• Show
Clear All

• Discuss Poorvam Rituals

Click image for larger version

Name:	poorvam-list.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	34199
    I am ready to explain or clarify doubt about the above listed items here.
    Feel Free to post your questions.
    Or Start a discussion on any of the above subject.
    NVs

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Re: Discuss Poorvam Rituals

Dear NVS mama,

I would like to learn about why we do gruhapravesam before moving into a house? Is Gruhapravesam to be done even if the house is actually an already built, old one where other people have resided for years? What does a gruhapravesam ceremony entail? Is the boiling of milk (பால் காச்சுதல்) a part of gruhapravesam ceremony or is it a social / cultural addition and not a vedic ritual?

These were general questions. But, now, I have a specific one - my brother has bought a house (this house is 30yrs old) and will be doing gruhapravesam soon. Should he and his wife do it or should my parents be the persons who do the homam? Parents live in India and brother lives in Australia - so, parents are not going to live in the house anyway. In that case, who should do it?

I am eagerly looking forward to your reply and to learn more.

Thanks!

Padhma

Comment

Dear Padhma,
      Actually speaking, Grihapreavesam is totally modified from how it is described in Grihya Sutra.
      So, now mostly the Vastu Shati Homam is in procedure which is one of the element of grihapreavesam.
      Boiling of milk is not given in Sutra but as you have it is followed traditionally, because, after doing pravesam, perumal aradhanam is to be done immediately, something we have to provide as naivetyam for perumal, and that something shall not be better one than milk which also called as "Amrutam".

Here under given the complete Apastamba Grihya Sutram as it is in Sutra which is prepared for my phd thesis - in pdf
      Here I am facing power cut problem, hence, I might have missed to answer some of your questions,
      please check and ask again.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Thank you very much for answering my question and also sharing this document here! I read the document and although it was very informative, I do not fully understand the content. So, after reading this I have more questions, which I am posting here. Please answer them at your convenience.

In the first paragraph, it is said that it is a Kamya karma - does it mean, the entire gruhapravesam ritual as done today is a kamya karma? If so, could we skip it and simply do perumal aaradhanam upon moving into a new house?

Padhma
        Last edited by pamrang; 10-11-11, 02:28.

Comment

Working...
        X