Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of Sandhyavandanam

SrI:

Many of our acharyans (HH Azhagiya Singar, HH ANdavan, HH Paravakotai Andavan) have written lot of articles on Sandhyavandanam. In fact the HH Paravakotai Gopala Maha Desikan (the previous Swamin) asks any body who enters the ashram whether or not he has completed his nithya karma else please do not see me.

Here I'm simply copy pasting video link of one such Anugraha Bashanam by HH
    His Holiness Srimad Paravakkottai Andavan

Even if 1 person starts performing after watching this video then this forum and us have some thing to discuss upon later.

Sandhyavandanam is apart from Vadakalai, Thenkalai, Iyer, Vadama, Madva, Telugu Brahmna, etc, etc.
    It is a Karma for any brahmin.

One who does not do Sandhyavandanam for 3 continuous time (misses by one day) then he becomes ineligible to do any vaidheega karyam (eg: getting married, kanikadhanam, doing yearly Shaardam for his Father/Mother, Upakarama during Avittam, etc). There is no substitute for not performing Sandhyavandhanam.
    Even if we miss Shardam for a year there are compensation available per Dharma Sastram (although I personally do not know what is it) but if we do not do Sandhyavandanam then there is no substitute available.

Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 28-08-13, 19:00.

Re: Importance of Sandhyavandanam

Dear Sir,
    Quote "if we do not do Sandhyavandanam then there is no substitute available" Unquote if some one is hospitalized or on travel there must be some way what i feel. this is not for argument sake i am writing this on reading my reply to your post some well versed would give some favaurable reply to help such persons i hope

Comment

SrI:
      If anyone is hospitalised, these are Exemption category. However, when you are hospitalised your son can do Sandhyavandanam on your behalf. I mean your son will do for you + for himself. If you have no son then son-in-law or grandson can do it. If none is applicable, someone like your brother can do it. I have live examples of son doing when his father was in comma for 90 days. Same applies to Tharpanams.

When in travel you need to do it after you touch your feet in a stationary place. ie. you can compensate all your missed sandhavandanams in your destination home. That is why you would have heard about vaidheekas do not eat also when in travel because they cannot eat without doing Sandhyavandanams.

Likewise, even on normal occasions, you need to do it through Mantra roopam on time and later you can use water, etc after you reach home. eg: Most of us will be in office at 6 PM then they have to assume Sandyavandhanam through Mantrams and after he reached home at 8pm or 9pm then he can just do traditional way.

For madiyanikam we can do it in the morning itself (office goers). If we keep seeking for excuse we can keep on doing it.

Sandhyavandanam will take only 8 mins at max assuming 28 japams only recited.

Comment

Dear Sir ,
        This is what the exact alternative way i wanted to know . Your explanation shows there is an alternate available to get rid of the sin,and a new thing i have learned through your reply. As i have mentioned earlier i have raised the question to know the alternate only and not for the sake of argument or excuse. Thank you very much for the detail.

Comment

SrI:

Please do not refer me as Sir, I'm a kid only.
          However what I have said may or may not be 100% correct. But till we are healthy enough let us do it regularly.

More over people talk about Gym and all those stuff.

There is no excercise better than which acts as vital exercise for different parts of body. Achamanam (Hand purification), Pranayamam (breathing, nose related, lungs related), Nyasams eg: Sandhaga: Viniyokaha: (Fingers flexbility), chanting Achutha, Anantha, etc names (Tongue relaxation), Abhivadhis (Hip and Joints exercise), Gayathri (The best meditation for mind), Surya Namaskarams during Pachyame Saradhasadams, etc (Eyes getting purity through Sun's rays), so on and so forth...Above all the Namasankeerthams of the Emperuman is the plus point (Kali Yuga's method suggested by God to think Himself all the time).

There is no point in saying Gym gives that extra muscle when our Sastra have those remedies.

People who does not do Sandhayavandanams so far, Our only request is Try to do it for 3 days and then you will feel that difference in your work life balance. It is part of Yoga only.

Thanks.

Comment

Well said. Our ancestors knowing that , we do require to do some exercise everyday, for our day to day energy creation, musat have created these practices I hope

Comment

I heard some of our spiritual elders saying Maanasika sandhyavandhanam ,
              could any ignited light on this please ?

Comment

As per sasthras, we are supposed to do Achamanam only in the sitting posture. During every Sandyavandanam, we need to do achamanam for a minimum of 4 times. For at least one minute, you are in sitting posture everytime.
                We have heard of the sloka - Achuthananda Govinda namocharana beshajad, nasyanti sakala roha: satyam satyam vadamyaham.
                Meaning: If you repeat the names of Achutha, Anantha and Govinda - all the ailments will get vanished.
                So, both through mantra as well as through physical exercise, you are trying to maintain the structure of the body in the desired condition. Moreover during Madyanikka Upasthanam, when we draw the sun's energy through our right eye, we also seek his blessings through the mantra
                Pasyema saratha sadam - Good eyesight for 100 years
                Jeevema

Comment

As per sasthras, we are supposed to do Achamanam only in the sitting posture. During every Sandyavandanam, we need to do achamanam for a minimum of 4 times. For at least one minute, you are in sitting posture everytime.
                  We have heard of the sloka - Achuthananda Govinda namocharana beshajad, nasyanti sakala roha: satyam satyam vadamyaham.
                  Meaning: If you repeat the names of Achutha, Anantha and Govinda - all the ailments will get vanished.
                  So, both through mantra as well as through physical exercise, you are trying to maintain the structure of the body in the desired condition. Moreover during Madyanikka Upasthanam, when we draw the sun's energy through our right eye, we also seek his blessings through the mantra
                  Pasyema saratha sadam - Good eyesight for 100 years
                  Jeevema - Life span of 100 years
                  Nandama, Modama
                  Srunuvama - Hearing capacity for 100 years
                  Ajithasyama - With no one to conquer (i.e) without enemies
                  Surya Bhagavan blesses the performer with all these requests.
                  We also pray to other devas like - Imam me Varuna, sruthihavam....
                  and in the upasthanam we worship all the directions and also say 'Sarvabyo Devathabyo Namo Nama:' - thereby it becomes the duty of all devathas to protect the brahmin who does regular sandyavandanam.
                  Brahmasri Sundara Kumar used to say a small story:
                  In a newly developed area on a night time residents go by different vehicles to reach their home. As roads have not been laid properly and in lack of street lights, let us see what happens to different travellers:
                  There is a small pit in the midst of the road about 2 feet wide. First a cyclist comes on this road without light and gets thrown off his vehicle when he misses to notice the pit. Next comes a person in his old moped. When he slows down his vehicle, the light also dips and hence his vehicle also gets entangled but he manages without falling. Next comes an old car. The driver noticing the problem after nearing the area manages to pass through it but with lot of jolting. Next comes a Benz car. This driver with his bright light notices the pit well in advance, negotiates properly and the occupants don't even know that there was a pit. Story ends here. The pit symbolically means the troubles everyone has to undergo as per their jataka/astrology. The man who came in the cycle is a person who does not protect himself (i.e) he never does Sandyavandanam. Other vehicle users do it but in the ascending order of perfection. For the man who came in Benz, the impediments passed off even without his knowledge. Such is the superiority of Gayatri Mantra japam recited as per norms. All of us are residents of Boolokam (the new residential colony) and have to pass through all the ordeals during our life time. It is the vehicle which carries us that makes the difference. Pranams

Comment

Yes. True. As a citizen of Srirangam, we fondly used to call this HH as Kottanguchi jeeyar who stays near Dasavathara Sannithi in our kid time. HH will be served and anyone even goes to his mutt will get served everything in Kottanguchi. Sri Vishnu Puranam says a person who is not doing Sandhyavandhanam as "Nadamaadum Pinam". As he said not Puranam is saying that one who is not doing is not qualified for any thing even for Shraardham to his parents. Pithru mandalam,Rishi mandalam is not even turning their face towards that Namesake Brahmanan. Whatever else he is trying to do worshiping God from Kshetram to Kshetram and taking bath at all Punya Nadhi, doing other japams..... No use. "Namperumal avanai paarka kooda sagikkamal Mukolaapanam seivaar" - Periyorgal vaaku. Am not hesitating to say am a born Thenkalai Srivaishnavan who missed Madhyanikam almost after the day i weared Poonal function because of the lengthy Upasthaana Manthram of Rigveda and Aapa Punanthu even. Before i met this pontiff i was compelled by my Sanskrit Teacher to pronounce those. I gave him a weird look and started saying. He stopped me and degraded me in the class even though i was a regular attendee. Then after started doing Madhyanikam and he took me to this pontiff. HH taught me the importance of all and he tested me also. I again made a mistake because of fear. HH was not happy but asked my sanskrit teacher to taught the mantrams once again and told me don't get fear Namperumal will accept the mistake of kids. HH Stressed me strongly to pronounce without any fear in the next time we met.
                    Last edited by sribalaji85; 03-05-16, 07:36.

Comment

Adiyen Namaskaram,
                      I would like to ask a basic question on Sandhyavandhanam

A. My Question/Understanding
                      : Sandhayavandhanam upholds Baghawan Vishnu and preaches that every Braahmana, irrespective of division such as smartha, vaishnava etc., must unconditionally surrender only to Kesava in order to maintain his braahmanatvam as sandhyavanthanam is the fundamental and compulsory

B. Supporting Points: 3 important mantras recited during Sandhyavandhanam emphasize surrender/saranagathi to Kesava/Vishnu.

1. Shanka Chakra Gadha pane Dwaraka Nilayachutha "Govindham Pundareekaksham Rakshamam Sharanagatham"... cont..

..2. Aakashath pathitham thoyam yatha ghachathi sagaram "shevadheva namaskarahah Sri kesavam Prathigachathi"

3. Kayenavacha Manasa Indriyarva Bhudhyathamava Prakruthe Svabavath Karomiyadyat Sakalam parasmai Sriman Narayanayethi samarpayami

As observed above a Braahmana is expected to perform saranagathi towards Narayana of swayam(self), chittam manam, and karyam. These are nothing but the essence of Bagawath Ramanujar and aneka Srivaishnava smapradhaya aacharya's path to moksham.
                      It is very well known that no such mantras are available that lets surrender to or extols Shiva or Parvathi or Ganesh etc.,

Explicity initiating someone into Saranagathi towards Vishnu through the 3 mantras as mentioned above and having no such mantra dedicated to other Bhagawan/Gods, according to me makes Sandhayavandhanam only an extension of Charama Shloka from Gita- "Sarvadharman partityajya Maam ekam Sarnam vraja". Other than that, Dhvadhasa Nama, Aachamanyam are further add-on

C. Inference/Conclusion: As a very fundamental nithya karma of every Braahmana, Sandhyavandhanam upholds only Vaishnava dharma and since not performing it thrukaalam reduces/erodes ones Braahmanatvam. I feel it could be very well said there is no scope for a Braahmana to be a Shaivan, Shaktan etc., as he has already surrender to Kesava and essentially all Braahmanas are Vaishnavas.
                      Does being a Shaivan /Shaktan and being a braahmana are contradictory

Please enlighten me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Srivathsan Iyer View Post
                        Adiyen Namaskaram,
                        I would like to ask a basic question on Sandhyavandhanam

A. My Question/Understanding
                        : Sandhayavandhanam upholds Baghawan Vishnu and preaches that every Braahmana, irrespective of division such as smartha, vaishnava etc., must unconditionally surrender only to Kesava in order to maintain his braahmanatvam as sandhyavanthanam is the fundamental and compulsory

B. Supporting Points: 3 important mantras recited during Sandhyavandhanam emphasize surrender/saranagathi to Kesava/Vishnu.

1. Shanka Chakra Gadha pane Dwaraka Nilayachutha "Govindham Pundareekaksham Rakshamam Sharanagatham"... cont..

..2. Aakashath pathitham thoyam yatha ghachathi sagaram "shevadheva namaskarahah Sri kesavam Prathigachathi"

3. Kayenavacha Manasa Indriyarva Bhudhyathamava Prakruthe Svabavath Karomiyadyat Sakalam parasmai Sriman Narayanayethi samarpayami

As observed above a Braahmana is expected to perform saranagathi towards Narayana of swayam(self), chittam manam, and karyam. These are nothing but the essence of Bagawath Ramanujar and aneka Srivaishnava smapradhaya aacharya's path to moksham.
                        It is very well known that no such mantras are available that lets surrender to or extols Shiva or Parvathi or Ganesh etc.,

Explicity initiating someone into Saranagathi towards Vishnu through the 3 mantras as mentioned above and having no such mantra dedicated to other Bhagawan/Gods, according to me makes Sandhayavandhanam only an extension of Charama Shloka from Gita- "Sarvadharman partityajya Maam ekam Sarnam vraja". Other than that, Dhvadhasa Nama, Aachamanyam are further add-on

C. Inference/Conclusion: As a very fundamental nithya karma of every Braahmana, Sandhyavandhanam upholds only Vaishnava dharma and since not performing it thrukaalam reduces/erodes ones Braahmanatvam. I feel it could be very well said there is no scope for a Braahmana to be a Shaivan, Shaktan etc., as he has already surrender to Kesava and essentially all Braahmanas are Vaishnavas.
                        Does being a Shaivan /Shaktan and being a braahmana are contradictory

Please enlighten me on this.
                        Sri:
                        What is your Question in this?!
                        ரொம்பச் சரியாகத்தான் சொல்லியுள்ளீர்கள்!
                        எல்லாமே 100 சதவீதம் சரிதான்!
                        ஆனால்
                        ஆனால்
                        ஆனால்

மோக்ஷத்துக்கு போகப்போறோம்கறத்துக்காக
                        மோர்குழம்பு சாப்பிடமா இருக்க முடியுமா?!
                        மோர்குழம்பும், வாழப்பூ உசிலி, கத்திரிக்காய் பொடிக்கரமது பண்ணித்தர ஆத்துக்காரிய
                        ரெண்டு வார்த்தை, ”ரொம்ப நன்னா பண்றியே” ன்னு பாராட்டாம இருக்க முடியுமா?

ஸ்ரீமந் நாராயணன் மோக்ஷத்தை வேண்ணா குடுப்பார் (அது எப்பவோ நடக்கப்போறது)
                        அதுக்காக மோர்குழம்பும், எண்ணைக் கத்திரிக்காயும் சாப்டறத இன்னிலேருந்து உட்டுட முடியுமா?

“அங்கான்யங்காந்யா: தேவதா:” - ன்னு உபநிஷத் சொல்றது
                        சிவனும், பார்வதியும், கணேசரும் அந்த நாராயணனின் அங்கங்கள்தான்
                        அதனால நாங்க அந்த ரூபத்துல நாராயணனை பார்கறோம்னு அவா சொல்றா!

பெருமாளுக்குத் தெரியாதா,
                        அவா அவாள - அவா அவா போக்குல போவிட்டு
                        எப்ப, எங்க, எப்படி சேர்துக்கணுமோ அப்ப அப்படி சேர்துப்பார்!
                        கவலைப்படாதேள்!
                        ---------
                        கொஞ்சம் ஹாஸ்யமா எழுதறதா நெனைஞ்சுண்டு எழுதியிருக்கேன்
                        எதானும் தப்பாப்பட்டா, வாய்கு வந்தபடி வைதுவிட்டு மன்னிச்சு உட்டுருங்கோ!
                        ஸேவிச்சு அபிவாதி பண்ணிக்கறேன்.
                        தாஸன்.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
                        please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
                        Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
                        Best Wishes and Best Regards,
                        Dr.NVS

Comment

Working...
                        X