Genes and human disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genes and human disease

Recently my younger sister died due to a Type of Cancer which in general term known as Blood Cancer;Blood cancer is a form of cancer which attacks the blood, bone marrow, or lymphatic system. There are three kinds of blood cancer: leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma.

She was a very pious lady an I was wondering how such a disease could come to her?

Genes and noncommunicable diseases

Most diseases involve many genes in complex interactions, in addition to environmental influences. An individual may not be born with a disease but may be at high risk of acquiring it. This is called as genetic predisposition or susceptibility. The genetic susceptibility to a particular disease due to the presence of one or more gene mutations, and/or a combination of alleles need not necessarily be abnormal.

WHO's department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH) has done extensive work on major noncommunicable diseases, like cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, asthma, and some mental illnesses. In some cases, such as cancer, individuals are born with genes that are altered by lifestyle habits or exposure to chemicals.

Cancer, for example, may involve tumour-suppressor genes, genes which suppress tumour formation, which lose their function, thus giving rise to carcinomas. Cardiovascular disease tends to manifest itself in specific ways unique to various communities. For example, African communities tend to have strokes as a result of cardiovascular disease, while south asians tend to have heart attacks.

Please Read more about it here:http://www.who.int/genomics/public/g...en/index3.html

The best way to protect from these types of Diseases is to take Medicare as soon as the Symptoms are revealed; there is no question of waiting and the Disease might grow into uncontrollable stage.

This is my sincere suggestion to all of you, please never ignore any indication of such dreadful disease at the beginning itself.

Most of our Brahmin old ladies do not tell their health problems to their near and dear ones thinking why should I be the reason for more expenses; this thinking should change and our elder women should be wise enough to tell their health problems as soon as they feel a symptom of it so that Cure is possible.
    Postponing this will ultimately end up in incurring huge Medical expenses as well mental agony for the dear ones.
    Last edited by Padmanabhan.J; 26-05-13, 05:22.
Working...
X