Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDIBLE SPOONS

Edible Spoons

Exasperated with the blatant use of plastic while handling food, entrepreneur Narayana Peesapathy came up with a unique alternative to stop this practice

"About 120 billion pieces of disposable plastic cutlery are discarded in India every year," says the founder of Bakeys Food Pvt Ltd. "Plastic contains chemicals that can seep into food or beverages and cause cancer. My target thus is to eliminate plastic completely from our food," he says.

Cultivating a new taste

Founded in 2011 in Hyderabad, Bakeys attempts to provide an alternative to plastic cutlery, making a humble beginning with edible spoons. After much research, Peesapathy created the first batch primarily using millets and some commonly available spices.

"In addition to reducing the use of plastic, I wanted to understand how Jowar (a type of millet) can be promoted as an alternative to rice, which is more taxing on natural resources like water. In comparison, Jowar consumes only a quarter of the water used for rice cultivation, is easy to grow and has good nutrient value," says Peesapathy. "Jowar-based rotis are hard and course in texture. This pushed me to work on an organic spoon made of food as an alternative to plastic ones and at the same time, promote a market for millets and motivate farmers to move away from rice," he added.

Sugar, spice & all things nice

Bakeys edible spoons are 100 percent natural and do not contain artificial preservatives. It is prepared with millets, which is blended with other grains and then baked. "We first mix the spices and flour and knead them together with water," says Sarita, 29, who has been working at the manufacturing facility in Hyderabad for over two years. "The dough is then sent to a rolling machine, from where they are collected and baked inside an oven. It takes 3-5 minutes to make a set of 100 to 500 spoons," she says.

m.economictimes

This post is for sharing knowledge only, no intention to violate any copy rights
Working...
X