Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Listening 'Mantra' gives the same effect as Chanting 'Mantra' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Listening 'Mantra' gives the same effect as Chanting 'Mantra' ?

Does Listening 'Mantra' gives the same Effect as Chanting 'Mantra' ?

Mantra (मंत्र) means a self advise.

Mananat trayate iti mantrah‘ is how Mantra is defined in Sanskrit.
    It means that by repetition (mananat) of which, you overcome/protected (trayate) [overcoming or protection from bondage/troubles/cycles of birth and death] is (iti) called Mantra.

No, listening does not have the same effect as chanting. Listening is a step only, Because when you listen, you are usually doing other things. So you are just keeping the mantra on the back of your mind. You are not giving full attention. When chanting, you are trying to put a lot of attention on the mantra. This helps to sublimate your mind. While Meditating, you are trying to put complete attention to the mantra.

It is a sacred utterance, numinous sound, or a syllable, word, phonemes, or group of words set in an order to produce certain vibration in atmosphere, which gives the desired effect to the person who practices it with concentration.

There are many mantras like Narayana Ashtakshari, Siva Panchakshari, Gayatri Mantra etc and each mantra is very profound and carries immense amount of knowledge

Chanting helps in focusing concentration and improves breathe system of the body and the associated vibration acts as a positive points to the immune system. Listening needs more attention for achieving body and mind synchronization.

In the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, Yajnavalkya say to his wife Maitreyi that there are three steps - hearing (sravanam), reflecting (mananam), and meditating (nididhyasanam). These three steps have been echoed by all the commentators.

As Swami Vivekananda has pointed out, one does not learn chemistry by repeating the word 'chemistry'; one has to go into a lab, mix chemicals together and burn yourself a few times to learn chemistry. Physical, mental, ethical, and spiritual disciplines must be exercised. Listening is a good first step, but it is only a first step. What good will come of listening if your mind is running uncontrolled on worldly matters at the same time?

(Supreme love is attained) by uninterrupted and constant worship of God.

By hearing of and singing the glory of the Lord, even while engaged in the ordinary activities of life.
    Narada says this repeatedly throughout the Bhakti Sutras - not only hearing but also speaking.
    Patanjali says in his Yoga Aphorisms I. 28. (Swami Vivekananda translator):
    The repetition of this (Om) and meditating on its meaning (is the way).

So why is hearing not the same - not as effective - as praising, or chanting, or repetition?

Krishna says in Gita 9.34:

Fix your mind on Me, be devoted to Me, sacrifice to Me, bow down to Me. Having thus disciplined yourself, and regarding Me as the Supreme Goal, you will come to Me.

All schools of the Vedanta stress the repetition of the name of God. If you want to have your mind fixed on God it is only through your own practice. There is no shortcut.

Nowadays one can hear Mantra Tunes in Cell Phones. Will it have the same effect as one Chanting the same Mantra with Concentration and devotion?

Mantras used as weapons and for destruction or self-protection

Ancient Vedic scripts are full of descriptions of weapons being called by mantra. For example, many weapons were invoked by mantra during the epic Kuruksetra War in Mahabharata.

Nuclear weapons like Brahmastra, Guided missiles like Vayuvyastra, Pasupatastra, Narayanastra etc were evoked and energized through mantras.

One Clinical Test of the Benefits of Mantra Chanting was performed on 3 groups of 62 subjects, males and females of average age 25.

They chanted the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra twenty-five minutes every day under strict clinical supervision.

Results showed that regular chanting of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra (Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare) reduces Stress and depression and helps reduce bad habits & addictions. These results formed a PhD Thesis at Florida State University.

No wonder why Hare Krishna mantra is regarded as the best to control ill-effects of Kali Yuga (present epoch).

‘In a Disco, your Mind makes you Dance, In a silent meditation, you Make your Mind to Dance’

hinduism.stackexchange
    : mantra-sastra/mantras-science-sound-vibration

and other sites

This post is for sharing knowledge only, no intention to violate any copy rights
Working...
X