Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish tank in Brahmin house

Namaskaram

My friend (Srivaishnava) wants to keep a fish tank in her house. But their inlaws are opposing for this. She asked me the reason. Without asking questions, we used to follow the tradition, which our elders followed till now in our house. Eventhough my family members knew about the reasons, as they all are Sasthra educated, iam not able to ask them such questions. So, kindly give the reason, why fish tank should not be kept in Brahmin's house?

Brindha vasu.

Re: Fish tank in Brahmin house

Sri:
    Thanks for forwarded to ask question.
    Always it is better to know others opinion even though we have some strong idea about a thing.

Answer:-
    There is no question of Vaishnava or smArta in the view of shastram, because shAstram is common for all brahmins.

As per shastram brahmins should not enter in to any other activity other than religious like Vedatyayanam, vaideekam,
    pooja and related things.
    It is stated in shastra, if a brahmin is not able to survive with the above things, then he can enter in to agriculture as secondary jeevana vrudhi.
    Brahmin birth is very rare and will be available only after thousands of other births and after doing lot of punyam.

Growing pet animals and fish tank will lead to get lot of pApams if we are not able to keep them well.
    Result will get rebirth and it may be of any type human or animal or plant.

So, if one is having belief and faith in shAstras then it is better to avoid those things.

Though a particular person not having faith in those things, they can sacrifice their thirst for the sake of others
    having faith and belief.
    They can either turn their interest towards growing lot of plants which is 100% shastra oriented and it will be useful
    for day to day life and improves the health of self and others.
    Best wishes,
    nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Dear Sir,
      Quote "Growing pet animals and fish tank will lead to get lot of pApams if we are not able to keep them well" unquote with ref to the quoted line i have a small doubt please clarify sir, i am growing three dogs in my house we of course treat them as our kids now it is not possible to leave them anywhere please advice what to do?

Comment

Sri:
        After knowing the reason, try to gift them to a trust worthy person who take care of them.
        Not immediately, take reasonable time to prepare yourself.
        regards,
        nvs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
        please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
        Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
        Best Wishes and Best Regards,
        Dr.NVS

Comment

SrI:
          I also want to add a reason. Let us assume your pets die one day or other (inevitable right?). You will spend some weeks or months or years thinking about their death right? Instead of spending time to our own Anustanams we think about them. Just like a women going for buying a gold you are going for pets growth which is again materialistic life.

As a brahmin one should get rid of these materialistic thinking. As NVS swamin told gift them to your friend.

Comment

I have seen one of my friends keeping fish tank at home stating that
            all the evils will go away from the house. He also says that if a fish
            dies naturally, one existing problem gets cleared. He says it gives
            relaxation to his mind, while he looks at it and spends some time in
            a day. He says according to Hindu mythology, it is one of the Avatars
            of Lord Vishnu, as a fish in the Sea. He mentioned that the first Avatar
            is Matsya Avatar and it has its own significance. Further he says that
            every human being is expected to feed and protect some animals. Above
            all, nowadays Vaastu people advise many to keep fish tank at home
            to nurture good deeds. On seeing the above, I too discussed with him
            and remove the fish tank from the house and he has a second thinking on
            this issue.

Comment

Sir

Keeping Fish tank means you are denying the fish its own natural food and habitat which may accumulate your sin.

For your own relief and happiness the fishes are kept in a water tank which definitely hinders its natural free movement.

it is a superstitious belief that if we keep Fish it drives away Evils from home!!

Any adaptation of any pet animal like Dog, means we create additional bondage and relationship which has its own Karmic effect.

Their natural movements are restricted , they are always kept chained and their natural breeding ability is curtailed; all these have karmic effect which affect the person in future births.

Regards

Padmanabhan.j

Comment

While I agree with you with regard to restriction in their movement
                and natural breeding, I would like to add here that so long as if we
                do not neglect them, it could be permitted and it may even be one
                of the deeds of earning reward for protecting a janthu without getting
                harmed by the nature's havoc. But if one keeps an animal like dog
                or a bird viz. Parrot and neglect their freedom and their food, then
                it may be as you say, may lead to sin and threat of Hell to a person.
                My neighbour has a Cat and the woman is feeding milk punctually
                and has not neglected it, until the mother cat died on its own.

Comment

Sir

In most cases Dog owner sterilizes the Dog with the effect it loses its natural tendency to go after female Dogs; this is a Sin committed by the owner.

In case if it is a female Dog , puppies are separated and sold for a Profit; this is a greater Sin accrued by the owner.

Same is the case with Cats; the puppies are driven out, or left in a far away place from the owners 's place!!

In UK and other Western Countries, pet animals like Dogs,Cats are sterilized before giving to the owner for adaptation; so the owner is part of that Sin..

There are surely other ways of helping the Animals by donating to some Society which is against cruelty against any any animals.

Comment

Though Vastu Shastras suggest having a fish tank at home is good; but
                    then it has to be maintained properly. The water has to be changed at
                    frequent intervals. According to vasthu, keeping an empty tank is of
                    no use. As you are aware, vaastu shastra is an ancient science and it
                    aids in getting natural benefits. For a shopkeeper handling a fish is
                    a quite common task, whereas people like us can not maintain a tank
                    without touching them, which our society and our shastras do not permit.
                    The significance of having a fish tank is that normally fish do not close
                    the eye while it has a nap. According to hindu mythology, it is mentioned
                    that evil forces do not enter a house when there is an agni (burning)
                    or any creature like fish watching the atmosphere. That is why, some
                    people say it keeps away entry of bad energy.

Comment

Sir

please show the relevant link from Indian Vastu Sastras in support of your view please do not show what some other faith's Vastu Sastra in support of the view that Keeping Fish drives away evil forces from home.

Comment

Working...
                      X