures). May our study be brilliant. May we not argue with each other. Om peace, peace, peace.

2) Lead from darkness to light, ignorance to wisdom:
    Asatho Maa Sadh Gamaya
    Thamaso Maa Jyothir Gamaya
    Mrithyor Maa Amritham Gamaya
    Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Lead me from untruth to truth; Lead me from darkness to light; Lead me from death to immortality.

3) Om poornamadah poornamidam
    Poornaat poornamudachyate
    Poornasya poornamaadaya
    Poornamevaavashishyate

That (pure consciousness) is full (perfect); this (the manifest universe of matter; of names and forms being maya) is full. This fullness has been projected from that fullness. When this fullness merges in that fullness, all that remains is fullness. - Peace invocation -Isa Upanishad

4) Om sham no mitrah sham varunah
    sham no bhavatvaryamaa
    Sham na indro brihaspatih
    sham no vishnuru-rukramah
    Namo brahmane namaste vaayo
    twameva pratyaksham Brahmaasi
    twaameva pratyaksham brahma vadishyaami
    Ritam vadishyaami satyam vadishyaami
    Tanmaam avatu tadvaktaaram avatu
    Avatu maam avatu vaktaaram
    Om shantih shantih shantih!

May Mitra, Varuna and Aryama be good to us! May Indra and Brihaspati and Vishnu of great strides be good to us! Prostrations unto Brahman! (Supreme Reality). Prostrations to Thee, O Vayu! Thou art the visible Brahman. I shall proclaim Thee as the visible Brahman. I shall call Thee the just and the True. May He protect the teacher and me! May he protect the teacher! Om peace, peace, peace!

5) Shanti Mantra (Universal Prayer)
    Om sarveshaam swastir bhavatu
    Sarveshaam shantir bhavatu
    Sarveshaam poornam bhavatu
    Sarveshaam mangalam bhavatu
    Sarve bhavantu sukhinah
    Sarve santu niraamayaah
    Sarve bhadraani pashyantu
    Maakaschit duhkha bhaag bhavet

Auspiciousness (swasti) be unto all; peace (shanti) be unto all;fullness (poornam) be unto all; prosperity (mangalam) be unto all. May all be happy! (sukhinah)May all be free from disabilities! (niraamayaah) May all look (pashyantu)to the good of others!May none suffer from sorrow! (duhkha)

6) Hiranmayena patrena satya sapihitam mukham
    Tat twam pusam apavarnu satya dharmaya drustaye.

Like the lid of a vessel, O Sun, your gold covers the entrance to the truth. Please open the door to lead me to the truth. (Isavasya Upanishad). Generally, Prayer said before performing Surya Namaskar.

7) Om tachhan yoraavRiNeemahe Gaatum yagyaaya
    Gaatum yagya-pataye Daivii svasti-rastu naH
    Svastir-maanushhebhyaHa Uurdhvam jigaatu bheshhajam
    Shanno astu dvipade Shan chatushhpade
    OM shaanti shaanti shaantiH

We pray so that we may chant in praise of yagnya (sacrifice) and sing in praise of Lord of Yagnyas. May we be granted Divine Blessings. May peace be unto the whole human race. May healing herbs (crops) grow in abundance. Bheshhajam = crops. Let two-legged (humans) & 4-legged (animals) beings thrive and be peaceful and happy. Dvipade- 2-legged; Chatushpade- 4-legged. Peace, Peace, Peace (Peace to the Body, Mind and Soul)

8) Gayatri Mantra
    Aum Bhoor Bhuwah Swaha
    Tat Savitur Varenyam
    Bhargo Devasaya Dheemahi
    Dhiyo Yo Naha Prachodayat

Om, I adore the Divine Self who illuminates the three worlds -physical, astral and causal; I offer my prayers to that God who shines like the Sun. May He enlighten our intellect.

27) Sloka for Mangal Aarti
    1) Karpoora Gauram Karunavataram
    Samsara Saram Bhujagendra Haram
    Sada Vasantam Hridayaravinde
    Bhavam Bhavani Sahitam Namami

I salute to the merciful Bhava (i.e. Shiva) who is with his consort Parvati,Adorned with the necklace of the serpant

2) Mangalam Bhagavan Vishnum
    Mangalam Garudadhwajah
    Mangalam Pundareekaksham
    Mangalayatano Harih

All auspiciousness to God Vishnu All auspiciousness to One who has Garuda as His flag All auspiciousness to One who has eyes like the lotus flowers And auspiciousness to Hari

3) Sarva Mangala Mangalye
    Shive Sarvartha Sadhike
    Sharanye Tryambake Gauri
    Narayani Namostute
    Narayani Namostute
    Narayani Namostute

O Parvati, you who makes all desires possible the most auspicious of the auspicious My refuge, Gauri, Triambika, I salute to You I salute to you I salute to you.

28) For Rotation (on the spot thrice clockwise from the right side) before namaskaram

1) Yani kani cha papani
    Janmantara kritanicha
    Tani tani vinashyanti
    Pradakshinam pade pade

I rotate in my place(in front of the Deity) to kill all my sinsThat I may have committed in my past births

2) Prakrishta papa nashaya
    Prakrishta phala siddhaye
    Pradakshinam karomityam
    Praseeda Parameshwari

O Parameshwari, please show mercy on me. I rotate in my place in front of you, To kill all my sins And to seek Your blessings

3) Anyatha sharanam nasty
    Twameva sharanam mama
    Tasmat karunya bhavena
    Raksha Raksha Maheswara

29) Sloka for doing namaskaram
    Kayena vacha manasendriyairva
    Buddhyatmana va prakrite swabhavath
    Karoomi yadyad sakalam parasmai
    Narayanayeti samarpayami

Whatever I do with my mind, body, speech or with other senses of my body, Or with my intellect or with my innate natural tendencies I offer everything to Narayana
Working...
X