Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Nrusimha Jayanti

Dear All,

Greetings and Namaste. Sri Nrusimha Jayanti falls on Tuesday (13-May-2014) and in that connection, I am happy to share a short and sweet prayer from Skanda Purana, Vaishnav Khanda, Chapter 28 titled Purushottama Kshetra Mahatmyam. I had shared another short hymn from the same purana last year on the same occasion.

Hymns on Lord Nrusimha are very few in Puranas, although aplenty by Bhagavatas. As mentioned last year, there seem to be more than one Ashtottaram and Sahasranama on Lord Nrusimha but one each are commonly used. If we look at the Phalashruti of Nrusimha Sahasranama, it is easy to understand that it is perhaps the most potent of all Vishnu Sahasranamas - yet it is used sparingly, as far as I know.

Chanting of Mantraraja Pada Stotram, Nrusimha Prapatti, Nrusimha Karavalamba Stotram, Nrusimha Kavacham is an effective way to protect oneself and seek Lord's blessings. Regular chanting is also prescribed for stomach/mental illnesses and planetary (especially Mars) afflictions. it is also said that drinking of holy water after due Thirumanjanam (abhishekam)/chanting by people with mental/stomach problems (including obsessions) will make profound changes in their mental outlook and cure of diseases.

Though there are many many shrines for Lord Nrusimha, a few are very famous - Ahobilam, Poovarasan kuppam, Simhadri, Mattapalli, Yadagiri Gutta, Sholingur, Singaperumal Koil, Narasingapuram (Thiruvallur, Chennai), Ashta Narasimha Sthala in Tamil Nadu, etc. A beautiful but less known sthala is Devarayana Durga about 100 kms from Bangalore (nearer to Nandi Hills) - it has two Narasimha shrines - Bhoga Narasimha and Yoga Narasimha. A small but very famous Lakshmi Temple is also nearby (Goravanahalli).

May We Seek Lord Nrusimha's blessings on His Avatar Day!

Courtesy:K. Muralidharan Iyengar

Last edited by soundararajan50; 12-05-14, 20:58.
Working...
X