Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kannada Madhwa Brahmin's wedding rituals

Dear Swamin and members,
    Could you please give me how the marriage is conducted in the Kannada Madhwa Community? What are the differences from Tamil Iyer's wedding ceremony?There is a wedding between a Tamil er groom and a Kannada Madhwa Brahmin bride. Hence the question.
    I will be grateful for the information.
    Varadarajan

Re: Kannada Madhwa Brahmin's wedding rituals

Dear Mr. Varadharajan,

First of all Best Wishes and Prayers for the couple. There are many similarities and a few conflicts in the procedures followed between Madhwa and Iyer/Iyengar weddings. Firstly, you may have to discuss and agree on the conflict items since the similar items are easy to perform.

Primary differences are :
    1. Oonjal is not part of the wedding rituals
    2. Paaligai karaippu is not included (may be to add contrast between the sects, this ritual has been designated as to be avoided during Madhwa weddings and is applied for the opposite kind of event only!! Please discuss this item to avoid issues)
    3. Bride and Groom would sit on the stage during Maangalya dharanam compared to the Iyer style - Groom standing while tying the knot on the bride sitting on father's lap.
    4. No Nugathadi, No Naathanar mudichu (Groom ties all the three), Kannada madisaar (on the left side) in Yellow/Cream saree and red or black shade saree to be avoided (on the contrary, Iyer/Iyengar madisaar would be red/maroon shade).
    5. Instead of thirattippaal custom, it is just a hot water in kudam to be received by groom's sumangali woman and placed in their room.

I will detail the procedures in another reply. Just thought of highlighting the key ones.

Regards

Comment

Working...
    X