Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolerance

Tolerance

In his epochal address at the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago on Sep 11, 1893, Swamiji Vivekananda , as he was fondly called by thousands of followers, had said: “I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught the world both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal toleration, but we accept all religions as true.”

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100167303.html

Certain hallmarks of Hinduism are seen in the Atharva Veda.

The spirit of tolerance, co-existence, compromise and a sympathetic understanding of other points of view are all present. Even today Hinduism is an inclusive religion that accepts that there are other ways to reach God.

In Bhagvat Gita, Lord Krishna, too extolled tolerance:' my face is equal to all creations’ meaning as the people worship in any from I take care of them as if they have devoted me and bless them from the deity they have prayed.

Pinnacle of Tolerance

A Story Told by Kunju Swami about Sri.Ramanamaharishi, For this great Saint there is no limit to tolerance; Pl read the story;

There was a man from the state of Kerala who had written a biography of Sri Ramana Maharshi in Malayalam (that state’s regional language). Before sending the manuscript to press he decided to visit the Ashram and have it read aloud before Bhagavan.

Because Kunju Swami was born in Kerala and spoke fluent Malayalam, Bhagavan asked him to read the manuscript aloud, and also to look after the author’s needs during his visit. As Kunju Swami began reading, he could not believe what was written.

The book stated that Maharshi was married and was the father of several children, and that one day, while living in the South Indian town of Madurai, he closed his eyes and was somehow magically transported to the Arunachala Hill. The book went on like this, containing many fictional accounts.

After the reading took place, the author had to leave quickly in order to catch a train back home. Maharshi was very gracious to him and asked Kunju Swami to be sure he had something to eat before leaving, and see to it that he reached the train station on time.

After seeing off the visitor, Kunju Swami hurried back to the Ashram, anxious to hear what Bhagavan thought of this highly exaggerated manuscript, which was about to go to press.

Back at the Old Hall, he found Ramana Maharshi quietly attending to some small chore, completely unconcerned about anything else. Kunju Swami waited as patiently as he could, wondering if Maharshi might raise the subject. But he just quietly chatted with those present and sat silently.

Finally, Kunju Swami could not contain himself any longer and asked: “Bhagavan, how could you allow this book to get printed? It is full of inaccuracies. In fact, most of it is untrue.”

Bhagavan looked at Kunju Swami for a moment then replied: “Oh, I see. You mean only this is untrue, and everything else is true?”

The book was never printed!

For Ramana Maharishi, there is no limit of Tolerance

http://www.kheper.net/topics/gurus/Ramana-response_to_criticism.html
Working...
X