Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KANU PIDI

KANU PIDI

Brahmins women Celebrate Kanum Pongal by observing Kanu Pidi for the welfare of their brothers

"KakaipidivachenKannupidivachen, Kakka Kootam Kalanchalum Enga Kootam Kalayama Irukkanum"

Kanu Pidi - How and Why ?
    In a open place put a kolam in east direction. Wash the turmeric leaves and place it over the kolam. We have to keep upto four rices on the leaves.
    1. White rice prepared on the previous day (pongal day)
    2. Sarkarai pongal prepared on the previous day (pongal day)
    3. Prepare red color rice by mixing small quantity of rice with kumkum.
    4. The same way prepare yellow rice by mixing small quantity of rice with turmeric powder.

Take 4 pieces of sugarcane. Place these colored rice and sugarcane pieces in small quantities in the turmeric leaves placed above the kolam.

We have to say the following phrases while keeping the coloured rice in leaves
    "KakaipidivachenKannupidivachen, Kakka Kootam Kalanchalum Enga Kootam Kalayama Irukkanum"

After chanting this we have to break a coconut, place it in a plate having beetle leaves and beetle seeds along with 2 bananas. We have to show aarthi around the turmeric leaves and we should pray for our brothers.

We have to make sure the rice kept in leaves should be eaten only by crow and not by any other animals like Dogs.

This day is also celebrated as KANUM PONGAL

Kaanum literally means ‘to see’ and is the fourth day of the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. As the name indicates, Kaanum Pongal is essentially a day of relaxation and socializing and people either visit relatives or go out on a picnic.
    Last edited by Padmanabhan.J; 04-01-13, 01:37.

Re: KANU PIDI

Sri:
    Dear Sri Padmanabhan Sir,
    You are doing a wonderful service to this forum and the community tirelessly.
    Kindly accept my "shAshtAnga namaskAram" for your great efforts and valuable postings.
    Very few people only acknowledging your valuable postings.

Kindly go through my below humble request:
    Your contents should reach lot of people, surfers.
    It is highly possible by doing a simple work in addition to your post.

You might have watched the term "Tags" under every new thread posting.
    You should fill that with suitable tags about the content.
    You could easily understand about "Tag" which is usually pinned at the top of a bag with clue about the contents in that.
    Likely here tag is nothing but few key words about the contents, by which users search the net.
    These tags will be stored in the data bases of search engines with proper urls,
    so that, if a person searching with any or many of the keywords as found in our post
    our site will be listed in that search engine, so, that we could get lot of new visitors.
    Sorry for troubling you. Below I added few tags for your above post for example:

Tags added for the Thread "KANU PIDI": (Title should be Eye Catching).
    Kanu Pidi - How and Why,Kakaipidivachen,Kannupidivachen

Tags can be added even after submitted the thread by using the thread tools.
    best regards,
    nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Dear Sir

Thanks fyour wonderful guidance.
      Regards

Padmanabhan.J

Comment

Sri:
        Thank you sir,
        Also let me know your feedback about the following:
        I have changed the line spacing from 100% to 170% and
        the size of the font is increased about 20% .
        Is it OK?
        How you feel about the new look of the contents?
        I felt some messed up look previously, so, I changed.

Also, I wish to get the feedbacks from other members like: Sri.Brahmanyan, Mr.Varadarajan, Priya Rathi, Krishnamma, soundararajan etc.
        Please feel free to post your feedbacks.
        regards,
        nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
        please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
        Dr.NVS

Comment

DearPadmanabhanji,
          NVS Swamin is absolutely right. Your postings do a lot in promoting understanding of our rituals by the Gen Next.They will come to know the reasons behind our millennia old rituals/practices.
          Please continue your good work,Sir, and may God give you more energy to continue your good efforts.
          Thanking you on behalf of the members,
          Varadarajan

Comment

Re: KANU PIDI- NVS's revised format

Dear NVS Sir,
            Your revised format gives the post more clarity and look.
            And about posts,nothing need be said except that you are doing a wonderful service to our Brahmin community as a whole.I ONLY WISH THAT MORE AND MORE PEOPLE BECOME MEMBERS and those who are already in, to be more active by posting or offering their views on the posts.Constructive criticism is fine where necessary,if need be.
            By this we will be more motivated to contribute. Sri Padmanabhan is doing a colossal work. Kudos to him.
            I wish that this site grows more and more.
            With best wishes,
            Varadarajan

Comment

Sri:
              Dear Sri Varadarajan Sir,
              thanks for your compliments and feedback.

After the dedicated postings of Sri.Padmanabhan I feel lot of freedom
              to undertake my other commitments.

Really our forum is growing fastly,
              nearly within 500 days we have got more than 5000 registered members
              and our sites active members ratio also found high when comparing with other sites.

Also, I found minimum 15 guests are surfing the site round the clock.
              But contribution from members are very less, due to dry subjects and
              many are hesitating to post in such a forum where lot of learned members are contributing.
              We have to encourage them by adding personal attentions with their names in some posts.

OK,
              I request all members to post their feedback often.
              Please use the Social Sharing buttons as much as you can to bring lot of visitors who will be our future members.
              Also, there are lot of bbcodes to enhance your postings, use them by having a glance at how to use bbcodes given below.
              For example to give kudos to sri Padmanabhan (you should know his email ID)

Click & Send Email to this person

Best wishes,
              Best regards,
              nvs

Dr.NVS

Comment

Respected NVS Sir and Sri.Varadarajan Sir

NVS Sir, your new format is wonderful; some time, if keep idle for about 15 minutes or so , gets disconnected, i have to log in once again.

Reg " Tag" advice, i am reluctant to do as most of my postings are only from other sources;i also give the source links wherever possible.

Sri. varadarajan Sir,
                Thanks, as i am already nearing 74, i do not wish to keep my mind idle, i spent time in net, and whatever interests me, i post it here; it might not be interesting to younger generation.

Comment

Sri:
                  Dear Sri Varadarajan Sir,
                  thanks for your compliments and feedback.

After the dedicated postings of Sri.Padmanabhan I feel lot of freedom
                  to undertake my other commitments.

Really our forum is growing fastly,
                  nearly within 500 days we have got more than 5000 registered members
                  and our sites active members ratio also found high when comparing with other sites.

Also, I found minimum 15 guests are surfing the site round the clock.
                  But contribution from members are very less, due to dry subjects and
                  many are hesitating to post in such a forum where lot of learned members are contributing.
                  We have to encourage them by adding personal attentions with their names in some posts.

OK,
                  I request all members to post their feedback often.
                  Please use the Social Sharing buttons as much as you can to bring lot of visitors who will be our future members.
                  Also, there are lot of bbcodes to enhance your postings, use them by having a glance at how to use bbcodes given below.
                  For example to give kudos to sri Padmanabhan (you should know his email ID)

Click & Send Email to this person

Best wishes,
                  Best regards,
                  nvs

Dr.NVS

Comment

Originally posted by Padmanabhan.J View Post
                    Respected NVS Sir and Sri.Varadarajan Sir

NVS Sir, your new format is wonderful; some time, if keep idle for about 15 minutes or so , gets disconnected, i have to log in once again.

Reg " Tag" advice, i am reluctant to do as most of my postings are only from other sources;i also give the source links wherever possible.
                    Thanks,
                    Session out time is kept as 15 minutes now it is changed to 30 minutes. Also you can overcome this by using the
                    'remember me' option before log in this forum and saving the password in your browser, by which you can re log in
                    the forum by just refreshing the browser for every 30 minutes if required.

Regarding 'Tag', no need to feel guilty to use tags if courtesy statement is given,
                    without tags the needy can not reach the content easily. (Random readers at a glance may surf )
                    Most of the contents are viewed only by search engines. Even our members also returning to our forum
                    by accidentally finding our site link in search engines after a long break.
                    Regs,
                    nvs

Dr.NVS

Comment

Dear Padmanabhan swamy,

I have been regularly reading all the threads that you post and learning so much from them. But, I must apologize because I have not actively posted my feedback or thanks in most threads. As NVS mama has pointed out, it is a big mistake on my part but, I thank you for tirelessly posting even when there is not much feedback or encouragement from the readers. It is very gracious of you to do so. I will try to rectify my ways in the new year.

As a follow up to the post on Kanu pidi, I have a question - please clear my doubt. Since it is a prayer for their brothers welfare, is it customary for women to go to their parents / brothers home for this occasion? I have seen my mother always do kanu pidi at our home and also go to her brother's home (my grandparents lived there) and do it once more on the same day. Is that the general custom followed in all the families?

Once again, I thank you very much for your untiring service!

Padhma

Comment

Working...
                      X