• Periya Koil

Tanjore Periya Koil

Click image for larger version

Name:	Periya Koil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	34302

Tanjore Brihadeeswarar Temple

The Periya Koil or 'Big Temple' as Brihadeeswara temple is known turns 1000 years. Showcasing pure Dravidian architecture, the temple was built in the Chola capital of Tanjavur under the aegis of the Chola king Rajaraja Chola in 1010 A.D. Designed by Sama Varma, the architecture of Brihadeeswara temple is unique in that the temple casts no shadows on the ground at noon during any time of the year.
    Read more from the Links below

http://temples.tamilnad.com/Tanjore/Brihadeeswarar_Temple/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadeeswarar_Temple

Re: Periya Koil

Dear Sri Padmanabhan,

Sri Brahadeeswarar Temple, popularly known as Thanjai Periakoil is an architectural marvel. It has set many records
    in Temple architecture in Tamil Nadu. I have seen this wonderful Temple number of times from my school days. I have seen the inside architectural details and ancient murals in the mighty Gupuram. ASI has brought out two booklets on this Temple. But one person has done research on this temple and brought out a book containing authentic information. He is Dr. Kudavayil Balasubramanian.

The Hindu has reviewed his book ‘Rajarajechcharam.' and it says:
    Dr. Kudavayil Balasubramanian's book on the Big Temple, titled ‘Rajarajechcharam.' The book is the result of his 40-year obsession with the Big Temple. The book records details about the architecture, sculptures, art, inscriptions, history of and philosophy behind the temple.
    for the full review please open the following weblink:
    The Hindu : Friday Review Chennai / Heritage : Voyage of discovery
    I would suggest you to get this book to get interesting details on this Temple.

Regards,
    Brahmanyan,
    Bangalore.

Comment

Working...
    X