Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Remedy

The man was a miser of all misers!

He was ofcourse a wealthy man - but would not spend a penny. He had come for Periva's darshan.

With his right hand over his mouth, he started to speak emotionally.

I have blood pressure and diabetes for a long time. Now, I have been diagonised with cancer too. I am suffering a lot. Periva must please suggest a parikaram (remedy).

"Will you do as I say", asked Periva.

"Certainly", said the man.

"It might be difficult...".

"Never mind. I want to just get rid of these diseases. I will do whatever Periva instructs. All I want is to be cured of this BP, diabetes and cancer......", saying this, he wiped his eyes.

Generally, Periva had compassion towards everyone for no reason at all, and now, this man was in tears. Can Periva let him down?

Periva said,

"In the well, there is water. But the well never drinks up the water claiming ownership over it".

Trees bear fruits, but it never says 'this fruit belongs to me. I will only eat it".

"The cow gives milk, but never drinks up its own milk. Several trees and plants yield vegetables, but they keep nothing for themselves".

"As you can see, plants and animals themselves are doing so much paropagaaram (service to others). They say Man has got six senses. So, how much more paropagaaram must he do?

"You have lot of money - but you are neither spending it for yourself, nor are you doing any dharma (good deeds) from it. The sins from your last birth have befallen on you in the form of diseases. If you have to get rid of the sins, you must do a lot of good deeds".

"Have you heard about the dharmam called 'Ishta Purtham?'. Money must be spent in good deeds like digging a well, temple renovation, helping the poor, helping relatives, etc. Also, buy medicines for poor orphans who are sick. When someone asks for something, he must not go empty handed. Is this all clear?"

"You are only a Trustee for the wealth you possess. Never think that you are its owner".

The man started weeping uncontrollably..."

He lived for many years thereafter doing a lot of dharma.

Re: The Remedy

Paraopakaram Idam Sariram;
    Paropakaraya punyaya papaya parapeedanam - smrithi.

underlying current in the anecdote - well driven point by Periyava for all the misers around.

Comment

Working...
    X