Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY TWO CENTS

"My two cents"

"My two cents" ("my 2¢") and its longer version "put my two cents in" is an American idiomatic expression, taken from the original English idiom "to put in my two penny worth" or "my two-cents." It is used to preface the tentative statement of one’s opinion.

The idiomatic usage of a phrase depends a lot on the shared cultural context that is not apparent from the actual text.

Why not use : "my two paisa" instead of "my 2 Cents "?

"my two paisa" will be unintelligible to a lot of outsiders. Now you can argue that we can use cents with foreigners and paisa with Indians. Which some people do use in some cases for additional emphasis. So no hard and fast rules there.

Consider a related example from Hindi. "Solah aane sach" means "absolutely true". Literal meaning is "sixteen aanas truth". The phrase comes from the time when Indian rupee was divided into 16 aanas and not 100 paisas.

But if you were to update it to "sau paise sach", at best, it sounds awkward and you are likely to get confused stares.

Now languages do change. Phrases fall out of use and new phrases take their place.

Source: en.wikipedia.

quora

THIS POST IS FOR SHARING KNOWLEDGE ONLY< NO INTENTION TO VIOLATE ANY COPY RIGHTS
Working...
X