X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We often hear one say " why are you sitting like Nadhi' blocking my view."

We often hear one say " why are you sitting like Nadhi' blocking my view."

Pl read this story, then you will understand

Patteeswaram is situated just 8 kms from Kumbakonam. Sri Durgai shrine is very popular here.

Originally Patteeswaram is known for the Shiva Temple called Sri Dhenupureeswarar temple located here. Goddess is Gnanambikai.

Patteeswaram got its name as, Patti, daughter (calf) of sacred cow Kamadhenu worshipped here. According to legend, Parasakthi wanted to perform Thapas and was trying to locate a peaceful place. She found this place and started her Thapas.

Knowing this, Kamadhenu, sent her daughter to be of help to Parasakthi during the Thapas. Lord Shiva, pleased with the Devi’s Thapas gave Dharshan to her here and assumed the name, Gabardeeswarar.

On seeing this, Patti who was helping Devi for her Thapas, also installed a Shiva Linga and started worshipping Lord Shiva here. Lord Shiva was pleased with her worship and blessed Patti here and hence the place got named after Patti as Patteeswaram.

Once, Thirugnaana Sambandar came walking down to Patteeswaram to have the dharshan of Lord Shiva. As it was hot summer, he was finding it difficult with scorching heat. Lord Shiva, realizing Sambandar’s pain, ordered his Bhoodha Ganas to hold a Muthu Pandhal (Umbrella woven with pearls) along the way to the temple, so that Sambandar can walk in the shadow.

Also Lord Shiva was too eager to see Sambandar. He was looking at the way to the temple from his Sanctum. As Nandhi was sitting in front of the Lord, he couldn’t view properly. And Lord Shiva ordered Nandhi to move a bit, so that his view is not obstructed and Nandhi obeyed. Sambandar with overwhelming joy, sung 10 hymns on Lord Shiva here.

Even today, one can see Nandhi facing a bit away from the Lord.

Hope you enjoyed this story.

Re: We often hear one say " why are you sitting like Nadhi' blocking my view."

Sir , It is really a nice story and i have enjoyed and now understand the meaning for the phrase thank you

Comment

Working...
    X