why we do Pradakshina as a part of pooja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why we do Pradakshina as a part of pooja

Respected SIR, Personally i find difficult to read the messages sent thru threads
    as i have to do several clicks and wade thru bramin net.
    i suggest for friends in facebook threre should be simple procedure to read the contents automatically instead of covering/crossing several screens.
    Further in the above reasons for doing PRADAKSHINA not given.
    LIVE button is not operative to contact yu. pl give yur cellno to seek clarification from you.
    kindly reply to my Email also ADIYAN chellappa

Re: why we do Pradakshina as a part of pooja

Sri:
    There is no meaning of having a special website when the complete contents are given outside.
    As you are member of vaideekam group, you will get the messages through email.
    Also, how can I ask all other members to post a copy of the message in facebook also?
    Or are you expecting me to copy all the contents and post it in facebook?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

Sri:
      There is no meaning of having a special website when the complete contents are given outside.
      As you are member of vaideekam group, you will get the messages through email.
      Also, how can I ask all other members to post a copy of the message in facebook also?
      Or are you expecting me to copy all the contents and post it in facebook?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
      Best Wishes and Best Regards,
      Dr.NVS

Comment

why we do Pradakshina as a part of pooja

swamins:

an any one tell me why we do Pradakshina as a part of pooja and rituals and around the sanctum of the temple.
        pranams
        adiyen srinivasan

Answer :

THE ATTACHED FILE FROM 1999 is my response to the question on PradakshiNam from THE VEDA MANTRAM –point of view .

Additional Information :

There are many kinds of PradakshiNams : Aatma PradakshiNam , Paadha PradakshiNam , DaNDa
        PradakshiNam and Anga PradakshiNam .The latter two are strenous . Paadha PradakshiNam is the clockwise circumambulation around the PrAkArams of the Temple . Anga PradakshiNam is the cirumAmbulation with the full body in a horizontal manner and needs some help from friends or relatives
        around the corners of the PrAkAram . In Oppiliappan Koil and Thirumala , it is popular . DaNda PradakshiNam is to take one step during the PradakshiNam followed by DaNDavath PraNAmam to the Lord . The numbers of the PradakshiNam vary . Usually , it is three times and Sri VishNu Sahasra Naamam or sthOtrams can be rcited during the Paadha PradkshiNams /

NamO SrI NrusimhAya,
        V.Sadagopan

NamO SrI NrusimhAya,
        V.Sadagopan

Comment

Dear Sir tcchellapa,
          Already very good explanations are given;
          In simple terms we do 3 times Atma Pradakshnia after Puja reciting the following:
          Yani kani cha papani
          Janmantara kritanicha
          Tani tani vinashyanti
          Pradakshinam pade pade
          meaning
          I (self) rotate in my place to kill all my sins that I may have committed in all of my births.

Comment

Sir ,
            My sincere thanks for having uploaded this manthra

Comment

Thanks for the explanation but, what is the point of doing atma pradakshinam? Do we do that to worship the Antaryami?
              Learned members please enlighten.

Comment

Dear Sir

What is the spiritual significance of doing Atma Pratakshinam?

The Omnipresence God is not only everywhere and inside ME but ALSO in each one of all living and non living things. Do not harm any.

So you are doing namaskaarams Namaskaarmas to the Atma that is within you.
                So we make Pradikshinams around us standing in same place, and after dong three Pradikshinams and utter '' Atma Pradikshina namaskaaran Samarpayaami (I offer Atma Pradikshina namaskarams)
                "The atma is a symbol of both the temple and the deities in the temple — by going around it; we are simulating the act of going around and worshipping every divine manifestation."
                You may ask why three times? Will not a Single Pradikshinam enough.
                The sins committed by the mind are destroyed by the first step pradaksina, the sins committed in speech by the second and the sins perpetrated by the body by the third pradiksina.
                Spiritually it means let one's thoughts keep revolving around the aatman which is the real 'I' (Self), till self realization happens. It is the constant inquiry about oneself

Normally in sanatana Dharma, it always runs on a word called TRIPUTI (Three times).
                Are there a prescribed number of times to go around in Temples?
                There is. If the deity is a Ganesha, the minimum number of pradakshinams is one, if it's Shiva, you go around the deity twice, it is Vishnu you do it three times and in case it is Durga, you go around her no less than six times.
                Is the practice of pradakshinam prevalent only in Hinduism? No, not strictly. While the practice of going around a deity is particular to Hinduism the idea of circumambulation is common to quite a few religions across the world.
                In Islam, Muslims go round and round the Kaaba, their most sacred site, in a practice they call the tawaf and Buddhists circumambulate the stupa which normally houses relics of the Buddha. Or they go around the Bodhi tree in much the same manner as Hindus do their pradakshinam.
                All of them believe that the holy spot or image is at the very centre of life and so is the main focus of their existence. The faithful believe that God is at the centre of our existence. So when we do pradakshina or circumambulation, we accept that our actions and thoughts are always centered on God.

There are different opinions on Atma pradakshina and it is for each one of us to evaluate and decide.

Comment

very good explenation swami
                  Thank you
                  Rangarajan.C

Comment

Working...
                  X