Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puniya Bhoomi-Bharatha Kantam

Puniya Bhoomi ..Bharatha Kantam

If there is any land on this earth that can lay claim to be the blessed Punya Bhumi, to be the land to which all souls on this earth must come to account for Karma, the land to which every soul that is wending its way Godward must come to attain its last home, the land where humanity has attained its highest towards gentleness, towards generosity, towards purity, towards calmness, above all, the land of introspection and of spirituality – it is India. Hence have started the founders of religions from the most ancient times, deluging the earth again and again with the pure and perennial waters of spiritual truth. Hence have proceeded the tidal waves of philosophy that have covered the earth, East or West, North or South, and hence again must start the wave which is going to spiritualise the material civilization of the world. Here is the life-giving water which must be quenched the burning fire of materialism which is burning the core of the hearts of millions in other lands. Believe me, my friends, this is going to be.
    • Swami Vivekananda
    (This is an excerpt from the book “I am a Voice without a Form”)

Bhāratavrsa is not an ordinary country. It is punya-bhūmi where Bhagavān comes.

Yada yada hi dharmasya
    Glanir bhavati bharata
    Abhyutthanam adharmasya
    Tadatmanam srjamy aham
    ~ Bhagavad Gita (Chapter IV-7)

Whenever and wherever there is decay
    of righteousness, O Bharata,
    And a rise of unrighteousness
    then I manifest Myself!

OR

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend Myself.

Bharat is Yogabhumi, the land of spirituality. Bharat is Punyabhumi, the sacred land. Bharat is Karmabhumi, the land of sacred activity. Bharat is Tyagabhumi, the land of renunciation. Here saints, sages, seers, aspirants, seekers and devotees pray to God to enjoy His proximity. This necessitates the descent of God in human form or incarnation. In response to their fervent appeals and prayers, God, out of His grace and compassion, descends on earth or incarnates and moves amidst us. Devotees, then, experience bliss and follow Him

In the very name "Bharat" we have three letters. (Written in Telugu, "Bharat" comprises three letters). Bha, the first letter stands for bhava or feeling, ra, the second signifies raga, tune, or melody, and ta, the third indicates tala or beat. Thus, Bharat is the country where the glory of God is sung with bhava, raga and tala. This country has another name Hindu Desam which means a country that shuns violence, `Him' - himsa or violence, ` du ' du ra or shuns. For these reasons God has chosen to incarnate or descend in human form in Bharat.

Bharat is the spiritual centre of the world. This is the country that practiced, preached and propagated that divinity exists in all the living and the nonliving, right from an atom to the entire cosmos. You will notice that here, in this country, putta, anthill, gutta, mountain, chettu, tree and pitta, bird are objects of veneration and worship. An anthill is worshipped as the abode of Lord Subrahmanya, a bird is respected as the vehicle of Lord Vishnu, a mountain is spiritually important as it is viewed as Govardhana lifted by Lord Krishna, and a tree is worshipped.

All objects are divine according to our scriptures. This is not superstition. This is not in any way blind faith. Sanathana Dharma wants us to view, feel, and experience divinity everywhere. This is the spiritual path. This is the highest and noblest experience.

Although many people referred to Bharat/Hindustan/India as Punya Bhumi or Holy Land, it was Damodar Savarkar who articulated it clearly and forcefully in his work The Essentials of Hindutva (1923).

Unlike the West, the Hindu nation is bound together by the bond of Dharma, which is simultaneously other worldly and this worldly. Material values and day to day living are Punya when suffused with Dharma. Being secular in a truly Hindu /Dharmic way is therefore possible in a Dharmic society which does not reject the concrete dimensions and problems of living. One does not have to reject the world.

Today, India, after the many vicissitudes of history, is still vibrant. It has now incorporated some important values of modern secularism and in that sense has returned to the Dharmic values of the Veda. Hindus have a Punya Bhumi which draws the devotion of all Indians to Dharmic values. These can be summed up briefly as: the equality and unity of all beings, the ethical values of love and compassion, the respect for Earth and all living creation.

Just think for a moment; why Mother Teresa came to India to serve when there are ever so many poor nations? Because this land India is Punya Bhoomi

Sources : From various sites

(This post is for sharing only, no intention to violate any copy rights)
Working...
X