X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Rich?

Who is Rich?

-Translated from a discourse given by Sant Shri Asaramji Bapu

Once Ravindranath Tagore went to Japan. He gave discourses on his book Geetanjali for ten days from 6 PM to 7 PM everyday. An old man used to come to attend his discourses everyday. He used to garland him with roses very humbly. He used to reach there much before the discourse time and used to get up after Rabindranath Tagore used to get up - his behavior was very down to earth. He used to listen to each and every word of the discourse and tried to apply that in his life. Dressed in very simple clothes, that old man was highly impressed with Ravindranath Tagore.

After Ravindranath used to complete his discourse many people used to touch his feet to show their gratitude everyday.

That old man used to bow in front of Tagore everyday.
    After the last discourse was over, people offered gold coins, money, fruits, flowers etc at the feet of Tagore. That old man requested Tagore and said:

"Please pay a visit to my home tomorrow. I'll be grateful."

Rabindranath Tagore was already very pleased with the devotion and dedication of the old man and therefore accepted his invitation. The eyes of the old man were filled with tears of joy when Tagore accepted his invitation.

Tagore told his assistant that the old man is very emotional and he should see that he does not spend beyond his capacity to make preparations and also he should give 200 Yen to his kids.

The old man got a Rolls Royce car sharp at 3:45 PM at the door of Tagore's guest room. Tagore had told him that he would go to his house at four in the evening. They smoothly drove in that car to a huge mansion on top of a hill. The watchman saluted and opened the main gate. As they entered the gates Tagore saw many gentlemen and women welcoming his arrival. They took him inside. They made him sit on a chair made of gold with silken cushions. They served several rich eatables in 200 dishes made of gold and silver. The members of the family worshipped Tagore and sat at his feet.

Ravindranath was astonished with all this. He said: "Where have you brought me? Take me to your home. Why have you brought me to this mansion?"

The old man dressed in simple clothes said: "Oh Saint! This is my house. That Rolls Royce car is all mines and I have five more of these cars. There are two chairs made of gold. All these people who are bowing in front of you are my sons, grandsons and great grandsons. She is the mother of my sons. And they are my daughter-in- laws. Swamiji! I have two factories. “

Oh! You are so rich and still you used to be dressed in such simple clothes when you used to come to attend the discourses."

"Oh Saint! I believe that material richness and physical appearance do not reflect the real personality. It is foolish to feel proud of the money that cannot buy the richness of the soul. One never knows when that money will be lost. Also he who keeps guarding this material richness and does not bother about the precious richness of soul is really careless. The material richness has no use beyond this world.

Oh Saint! What is the value of this material richness as compared to the richness of true knowledge and devotion? The former is just making me labor hard but the richness that you have given me is giving me the real happiness. It is the true knowledge of soul which is protecting me. I'm grateful to you for the rest of my life. I spent whole of my life in collecting that money which could not give me peace and happiness but each hour of yours showed me the light. I wore simple clothes because I was a beggar at your gate waiting to get the richness of soul from you. Oh Lord! I'm obliged!"

Ravindranath’s heart was filled with happiness. Where there is respect for true knowledge, there is respect for life. Even the material richness stays at places where there is respect for the words of saints.

Ravindranath said: "Oh rich man! You are not attached to material richness and have respect for the richness of soul that is why you are rich in real sense. I'm also grateful today. After meeting a devotee like you even I feel that my discourses served the purpose.
    People keep asking for material comforts and waste the precious time wherever I go. But you are wise. You do not ask for material wealth and still God is giving that to you. He sent me to quench your thirst for true knowledge."

The one who is not attached to his wealth, and surrenders his ego at the feet of the great saints after listening to the divine words about the Great God is in real sense considered as rich.

http://www.ashram.org/bsk/Home/Detai...=3223&SkinSrc=[G]Skins%2F_default%2FNo+Skin&ContainerSrc=[G]Containers%2F_default%2FNo+Container
    Last edited by Padmanabhan.J; 25-11-12, 12:28.
Working...
X