MARK OF A TRUE DEVOTEE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARK OF A TRUE DEVOTEE

We often hear that some one is a true devotee of so and so,another a true devotee of some one else,etc.,
    Who is a true devotee?
    Lord Krishna enlightens us with this description of his true devotee.
    Please read on.
    Varadarajan

MARKS OF A TRUE DEVOTEE (FROM BHAGAVADGITA)

The Gita, along with the Upanishads and the Brahma Sutras, embodies the flights of spiritual thought and philosophy of the seers of ancient India. It contains the essence of the practical philosophy of the Upanashads in language more easily comprehended than that used in the latter. It is wrong to call it the scriptural text of the Hindus only. The message of the Gita is relevant for all times and for all humanity. Sage Vedavyasa has embedded this treasure in the heart of Mahabharata, the geat epic poem written by him. It has been appreciated and acclaimed by the great thinkers and philosophers of the World and translated into the major world languages. It is strange that this great sermon was delivered by Lord Krishna to Arjuna in the most unusual of settings, the battlefield of Kurukshetra where the Pandava and Kaurava armies were facing each other and Arjuna’s chariot, with Krishna as the charioteer, was stationed right in the middle of the two armies.

In the following verses from the Gita, the Lord enumerates the marks of a true devotee of His.

भगवानुवाच-

अद्वेष्टा सर्वभूतानां मैत्रः करुण एव च
    निर्ममो निरहंकारः समदुःखसुखः क्षमी [१२.१३]

संतुष्टः सततं योगी यतात्मा दृढनिश्चयः
    मय्यर्पितमनोबुद्धिर्यो मद्भक्तः स मे प्रियः [१२.१४]

That devotee of mine, who does not hate any creature, is friend and compassionate, is not possessive or egoistic, accepts pleasure and pain with equanimity, is forgiving , is always contented, is united constantly with me in meditation, has the mind under his control and has unshakable resolve, who has surrendered his mind and intellect to me, is very dear to me.

यस्मान्नोद्विजते लोको लोकान्नोद्विजते च यः
    हर्षामर्षभयोद्वेगैर्मुक्तो यः स च मे प्रियः [१२.१५]

अनपेक्षः शुचिर्दक्षः उदासीनो गतव्यथः
    सर्वारम्भपरित्यागी यो मद्भक्तः स मे प्रियः [१२.१६]

That devotee of mine, by whom people are not mentally disturbed, who himself is not mentally disturbed by others, who is not swayed by joy and envy, fear and anxiety, is very dear to me (12.15)

That devotee of mine, who is without desire for even things which come to him without effort, who is pure in body and mind, who is active and skilful and not lazy, who is devoid of worries, who has given up all endeavours for selfish ends, is very dear to me. (12.16)

यो न हृष्यति न द्वेष्टि न शोचति न काङ्क्षति
    शुभाशुभपरित्यागी भक्तिमान्यः स मे प्रियः [१२.१७]

समः शत्रौ च मित्रे च तथा मानापमानयोः
    शीतोष्णसुखदुःखेषु समः संगविवर्जितः [१२.१८]

तुल्यनिन्दास्तुतिर्मौनी संतुष्टो येन केनचित्
    अनिकेतः स्थिरमतिर्भक्तिमान्मे प्रियो नरः [१२.१९]

ये तु धर्म्यामृतमिदं यथोक्तं पर्युपासते
    श्रद्दधाना मत्परमा भक्तास्तेऽतीव मे प्रियाः [१२.२०]

That devotee of mine, who neither delights nor hates, who neither grieves nor desires, who is indifferent to things auspicious or inauspicious, is very dear to me (12.17)

That devotee of mine, who maintains equanimity between friend and foe, honour and dishonour, heat and cold, pleasure and pain, praise and criticism, who is unattached and contented with whatever comes by chance, who does not have a permanent abode and who is having a steadfast mind, is very dear to me (12.18,12.19)

This true wisdom I have taught will lead you to immortality. The faithful practice it with devotion , taking me for the highest aim. To me they surrender heart and mind. They are exceedingly dear to me. (12.20)

Working...
X