Dress & personality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress & personality

There is a subhashitam in Sanskrit where it says how important the dress is to express one's personality.

किं वाससा तत्र विचारणीयं
    वासः प्रधानं खलु योग्यताया: /
    पीताम्बरं वीक्ष्य ददौ स्वकन्यां
    चर्माम्बरं वीक्ष्य विषं समुद्रः //

When the milk ocean was churned several items came out. When Lakshmi came out the ocean gave her to Vishnu dressed in the yellow robe. When poison came out he gave it to Siva who was dressed with the hide of an elephant.

Here is another version of the same verse:

वासः प्रधानं खलु योग्यताया -
    वासोविहीनं विजहाति लक्ष्मी:।
    पीताम्बरं वीक्ष्य ददौ स्वकन्यां
    दिगम्बरं वीक्ष्य विषं समुद्र: ॥

Source:K.N.Ramesh

Re: Dress & personality

Sir, Could you tell me where this quote is from? I am interested to read it further and fully as it gives a wholly a different meaning than what is understood till now. Is wearing a hide from animals wrong? Does it deserve poison to be given to the wearer? I feel that something is wrong or presumed.Till now everyone knows that Lord Siva saved this universe from annihilation by consuming the "Alahala Visham". Only after this, rest of the things came from the "Samudra Manthan" including Dhanvanthri and Mahalakshmi.
    sincerely,
    varadarajan

Comment

Re: Dress & personality

The source of the subhashitham is from Sri K.N.Ramesh blog sir I do receive several articles from him on different areas i do share with our members some interesting articles like this.

Comment

Working...
      X