Clear All

• What is SHANKHA(Conch)?

What is SHANKHA(Conch)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shankha.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	34654
    A SHANKHA (conch) is a natural cover/wrapper of an oceanic worm/creature that protect him from the out side attacks/dangers, and when the worm grows up he come out from it and he throw away it forever.

Source; Mantras&Slokas

Re: What is SHANKHA(Conch)?

With all due respects Sri.Padmanabhan, we write to inculcate knowledge and better understanding of our CULTURE, "Bharatiya Samskruti"
    It is not some thing we write for the sake of writing, it must have meaningful information for our youngsters and draw them to respect and follow our traditions and belief.
    This work on Shanka , lacks credible information on conches and does not include any religious significance.
    May I request you to do some research on the topics you write before you put them down.
    I should be writing some thing about the different aspects of Shanka (Conch) to my knowledge and belief. There is no doubt that a Knowledge about Shanka is needed for our youngsters and more so about its CHIRALITY, Right handed and left handed nature (Idampuri and valampuri) of Shsanka.
    Forgive me if I have exceeded my limit. I AM A 64 YEARS OLD Teacher who believes in the accuracy of the information we give. May Kamakshi bless you to write more.

Comment

ramanan Sir

Thanks for your post.

Here some more information about the Significance of Shankha.

Shankha

This is one of the most important emblems of Vishnu. The blowing of
      the conch symbolizes the primordial creative voice and Indian
      mysticism links it to the sacred sound OM, which is said to be the
      breath of Vishnu, pervading all space.

Its convolutions are variously suggested as the rising and setting
      sun, hence further cementing Vishnu's solar associations.

The conch has the form of a multiple spiral evolving from one point
      into ever-increasing spheres. It thus denotes eternity, since it may
      go on forever.

It is pure white in colour, symbolising the epitome of Sattva guNam, of unalloyed goodness.

Srimad Bhagavatam in relation to
      'Cosmic Conch':
      Chapter 11: Lord Krishna's Entrance into Dvaraka:

SB 1.11.2: The white and fat-boweled conchshell, being gripped by the reddish
      hand of Lord Krishna and sounded by Him,
      appeared to be reddened more by the
      touch of His transcendental lips.
      It seemed that a white swan was playing in the
      stems of red lotus flowers.

In Indian mythology, the Shankha is regarded sacred and very auspicious. To initiate religious ceremonies, a shankha (conch shell) is blown. It is a major Hindu article of prayer. God Vishnu, the God of Preservation, is shown with a shankha in one hand and a disc or a chakra in the other.

Scientific significance

Leaving aside the mythology part, the conch shell's significance can also be corroborated by science. If you try holding a shankha near your ear, the sound of the gently humming ocean can be heard. This is actually the natural vibration or cosmic energy of the Earth which gets magnified on entering the conch shell.

The vibrations from these conch shells can overpower evil forces from the Earth and at the same time also clear environmental pollution including healing the hole in the ozone layer which causes global warming. According to science, the blowing of a conch shell enhances the positive psychological vibrations such as courage, determination, hope, optimism, willpower, etc. in the blower as well as those around him.

There are many types of Shankhas which are considered very sacred and pure in Hinduism :

Please go through the links given beow to read more about them;

Each hindu shankha has a specific name. Lord Krishna's shankha is called "Panchajanya" . It is believed that when it is blown, it announces the victory of good over evil. In the epic war, Mahabharata, the conch shell held a significant place. Arjuna's shankha was called "Devdutta" , Bhima's "Paundra", Yudhisthira's "Anantavijaya", Nakula's "Sughosa" and Sahadeva's was known as "Manipushpaka".

2) Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 1, Verse 15:

'pancajanyam hrsikeso
      devadattam dhananjayah
      paundram dadhmau maha-sankham
      bhima-karma vrkodarah'

Then, Lord Krishna blew His conchshell, called Pancajanya; Arjuna blew his, the Devadatta; and Bhima, the voracious eater and performer of Herculean tasks, blew his terrific conchshell called Paundram.

King Yudhisthira, the son of Kunti, blew his conch shell, the Ananta-vijaya, and Nakula and Sahadeva blew the Sughosa and Manipuspaka.

That great archer the King of Kasi, the great fighter Sikhandi, Dhrstadyumna, Virata and the unconquerable Satyaki, Drupada, the sons of Draupadi, and the others, O King, such as the son of Subhadra, greatly armed, all blew their respective conch shells; but in the army of Duryodhana there are no famous conch shells with any names.

http://www.asitis.com/1/15.html
      http://www.religiousportal.com/SacredShankha.html
      http://gaudiyadiscussions.com/topic_3675.html
      http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-01-16.html

There are Many more sites to find more info about Counch Shell.

Comment

Sri ramanan Sir

Since you are going to write more about Shangha ,( (Idampuri and valampuri) i did not touch that part.
        Kindly share your knowledge in every field with members as you are a Teacher by Profession.

Regards

Padmanabhan.J

Comment

ramanan Sir

Here what ever is posted is a starting point which may contain little information about the subject or elaborate information of the subject; That is the reason it is called" THREAD" so that members can pick up the Thread, start adding more Threads increasing the length of the thread!! That is how it works.

For example I have posted a Thread " 'Sishya Papam, Gurum Vrajet' and you may not agree/ or you may be having more information/knowledge to share about that subject.
          You can very well contribute your knowledge about that subject and increase the Thread's length.

Few months back I posted a Thread about "why Tuesdays are avoided for Hair Cutting" ; a member pointed out that it contained un researched information, and he knows more.

As that was only a THREAD , that member could have simply added his knowledge to the post, in the form of reply ,instead of finding fault with the posts.

A THREAD NEED NOT BE COMPLETE IN ALL RESPECT and agreeable to all.

Since you joined recently, you not aware about the difference between a POST and A THREAD in these social sites.

It is only to develop the THREAD , and add more information , Posts here are called as THREAD.

It might not be possible for any one to post all information about a particular subject, or it might contain some contradictions which others might oppose from their point of view.

I am posting many THreads on many subjects, including Bakthi, slokam etc.
          Some might contain little information about a Sthala, about a Health, or even it might be wrong or a Hoax.
          It is for members to pick up that Thread and start building it up.

Very seldom i find any response here, I am glad you being a Teacher wanted to contribute more THREADS.

Hope you understand this and start adding/ contributing YOUR THREADS for the benefits of all members.

regards

Padmanabhan.J
          PLEASE NOTE :I am much more older than you, running 75.
          Last edited by Padmanabhan.J; 04-06-13, 03:31.

Comment

Working...
          X