Question and answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question and answer

Sir, While we in Hinduism believe in Panchaboothams i.e. Vayu, Varunan, Fire, Sky & Earch, the dead ones are cremated. But in other religions they are buried. What is the thathpariyam/principle governing the cremation? I can presume the importance of fire in our rituals, especialy, Homams, Yagams, etc What is the distinction of burial and cremation?

Re: Question and answer

Sri:
    Hinduism is the name later given by somebody and there is no name for our "Sanathana dharmam".
    As per our dharma all creature in the world are belong to this dharma only.
    The classification is suitable for all.
    There are two type of samskarams :
    1) kananam
    2) dhahanam

The first one (burial) does not require any manthra or fire ritual
    The second one requires it.
    Who learned (veda) and practiced for fire ritual are undergoing to that type of samskara (with the help of their learned heirs)
    and who have not learned are undergoing to that type of samskara.

So, who have not undergone upanayanam are treated as not learned.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Sir, Your reply is quite informative and the immediate response encourages me to strive and improve my knowledge on these subject where I am very poor. It is said that Garuda Purana should be read only when we are observing mourning for the death of our beloved ones. Why is it so?

Comment

Originally posted by V. Balasubramani View Post
        Sir,
        It is said that Garuda Purana should be read only when we are observing mourning for the death of our beloved ones.
        Why is it so?
        Sri:
        There is no such condition or restriction found in shastras,
        but there is a custom like that.
        Because, mostly Garuda puranam speaks about the after death matters and papam and punyam,
        so reading of such purana will be relevant and it is used in the principle "Strike the iron when it is hot".

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
        please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
        Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
        Best Wishes and Best Regards,
        Dr.NVS

Comment

Sir, In our family and that of my close relatives the elders belonging to the previous generation seems to have been practised customs and tradition what was told, without knowing the purpose and meaning behind it. When we raise a question on some custom/tradion with a view to know the actual meaning, the answer is not mostly convincing. But now I find you are source with abundant knowledge on such issues and it is for us to make best use of you by shooting more questions. The idea is purely to quench the thirst for knowledge.I pray the Almighty to bless u with good health and happiness to keep answering us.

Comment

Working...
          X