X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram from Skanda Puranam

Dear All,

Greetings and Namaste.

I am happy to share a very rare (more or less unheard of) Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram from Skanda Puranam, Avanti Khanda, Chapter 74 (as part of Vamana Kunda Mahima). I chanced upon this a few years ago when I was actually scanning the entire Skanda Purana for Varaha Sahasranama and have since been chanting this off and on.

Though this is a very rare one, looking at the Phalashruti one can understand that this is no less in importance and efficacy to that of the commonly used Vishnu Sahasranama from Mahabharata. The Sahasranama also gives a special prescription for immense benefits - to chant this 100 times in holy places like Badarikashrama, Dwaraka, Ujjan (Mahakaleshwar), etc. Perhaps those who are visiting such places (and have the liberty of time could set aside a few days for performing this feat - I guess it would take at least 2-3 days..

The fact that the prescription is to chant this Vishnu Sahasranama in Mahakaleshwar (one of the 12 Jyotirlinga) stands proof to the point I have been repeatedly seeing in Purans - that the Shiva/Vishnu Beda/rivalry is purely imaginary that has absolutely no religious basis as far as I have seen. It ought to be a case of "God created man and man created politics".

With respect to Vishnu Sahasranamas, there are plenty of them. I have so far collected about 20+ Vishnu Sahasranams (if we include Devis/forms, Hanuman, etc. it will cross 30), and I know many more exist and are still looking for them - for example, Parashurama Sahasranama (said to be from Agni Puranam), Pitambara Sahasranama, Satyanarayana Sahasranama, another Nrusimha Sahasranama, a couple of other Rama Sahasranamas, Janaki Sahasranama, Dhanvantari Sahasranama, etc.

A couple of years ago, I started making them into a compilation but it is still an unfinished project (There is a joke in my IT field - the IT projects start fast and quickly reach 90% and it remain 90% forever!! Mine is stuck at 50% for long time!!). Though I could console myself with lot of lame excuses, laziness one of the prime reasons apart from my work. Hopefully I will see some fructification in the months ahead.

There is an equally large pool of Sahasranamas on Lord Shiva (I might have at least 10-20). As everyone knows, the number of Sahasranamas on Devi/forms will run into hundreds.

May Lord Narayana bless us all,

Thanks & Regards,
    K. Muralidharan (Murali)

Click here or Use below frame's right scroll bar to find the "Download" button like this: Download Button

Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam from Skanda Puranam - Sanskrit

Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam from Skanda Puranam-Tamil
    Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 29-03-12, 15:25. Reason: file uploaded

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Re: Rare Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram from Skanda Puranam

Hi Murali ,

Can you please post the sanskrit version also.

Rgds,Vaidya

Comment

Sri:
      Both Tamil and Sanskrit version of the above files are added to downloads.
      You can either download using the above post or can directly go to downloads sections to download the required files.
      Admin

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Hi Murali
        Can you pls post all the versions of shiva sahasranamas pls? So far to my knowledge there is abook released by nag publishers delhi which has eight different versions of sahasranama. But the book is out of print from the publisher side. Also a Phd candidate from university of madras has done a thesis on eight different versions of shiva sahasranama. My tough luck I am unable to get that book.

pls do the needful.

thanks
        c.r.bala

Comment

I am not able to download the PDF files either Sanskrit or Tamil. Please help. Thanks. Kaumaaram

Comment

Try this:
            [dbox]http://www.brahminsnet.com/pdf/Sri%20Vishnu%20Sahasranamam%20-%20Skanda%20Puranam%20-%20TAM.pdf[/dbox]
            If you are not able to click,
            Select the total code inside the box and right click and then click the "open Link in new tab" sub menu.
            Last edited by bmbcAdmin; 07-10-12, 17:52.

Dr.NVS

Comment

Many many thanks for your prompt response Sir.

Comment

Working...
              X