MAKING OF POONOOL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKING OF POONOOL.

I was given to understand from an elderly person,who was not so sure of it, that poonools are to be made only by some persons and not by all. Could any learned persons like vaadyars,bruhaspathis or vaideekas throw some light on this subject,and who are all eligible to make poonools.

Re: MAKING OF POONOOL.

I have seen in our place Vaideekas too making Poonals. They used to
    take the cotton, which are grown in the house backyards or fields for
    spinning through the spindle. They have certain predetermined theories
    and they used to chant while using the spindle. I have seen them chanting
    but I do not know the substance and essence of it as i was very young
    and had no idea to find out from them.

Comment

Dear Mr.Balu,

What you have seen might be during your young days. No present day purohits (even vaideekaas) are not at all spinning or making Poonools as explained by you. Almost all of them are purchasing the same from traders most of them are Vaisyas.
      Dont be carried away by their(Purohits) words that the poonools were made by them personnally.

Comment

I totally agree with you Sir. One can notice Poonal is being sold at the
        entrance of Siva Vishnu Temple, T Nagar, at the bazaar street near Kapaleeswarar
        Temple, Mylapore, etc. The strands of the sacred thread have a symbolic
        and vedic meaning and hence the sanctity has to be preserved at all costs.
        Above all, wearing a poonal on the body has many principles behind it.
        It is circular in shape and tied end-to-end having a single knot. It rests
        on the left shoulder of a person at all times, except for some occasions;,
        wrapping around the body downwards underneath the right arm.
        In one of the books, I read that it generally 96 times the breadth of four
        fingers of a person, which is supposed to be equal to that of his height.
        Each of the fingers denotes one of the four stages i.e. that the soul of a
        person experiences during waking up, dreaming, dreamless sleep and
        knowledge of the absolute. Further, it also indicates that one who wears
        the sacred thread has to be pure in his thought, words and deeds.
        While, Upanayanam is being performed, there is a clear instruction
        that the Brahmachari has to lead a regulated life with purity in thought,
        words and deeds. Further one is indebted to the guru, i.e. Vadhyar,
        parents who do the Upadesam and to the society at large, as the
        Ceremony is being performed at the instance of well wishers and
        above all in the presence of the Supreme Power.

Balasubramanian NR

Comment

Mr.NRB,
          I dont understand actually what you want to convey through your post and to whom, to read the (what) contents. Sometimes some posts are always confusing not to know the head or tail of the post. When I clicked thanks under your previous post, alas, there flashed a reply " you are not eligible etc., etc.,". All funny things are happening in our forum now and then. It is for us to enjoy such funny moments. Anyway I want to know where the thanks button is for me to click under your post.. Narasimhan
          Last edited by P.S.NARASIMHAN; 10-11-13, 13:07. Reason: to add one more sentence

Comment

I do not know the technicality. I just post my answer only. I am in the learning process.

Balasubramanian NR

Comment

In fact, I do not know the technicality, I just posted the information and did nothing else.
              Could you kindly educate me on this procedure. Thanks

Balasubramanian NR

Comment

Sri:
                Don't worry about the "Thanks" hack,
                there were two versions of "Thanks" button,
                Now I removed the problematic one.
                So, members can view the post as normal as previous.
                regs,
                NVS

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
                please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
                Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
                Best Wishes and Best Regards,
                Dr.NVS

Comment

Is there already a demo of making the yagnyopaveetham? Pls let us know ; if not the Bruhaspathi swamy can explain
                  that also to the members.
                  VSR

Comment

Dear Sir very kind of you to have solved the problem it has confused almost all the regular visitors i hope.

Comment

Sri:
                      There are few types of making the brahma knot of the poonal according to philosophy
                      like, Iyer, Iyengar, Madhva etc. But, the basic thread making is same in all sampradayam.
                      See the below video.
                      The video is prepared in a very well manner. No, one can demonstrate more than this.
                      If you are talented enough, you can learn the art of making poonal with the help of this video.
                      Madhva Poonal Making Video

Iyer Poonal Making video (This demonstration is not as good as the above).

regs,
                      nvs
                      Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 11-11-13, 22:05.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
                      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
                      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
                      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
                      Dr.NVS

Comment

I also join Mr.Soundararajan to thank Mr.NVS swamin for having solved the problem.

Comment

Though the first video,"Madhva poonool making " is really informative but quite cumbersome and difficult for any ordinary person to make poonool in that way. Is there no other simple way of making poonool? it seems Iyer poonool making is very simple but the brahmma mudichchu is very small. can we take it as a religiously accepted one.

Comment

Working...
                          X