Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in Sankalpam while in the USA

Dear friends,
    I found this post by Sri Anbil I think in the internet while searching for the above query. I reproduce it below.

Is it OK? Comments/suggestions are welcome as this will help many of us who travel to US to be with our children/grand children now and then.
    Varadarajan

"..

Dear friends
    This is a FAQ (Frequently asked question) which has been answered as frequently. The subject has been dealt with in Chapter 25 of my book "hinduism Rediscovered" Excerpts are as follows:
    ==============================================================

The Sankalpa that every Hindu makes while initiating any religious practice invariably refers to the exact locale where the rite is performed with reference to the Hindu Cosmology.
    (e.g.) In India, the locale part of the Sankalpa would be as follows:

mErOh daksinE paarsvE On the Southern side of Mount mEru

Jambudveepe In the isle of the rose apple

Bharata Varshe In the region called Bharata Varsha

Bharatah Khande In the continent of Bharata etc.

Those doing the rites in the U.S.A, adopt the same as follows:

mErOh paschima dik bhaagE On rhe Westernside of Mount mEru

Ramanaka Varshe In the region called Ramanaka Varsha

Aindra Khande In the continent called Aindra

Rocky - McKinley Parvatayor Madhye: Between the mountains of Rockey and McKinley

Misissipi- Missouri Ityaadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva Nadeenaam sameepa stite:
    the place that is surrounded by such perennial rivers like Mississippi, Missouri and 16 other rivers.

==================================================================

I have heard in KaalakshEpams on AnushTaana Granthams that the mEru mountain lies at the Northernmost tip of BhoolOka. Therefore, whether it is America or Australia , North pole or South Pole - all are said to lie on the South of Mount mEru. Therefore, the Sankalpam used in India "mErOh dakshiNE paarsvE' seems to apply to any location on earth.

There is, however, a tendency for non-conformity with what is practiced back home and in the name of novelty in America, some priests have reworded the same as "mErOh Paschima dik bhaagE".

Re: Changes in Sankalpam while in the USA

ஸ்வாமின்னு , 27 03 2014 4.15pm

அடியேனுடைய அன்பர் , USல் , தர்ப்பண சங்கல்பத்தில்

எவ்வாறு மாற்றி உச்சரிக்கவேண்டும் என்று விக்ஞாபித்துள்ளார் ..

தேவரீரால் இந்த மாற்றத்தை அநுக்கிரஹிக்க முடியுமா ?

" பாரத வருஷே .. பரதக்கண்டே .. தக்ஷிணே பார்ஸ்வே .. "

போன்றவற்றில் உள்ள மாறுதல்கள் .. ??

அருள்கூர்ந்து பதில் அளிக்குமாறு ப்ரார்த்திக்கிறேன் ..

தாஸன் ..

அன்புடன்

திருமலை ஸ்ரீநிவாச வரதன் ..

To VAIDEEKAM@yahoogroups.com

Mar 28 at 11:21 AM
    இந்த பூலோகமே மேரு மலைக்குத் தெற்கே உள்ளதுதான். இந்த சங்கல்பமே இந்த பூலோகத்திற்குதான்.சங்கல்பத்தில் உள்ள பாரத வர்க்ஷே பரத கண்டே என்பவை இந்தியாவைக் குறிப்பவை அல்ல. ஆகவே பூலோகம் முழுவதும் ஒரே சங்பகல்பம்தான்.

இது அடியேனுடைய தாழ்மையான அபிப்பிராயம்.

Regards,
    P R Narasimhan.

Dear Swamin
    Thank you for referring to this issue to me.
    Please see the attachment for my view.
    Dasoham
    Anbil Ramaswamy

SANKALPAM IN INDIA AND IN U.S.A.
    The following are excerpts from Chapter 25 of “Hinduism Rediscovered” book which inter alia deals with the location that is recited in our Sankalpa
    “DVEEPAS (ISLANDS)
    While the Mahabhaarata gives an older version of the world model with just four dveepas arranged around Mount Meru, a fully developed model which is much more complex is also seen depicted in the Puranas. They mention seven dveepas surrounded by seven concentric oceans with Mount Meru standing at the center in what is known as Jambudveepa surrounded by an ocean of salt water which itself is surrounded alternately by circles of land and other oceans.
    This Mount Meru, or the “Golden Mountain” is described as 84,000 Yojanas in height, 16,000 Yojanas in depth unimaginably far above the surface of the earth, with a diameter of 32,000 Yojanas and a base of 16,000 Yojanas.
    The Jambudveepa itself is divided into 9 parts, with Bharata varsha at the center.
    The other 8 parts are described as “places of perfect enjoyment” (Bhoga Bhumi), where happiness is spontaneous and uninterrupted, without vicissitude, without age and death, without distinction of virtue or vice, without any change brought about by the cycle of ages.
    NOTE:
    U.S.A. may be described as “BhOga Bhoomi” may be in relation to India but it cannot be said to have the characteristics mentioned in the case of India – namely “where happiness is spontaneous and uninterrupted, without vicissitude, without age and death, without distinction of virtue or vice, without any change brought about by the cycle of ages”.
    Bharatavarsha is subject to the deterioration brought about by the succession of the four yugas; it knows suffering and death. But, it is the land of works (Karma Bhumi) which enables people to gain heaven or even final emancipation” – 18
    The Sankalpa that every Hindu makes while initiating any religious practice invariably refers to the exact locale where the rite is performed with reference to the Hindu Cosmology.
    (e.g) In India, the locale part of the Sankalpa would be as follows:
    mErO: DakshiNE paarsvE On the southern side of Mount mEru
    Jambudveepe In the isle of the rose appleBharata Varshe In the region called Bharata VarshaBharatah Khande In the continent of Bharata etc.
    mErO: paschima dig bhaagE; on the western side of Mount mERu
    Ramanaka Varshe In the region called Ramanaka VarshaAindra Khande In the continent called AindraRocky – McKinley Parvatayor Madhye: Between the mountains of Rockey and McKinleyMisissipi- Missouri Ityaadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva Nadeenaam sameepa stite:
    the place that is surrounded by such perennial rivers like Mississippi, Missouri and 16 other rivers.

COMMENT:
    This does not seem to be correct because Mount mERu is situated unimaginably north and therefore mErO: dakshiNE paarsvE is to be applied anywhere in our world whether in India or U.S.A or Australia. Consequently, the other references to Dveepa, Varsha, Khanda etc should be as indicated in the location for India.
    ===========================================================

SrI:

Dear Sriman Anbil Swami :
    NamO Nama:
    Many thanks for your quick response .
    I remembered that you had answered this question before in your book . That is why I requested your response .

I concur with your views . In my mind , for Vaidhika Kaaryam related sankalpams , I feel that I am back in India and use the Coordinates used by our elders in India for centuries , while remembering that Raahu Kaalam and other computations start with the Sun Raise in the land of residence . BhagavAn knows where we are in His infinite realm and therefore I hesitate to
    add things like America KhaaNDE etc . I do not in my mind think that I am living at a place away from India .
    Thank you again ,
    V.Sadagopan

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
    please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
    Encourage your friends to become member of this forum.
    Best Wishes and Best Regards,
    Dr.NVS

Comment

ஸ்வாமின்னு , 27 03 2014 4.15pm

அடியேனுடைய அன்பர் , USல் , தர்ப்பண சங்கல்பத்தில்

எவ்வாறு மாற்றி உச்சரிக்கவேண்டும் என்று விக்ஞாபித்துள்ளார் ..

தேவரீரால் இந்த மாற்றத்தை அநுக்கிரஹிக்க முடியுமா ?

" பாரத வருஷே .. பரதக்கண்டே .. தக்ஷிணே பார்ஸ்வே .. "

போன்றவற்றில் உள்ள மாறுதல்கள் .. ??

அருள்கூர்ந்து பதில் அளிக்குமாறு ப்ரார்த்திக்கிறேன் ..

தாஸன் ..

அன்புடன்

திருமலை ஸ்ரீநிவாச வரதன் ..

To VAIDEEKAM@yahoogroups.com

Mar 28 at 11:21 AM
      இந்த பூலோகமே மேரு மலைக்குத் தெற்கே உள்ளதுதான். இந்த சங்கல்பமே இந்த பூலோகத்திற்குதான்.சங்கல்பத்தில் உள்ள பாரத வர்க்ஷே பரத கண்டே என்பவை இந்தியாவைக் குறிப்பவை அல்ல. ஆகவே பூலோகம் முழுவதும் ஒரே சங்பகல்பம்தான்.

இது அடியேனுடைய தாழ்மையான அபிப்பிராயம்.

Regards,
      P R Narasimhan.

Dear Swamin
      Thank you for referring to this issue to me.
      Please see the attachment for my view.
      Dasoham
      Anbil Ramaswamy

SANKALPAM IN INDIA AND IN U.S.A.
      The following are excerpts from Chapter 25 of “Hinduism Rediscovered” book which inter alia deals with the location that is recited in our Sankalpa
      “DVEEPAS (ISLANDS)
      While the Mahabhaarata gives an older version of the world model with just four dveepas arranged around Mount Meru, a fully developed model which is much more complex is also seen depicted in the Puranas. They mention seven dveepas surrounded by seven concentric oceans with Mount Meru standing at the center in what is known as Jambudveepa surrounded by an ocean of salt water which itself is surrounded alternately by circles of land and other oceans.
      This Mount Meru, or the “Golden Mountain” is described as 84,000 Yojanas in height, 16,000 Yojanas in depth unimaginably far above the surface of the earth, with a diameter of 32,000 Yojanas and a base of 16,000 Yojanas.
      The Jambudveepa itself is divided into 9 parts, with Bharata varsha at the center.
      The other 8 parts are described as “places of perfect enjoyment” (Bhoga Bhumi), where happiness is spontaneous and uninterrupted, without vicissitude, without age and death, without distinction of virtue or vice, without any change brought about by the cycle of ages.
      NOTE:
      U.S.A. may be described as “BhOga Bhoomi” may be in relation to India but it cannot be said to have the characteristics mentioned in the case of India – namely “where happiness is spontaneous and uninterrupted, without vicissitude, without age and death, without distinction of virtue or vice, without any change brought about by the cycle of ages”.
      Bharatavarsha is subject to the deterioration brought about by the succession of the four yugas; it knows suffering and death. But, it is the land of works (Karma Bhumi) which enables people to gain heaven or even final emancipation” – 18
      (e.g) In India, the locale part of the Sankalpa would be as follows:
      mErO: DakshiNE paarsvE On the southern side of Mount mEru
      Jambudveepe In the isle of the rose appleBharata Varshe In the region called Bharata VarshaBharatah Khande In the continent of Bharata etc.
      mErO: paschima dig bhaagE; on the western side of Mount mERu
      Ramanaka Varshe In the region called Ramanaka VarshaAindra Khande In the continent called AindraRocky – McKinley Parvatayor Madhye: Between the mountains of Rockey and McKinleyMisissipi- Missouri Ityaadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva Nadeenaam sameepa stite:

COMMENT:
      This does not seem to be correct because Mount mERu is situated unimaginably north and therefore mErO: dakshiNE paarsvE is to be applied anywhere in our world whether in India or U.S.A or Australia. Consequently, the other references to Dveepa, Varsha, Khanda etc should be as indicated in the location for India.
      ===========================================================

SrI:

Dear Sriman Anbil Swami :
      NamO Nama:
      Many thanks for your quick response .
      I remembered that you had answered this question before in your book . That is why I requested your response .

I concur with your views . In my mind , for Vaidhika Kaaryam related sankalpams , I feel that I am back in India and use the Coordinates used by our elders in India for centuries , while remembering that Raahu Kaalam and other computations start with the Sun Raise in the land of residence . BhagavAn knows where we are in His infinite realm and therefore I hesitate to
      add things like America KhaaNDE etc . I do not in my mind think that I am living at a place away from India .
      Thank you again ,
      V.Sadagopan

Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your vaideeka, Shastra, Sampradaya doubts,
      please visit frequently and share information anything you think that will be useful for this forum members.
      Dr.NVS

Comment

Very detailed and authentic explanation

Comment

Sir,
          But still while doing Mahasankalpam we mention the mountain ranges in India like Vindhyachalasya dakshina dik bhaage.. and lists the cities like Kasipuri,Avantikapuri,Kaanchipuri etc and also the rivers flowing here like theGanga,Yamuna,narmada,Sindu,Thungabadra,krishna.Cauvery etc., indicating clearly the location of the performer.Then how can we recite this in USA? Or can we skip these detailed descriptions and mention that "asmin Bhoolokay" ? I still don't get the right answer? I feel I started a discussion that still has to get the right answer. Bharatha Kanda means the Kanda ruled by King Bharatha. meaning India? But America? Europe? what shall we mention?
          i leave it to the learned members to discuss still more...
          sincerely,
          VaradarajanW
          Last edited by R.Varadarajan; 31-03-14, 17:49.

Comment

Sri:
            As per our elders and as per shastras staying and doing karmas other than India is no use.
            Hence it is difficult to give correct answer in this.
            Also none is authorized to amend any additional rule to shastras.
            As people are going on their own opinion they have to keep any one of the version
            suitable and convincing them.
            nvs

Dr.NVS

Comment

Working...
            X