Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAVAVIDHA BHAKTHI

“Navavidha Bhakti”

Lord Shri Krishna makes a beautiful statement about the significance of bhakti or devotion in chapter 18 of the Bhagavad-Gita as:

bhaktya maam abhijaanaati yaavaan yas chasmi
    tattvataha tato maam tattvato jnaatva vishate tad-anantaram
    (Bhagavad Gita 18.55)

“By devotion he knows Me in truth, what and who I am; and knowing Me in truth, he forthwith enters into the Supreme.”

In the 9th chapter Shri Krishna highlights the profoundness of true bhakti which pleases Him the most as:

patram pushpam phalam toyam yo me bhaktya prayacchati
    tad aham bhakty-upahrtam asnami prayataatmanaha
    (Bhagavad Gita 9.26)

“Whoever offers Me with devotion and a pure mind (heart), a leaf, a flower, a fruit or a little water—I accept this as devotion.”

Samo’ham sarvabhooteshu na me dweshyo’sti na priyah
    Ye bhajanti tu maam bhaktyaa mayi te teshu chaapyaha
    (Bhagavad Gita 9.29)

“The same am I to all beings; to Me there is none hateful or dear; but those who worship Me with devotion are in Me and I am also in them.”

Yona hrishyati na dweshti na shochati na kaangkshati
    Shubhaashubhaparityaagee bhaktimaan yah sa me priyah
    (Bhagavad Gita 12.17)

“He who neither rejoices, nor hates, nor grieves, nor desires, renouncing good and evil and who is full of devotion, is dear to Me.”

“He who neither rejoices, nor hates, nor grieves, nor desires, renouncing good and evil and who is full of devotion, is dear to Me.”

Tulyanindaastutirmaunee santushto yena kenachit
    Aniketah sthiramatir bhaktimaan me priyo narah
    (Bhagavad Gita 12.19)

“He to whom censure and praise are equal, who is silent, content with anything, of a steady mind, and full of devotion—that man is dear to Me.”

The above slokas describe how even the tiniest of gestures in the name of devotion and love for the lord, can be a transforming experience.When God is understood and realized through the process of bhakti the person becomes realized and enters the state of self-realisation.

Srimad Bhagavatham elaborates nine forms of bhakti which, if cultivated and practiced regularly will no doubt lead us closer to the lord: shravanam, kirtanam, vishnoh smaranam, paada-sevanam, archanam, vandanam, daasyam, sakhyam, aatma-nivedanam (Srimad Bhagavatham 7.5.23).

The nine forms of devotion are:

1. Shravanam – Hearing the names and glories of the Lord
    2. Keertanam – Chanting His glories
    3. Smaranam – Remembering the Lord
    4. Paada sevanam – Serving the Lord’s feet
    5. Archanam – Worshiping the Lord
    6. Vandanam – Offering obeisance unto the Lord
    7. Daasyam – Serving the Lord as His servant
    8. Sakhyam – Developing friendship with the Lord
    9. Aatma Nivedanam – Total surrender of oneself to the Lord

Also in the Bhagavata purana verse 6.3.29, Yamaraj tells his assistants to bring to him those sinful persons who do not bow down to the Lord even once. (krishnaaya no namati yac-chira ekadaapi)

Source: divyapracharam.wordpress

This post is for sharing knowledge only, no intention to violate any copy rights
Working...
X